Sport Cup 2s on 600LT OEM Wheels - McLaren Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 71
Sport Cup 2s on 600LT OEM Wheels

I can't find Trofeo Rs and need another set of comparable tires.

Sport Cups 2s seem to have rear sizing fine, but I would have to squeeze 235/35/19 on the front. Anyone run that width on the OEM rim? Does it rub? Tire says it's cool w/ 8" rim.

Quote:
235/35ZR19/XL (91Y) 76070

MILEAGE WARRANTY
STANDARD

TREAD FEATURE
ASY

SIDEWALL
BSW

RIM WIDTH RANGE (MIN/MAX)
8" - 9.5"
SECTION WIDTH ON MEASURING RIM WIDTH
9.5" ON 8.5"

OVERALL DIAMETER
25.5

REVS/MI
817

TREAD DEPTH (IN 32NDS)
7.2
ECO FEATURE


MAX LOAD, SINGLE (LB @ PSI)
[email protected]

TIRE WEIGHT
21.54
ILLCOMM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 575
If it is within that tire's rim fit range, then it is fine. I have access to 600lt wheels if anyone is interested in them.
PM me with interest.

XPRD
XPRD is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-17-2019, 11:27 PM
 
Pilota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
I can't find Trofeo Rs and need another set of comparable tires.

Sport Cups 2s seem to have rear sizing fine, but I would have to squeeze 235/35/19 on the front. Anyone run that width on the OEM rim? Does it rub? Tire says it's cool w/ 8" rim.
What Rear Cup 2's are you planning to run with those Front 235-35-19's, that have 25.5" OD, which is 0.3" larger than stock ?
The 295-30-20 Rears have a 27.0 OD, which is 0.9" SMALLER than stock, giving a 1.2" change in rake.
Similarly, the Rear 305-30-20 has a 27.2" OD that is 0.7" smaller than stock, for a 1.0" change in rake.
Both are undesirable, especially at high speed.
There are NO Front 235-30-19 Cup 2's to go with Rear 295-30-20's; or NO 295-35-20 Rears to pair with the 235-35-19 Front's.

Last edited by Pilota; 04-18-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Pilota is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilota View Post
What Rear Cup 2's are you planning to run with those Front 235-35-19's, that have 25.5" OD, which is 0.3" larger than stock ?
The 295-30-20 Rears have a 27.0 OD, which is 0.9" SMALLER than stock, giving a 1.2" change in rake.
Similarly, the Rear 305-30-20 has a 27.2" OD that is 0.7" smaller than stock, for a 1.0" change in rake.
Both are undesirable, especially at high speed.
There are NO Front 235-30-19 Cup 2's to go with Rear 295-30-20's; or NO 295-35-20 Rears to pair with the 235-35-19 Front's.
I think you're right. Thanks for calling this out. How much "rake" affects anything, I have no idea. But I think you're technically correct on the size difference.
ILLCOMM is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 AM
 
Pilota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
I think you're right. Thanks for calling this out. How much "rake" affects anything, I have no idea. But I think you're technically correct on the size difference.
Rake makes a Huge difference in handling especially at speed.
Raise the front and lower the back, and the car will try to take off at speed, and the steering will get Very light.
In Michelin PS4S, there are these pairings that keep the front to rear OD's spread similar to stock:
235-35-19 and 295-35-20
245-30-19 and 305-30-20
Pilota is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-24-2019, 09:09 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 43
As of now, no one has been able to fit a 245-35-19 on the front of the 600 (without modifying the fender liners). I went with the 235-35-19 and 305-30-20 sizes knowing the rake is different. This is a street setup for me and I doubt there will be a noticeable difference in handling. That 1" rake increase might reduce downforce at higher speeds and could affect things like initial turn-in but again, I'm thinking it won't be bad. I'll let you know if it does.
fstclyz is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-25-2019, 12:02 AM
 
Pilota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstclyz View Post
As of now, no one has been able to fit a 245-35-19 on the front of the 600 (without modifying the fender liners). I went with the 235-35-19 and 305-30-20 sizes knowing the rake is different. This is a street setup for me and I doubt there will be a noticeable difference in handling. That 1" rake increase might reduce downforce at higher speeds and could affect things like initial turn-in but again, I'm thinking it won't be bad. I'll let you know if it does.
On the Front of the 570S, the clearance problem is with the diameter, NOT the width of the tire.
Any Front tire size with an OD much above the stock 25.2" OD will hit the fencer liner in the front in full lock turning.
A 245-30-19 has an OD of 24.8", and should have NO clearance issues, like the 245-35-19.
The 245-30-19 fits on an 8" wheel, and pairs with the 305-30-20 rear that has an 27.2 OD; so the rake OD change is only 0.3" , or 0.15" lower in the rear.
Pilota is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,804
Good info thanks
dvandentop is online now  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-25-2019, 03:23 AM
570S Owner
 
worldattorney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 24
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilota View Post
On the Front of the 570S, the clearance problem is with the diameter, NOT the width of the tire.
Any Front tire size with an OD much above the stock 25.2" OD will hit the fencer liner in the front in full lock turning.
A 245-30-19 has an OD of 24.8", and should have NO clearance issues, like the 245-35-19.
The 245-30-19 fits on an 8" wheel, and pairs with the 305-30-20 rear that has an 27.2 OD; so the rake OD change is only 0.3" , or 0.15" lower in the rear.
Great info...exactly info I was looking for
worldattorney is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM
 
Pilota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldattorney View Post
Great info...exactly info I was looking for
Yes, 245-30-19 and 305-30-20 PSS4's is what I'm going for, as soon as my new wheels arrive.
I've researched it extensively, and Kurt can confirm that it's the Front OD that is critical, as well as the front to rear OD difference for rake and ABS,
I'll post photos of the wheels, and wheel tire combination on the car when installed.
Pilota is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilota View Post
Yes, 245-30-19 and 305-30-20 PSS4's is what I'm going for, as soon as my new wheels arrive.
I've researched it extensively, and Kurt can confirm that it's the Front OD that is critical, as well as the front to rear OD difference for rake and ABS,
I'll post photos of the wheels, and wheel tire combination on the car when installed.
You are correct in that the OD is the critical size in this instance for the front rubbing.

As an additional note: The rear fender liner on the 600LT is different from the 570S/GT thus, we have been having those Finspeed customers stick with the 285 Trofeo R. While some have wanted to switch to Michelin Cup 2s; the proper OD would result in a 325 for the rear but it would be close. We think it may work and if someone is brave enough to try this, please report back. We may try to test a Cup 2 to be sure but until then, and unless someone else can chime in with good results with this tire, we recommend the stock Trofeo R size in the rear for a 600LT.

Kurt
Kfehling is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 04-30-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilota View Post
What Rear Cup 2's are you planning to run with those Front 235-35-19's, that have 25.5" OD, which is 0.3" larger than stock ?
The 295-30-20 Rears have a 27.0 OD, which is 0.9" SMALLER than stock, giving a 1.2" change in rake.
Similarly, the Rear 305-30-20 has a 27.2" OD that is 0.7" smaller than stock, for a 1.0" change in rake.
Both are undesirable, especially at high speed.
There are NO Front 235-30-19 Cup 2's to go with Rear 295-30-20's; or NO 295-35-20 Rears to pair with the 235-35-19 Front's.
I think you missed a combo: Sport Cup 2s in 235/35 ZR19 and 285/35 R20.

This combo results in 0.3" taller front tire with (obviously) no change in rear. A 1.2% change in rake. I really have no idea, but that feels like a reasonable setup, no? And if not, I wonder if the suspension has an adjustable height?
Attached Images
 

Last edited by ILLCOMM; 04-30-2019 at 04:21 AM.
ILLCOMM is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 05-01-2019, 02:46 AM
 
Pilota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
I think you missed a combo: Sport Cup 2s in 235/35 ZR19 and 285/35 R20.

This combo results in 0.3" taller front tire with (obviously) no change in rear. A 1.2% change in rake. I really have no idea, but that feels like a reasonable setup, no? And if not, I wonder if the suspension has an adjustable height?
Yes, the OD of the 235-35-19 will pair with 285-35-20, since the front 235 is only 0.3" greater OD, and only raises the front 0.15"
But, you are widening the fronts 225 to 235, while leaving the rears at the stock 285 width.
Some on the forum think that the 570s has understeer, and could use wider front tires compared to the rears.
I have not found that to be the case, and would prefer to widen the fronts and rears proportionally, 235 & 295, or 245 & 305.
High speed oversteer is scarier than low speed understeer in my experience, so I would not under-tire the rears, especially with the HP.
Pilota is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 05-01-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilota View Post
Yes, the OD of the 235-35-19 will pair with 285-35-20, since the front 235 is only 0.3" greater OD, and only raises the front 0.15"
But, you are widening the fronts 225 to 235, while leaving the rears at the stock 285 width.
Some on the forum think that the 570s has understeer, and could use wider front tires compared to the rears.
I have not found that to be the case, and would prefer to widen the fronts and rears proportionally, 235 & 295, or 245 & 305.
High speed oversteer is scarier than low speed understeer in my experience, so I would not under-tire the rears, especially with the HP.
Thanks.

I don't drive with ESC off, just not worth it IMO especially with ESC Dyn as an option. As such, I am not super worried about dangerous oversteer (if it really increases at all). I've not noticed any grip issues on the rear end (pretty amazing given HP), just perhaps some mild push on front end. Ultimately I doubt 225 -> 235 width is going to make too much of a difference. Probably also lose some grip with the SC2 vs Trofeo R. I think it's worth the experiment given the Trofeo R wear issues, availability, and the car's camber limitations.

Last edited by ILLCOMM; 05-01-2019 at 04:21 PM.
ILLCOMM is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P-zero Corsa vs Pilot Sport Cup 2 maa_amg McLaren 650S 39 12-19-2016 06:02 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for 12C? actionman McLaren MP4-12C 17 07-12-2016 02:33 PM
Pirelli P zero or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2? kasavuba McLaren 650S 2 01-27-2016 03:42 PM
991 GT3 2:01 (Cup 2s) at Monza vs 458S 2:00 (Trofeo Rs) Mycroft Other Road Cars (SLR, M6GT, M81) 8 03-22-2015 12:56 PM
Iris 2S and rear view camera. Can you folks going to Geneva ask about these? noone1 McLaren MP4-12C 83 04-09-2014 03:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome