High-pitched noise when using nose lift (during uptake) - McLaren Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ILLCOMM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-05-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
routeparislosangeles

Garage
High-pitched noise when using nose lift (during uptake)

Owner of a 2016 570S coupe w/ roughly 7,000 miles now.

I have noticed a high-pitched noise coming from front lift system when raising the car. Only occurs when car is going up, nothing when car lowers.

Any info?

vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-06-2019, 02:38 AM
Owner

I actually have that high-pitched noise constantly. When the car is idling and when driving at low speeds, whether i’m using the lift or not. I’d describe it as the whining/whirring sound you hear when you operate hydraulic machinery. Is that what you are hearing as well?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil panda View Post
I actually have that high-pitched noise constantly. When the car is idling and when driving at low speeds, whether im using the lift or not. Id describe it as the whining/whirring sound you hear when you operate hydraulic machinery. Is that what you are hearing as well?
That is the electro-hydraulic steering pump (or whatever fancy name it has) and it is super annoying but a fact of life in McLarens.
evil panda likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-07-2019, 12:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
That is the electro-hydraulic steering pump (or whatever fancy name it has) and it is super annoying but a fact of life in McLarens.
thanks. i figured it was something like that.

as for the OP's problem, i don't know if this is helpful. i can hear the lift going up on my car (it's very faint though), but it sounds very much like the operation of a lifting device. it's very different from the pronounced constant whining/almost buzzing sound from the steering pump.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 AM

The "electro-hydronic steering pump" noise (quote from above) is driving me crazy - how that is acceptable is somewhat beyond me. All models seem to have this. Once focused on hearing it - hard to deal with. Hoping they can fix in the future. unfortunate.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Owner

My 570S has occasionally makes the same squeal noise during lifting. It's not normal, and the dealer has never heard it on mine. But they said it could be caused by moisture or the lifting mechanism is dried up in the shocks, but need to hear it to verify.

2017 570S - Ventura Orange
Sold- 2012 MP4-12C Alpha 7 - Fire Black
post #7 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM

It’s normal for it to whine as the pumps rotate. But to extend life, do not leave the front lift up when parking the car. This will cause it to fade and will eventually need replacing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in