Guys that have tracked your 570s.... please chime in!!! - McLaren Life
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Guys that have tracked your 570s.... please chime in!!!

Going to have my first session with the 570s at VIR next weekend. My skill level is advanced intermediate. I have always tracked my BMW M4. When I take my M4 out I make sure it’s got fresh Motul 600 in it and I have my Pagid racing pads and my track wheels/tires (NT01).
My 570s is tuned by Wisec and has full titanium catless exhaust from iPE. I will be running my track wheels/tires for the HPDE (Forelines with 245-315 R888r).
Do I need to flush out the brakes and put racing brake fluid in it? Does McLaren our conventional brake fluid in their cars or does it have a higher boiling point?
I just read a post about a 570s getting a bit hot on the track so this has me worried as it probably will be in the mid 90’s when I am tracking it.
Anything I should keep my eye on? What rpm’s are you guys shifting at? Anything that you guys can say that might help my first track experience with my 570s would be very helpful!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Only tracked 570S for a few days.

I think you are thinking too hard for a new car, take it out and find the limits, you seem like you know what you are doing Use your experience!

I dont think OEM brake fluid is anything too special, could be wrong tho...
post #3 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elonheater View Post
Going to have my first session with the 570s at VIR next weekend. My skill level is advanced intermediate. I have always tracked my BMW M4. When I take my M4 out I make sure it’s got fresh Motul 600 in it and I have my Pagid racing pads and my track wheels/tires (NT01).
My 570s is tuned by Wisec and has full titanium catless exhaust from iPE. I will be running my track wheels/tires for the HPDE (Forelines with 245-315 R888r).
Do I need to flush out the brakes and put racing brake fluid in it? Does McLaren our conventional brake fluid in their cars or does it have a higher boiling point?
I just read a post about a 570s getting a bit hot on the track so this has me worried as it probably will be in the mid 90’s when I am tracking it.
Anything I should keep my eye on? What rpm’s are you guys shifting at? Anything that you guys can say that might help my first track experience with my 570s would be very helpful!!!!
I noticed zero brake issues.

My car at VIR stock I could get the temps into the yellow. My car is now tuned so I have concerns as well. Let me know how you do please as my track day is a 5-6 weeks out still.

DME Tune | Soul Catless Exhuast | Weistec Filters and Blow Offs | Agency Power Wing

post #4 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

I will let you know for sure. What speeds were you getting on at the back straight? I am guessing mid 160. Also, at what point where you shifting at? I am guessing you were waiting for the shift lights to come on during the race mode.
Were you able to go through the kink on the front straight at wide open throttle or did you have to left off a bit?
One of the things I worry about is braking hard going 160 or so with 315’s in the rear, but from what I have heard..... the factory brakes are pretty substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphic Disorder View Post
Quote:
I noticed zero brake issues.

My car at VIR stock I could get the temps into the yellow. My car is now tuned so I have concerns as well. Let me know how you do please as my track day is a 5-6 weeks out still.
post #5 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
I will let you know for sure. What speeds were you getting on at the back straight? I am guessing mid 160. Also, at what point where you shifting at? I am guessing you were waiting for the shift lights to come on during the race mode.
Were you able to go through the kink on the front straight at wide open throttle or did you have to left off a bit?
One of the things I worry about is braking hard going 160 or so with 315’s in the rear, but from what I have heard..... the factory brakes are pretty substantial.
Stock I saw 170 on the back straight and there was more there, I struggle constantly with the oak tree turn and I definitely brake early. You can get through the front kink wide open but I do think I wasn't always carrying as much speed there as I could be. I was turning 2:14 laps like clock work stock and I have only been on track 2 times in my life and im 285-300lbs. I was shifting near end of the rev range.

Here is a few laps from my weekend:

DME Tune | Soul Catless Exhuast | Weistec Filters and Blow Offs | Agency Power Wing
post #6 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 05:35 PM

Can't say I've ever seen track video where the driver is listening to music...
post #7 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

How did you mount your GoPro?? Looks too far forward for you to have mounted on your back window.
post #8 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
Damn it Chappy, hes doing it his way!

post #9 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
Never seen top gear I guess then. LOL

post #10 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
How did you mount your GoPro?? Looks too far forward for you to have mounted on your back window.
It's on the front window.

post #11 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Never seen top gear I guess then. LOL
Stig never had music in the car while doing his time attacks.
post #12 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieGuy View Post
Stig never had music in the car while doing his time attacks.
Perfect, I wasn't doing a time attack either.

Also literally the first result in google, Stig doing a timed lap, music playing.
https://youtu.be/zrzUhSx36DM?t=95

post #13 of 35 Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Perfect, I wasn't doing a time attack either.

Also literally the first result in google, Stig doing a timed lap, music playing.
https://youtu.be/zrzUhSx36DM?t=95
Thats just him telepathically projecting his mind to you.

Really tho, post editing is where most of the magic happens on TV. Just messin with you.
post #14 of 35 Old 05-23-2019, 12:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have had my 570S on Track at VIR. Car was bone stock.
I am not sure how to qualify my skill level- I have done some amateur racing in an Ariel Atom and a couple BMW sedans. I had the lap record at VIR in both the Atom and one of my BMWs. I have probably 75 track days racing and other stuff at VIR.

The brakes in the 570 need nothing beyond stock.

The stability of the car braking at speed is enough to keep you wide awake- I’ll call it “lively.”
I would start with cold pressures from 24-25 psi (super annoying alarms going off until temps come up after 2-3 laps - kill the alarms with left stalk while going down the straight) with the goal of getting 29-30 hot. If your pressure gets into 32-33 range it is a bit too lose.

I was blitzing past 178/179 mph cresting the hill 2/3 of the way down the back straight- keep the throttle planted until after the crest or the rear will get too light. I coasted into braking zone after hill, not sure what I would have been doing if I kept it pinned - 180+?

I took the front straight kink wide open once- regretted it, didn’t do it again- the rear just does not have enough downforce at 150+.

I bought a 600 LT, breaking it in, can’t wait for VIR. Love that track.
PieGuy likes this.

C S

Last edited by sainthoo; 05-23-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #15 of 35 Old 05-23-2019, 12:42 AM

Bone stock 570S at NHMS last summer in July. Deep into the 90s and running in Advanced. Only 2 cars got by me all day. Well driven Vette who I followed the rest of that session, safe distance but with him. And a friggin Porsche cup car on slicks. I stayed with him on the straight, but he hit the brakes at 1 or less before turning. I thought if i tried that I would end up on the NASCAR oval blowing the turn (yeah, done that once).
And had AC cranked on full blast all day.

As you track out onto the straight keep the loud pedal mashed to the floor. Hit the brakes when you see God.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in