How much to pay? 570S - Page 6 - McLaren Life
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 88 Old 05-15-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw99 View Post
Maybe the key question to ask is how long a McLaren dealer will try to sell a used 570S before “dumping” it at auction/wholesale. The skilled buyer would show up just before that happens, with just enough $$$ to get the car. And perhaps leverage a service or extended warranty discount into the deal?

Personally, I just wish I knew whether it’s insane to drive a 570S without a warranty. Burning around $7000 a year on service and extended warranty may just take this car off my list. And that’d be a shame.

Rich
I just got back from driving a 570S at Exotics Racing. The car was a lot of fun to drive. Honestly not sure it's worth the extra cost (price + warranty/maintenance) over my R8 though. If I bought one, it would be mostly due to the exterior design and to try something different.

They have 3 570S cars and a 720S. Only one 570S was running. The others were in the shop. When the MP4-12C came out, Exotics Racing bought a few. They discontinued them shortly after because they couldn't keep them running. Maybe the warranty is necessary.

The instructors there were all impressed with the NSX as an overall car. It was a lot better to drive than I expected. Not quite as fun as the 570S though. Closer in feel to the R8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 88 Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary(SF) View Post
$7k/year for extended warranty and maintenance sounds high to me...in my experience it's more like $4.5 - 5.0, unless there has been a big increase in the 570S extended warranty in the last few months. I thought the big increase was on the 12C, not the 570.
I stated above it's now $4600/year to extend the warranty and the maintenance is on average $2500/year = $7,100

...yes $1,700-2,500 to change the oil and inspect the car, ridiculous if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
I am leaning more towards a 2017 but there is a 1-owner 2016 that's been for sale since last December with no price changes. Car is pretty much just what I'm looking for and has less than 2K miles and they are asking $165K. Only problem is the warranty expires in 2 months. That's not a lot of time to complete purchase and get warranty extended before it expires. This car is NOT at a Mac dealer.

Would you consider this one and if so, what would you offer? Or, should I just look for a 2017 with a year or more left on the warranty and a few more miles on it (but less than 8K)?
For the 2016, I would use the extended warranty and upcoming maintenance as leverage (assuming it's been maintained to date). If you show him listings of 2017's at the same price point with another year of warranty, see if you can knock it down. Personally for a 2016, I wouldn't pay more than $150k due to the supply of cars and weak demand. He's not going to sell the car private party for $165k in todays market, throw a strong off of $150k (Cash assuming you don't need to finance) and make it a quick n easy transaction on both ends. If he doesn't take it, walk and wait a month, then come back at him with the same offer.
post #78 of 88 Old 05-16-2019, 02:59 PM

I've been following this thread because I am working with Chad & Mike at McPhilly on a 570. I prefer a 17 so I have some manuf warranty left but they said they can get a Mantis 2016 in the 155 range. I have no details on the car yet. I think max id want to spend on a 16 is in the high 140s, what do you all think?

post #79 of 88 Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM

Hey guys I'm considering selling my '17 Volcano Yellow 570S with 3900 miles. What's a fair price for both buyer and seller? Car has the unlimited miles warranty until May 28, 2020. MSRP was $216,480, plus Newport McLaren put on a FULL car clear bar, window tint, and skid plates. I didn't know the car had full car clear bra until after a year I had the car as the clear bra was that clear and good. So how much does a full car clear bra adds to the resale value? I think the original cost was like $8K as this with all the scoops, channels, and aero elements is very difficult to do.

2017 Volcano Yellow 570S
post #80 of 88 Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotykb View Post

...yes $1,700-2,500 to change the oil and inspect the car, ridiculous if you ask me
You are right on the nose, Newport charged me $1682 for the annual maintenance and oil change. Ouch... Should have taken car elsewhere but they were looking at my intermittent comfort entry issue so I thought just have them do that. Big mistake and money not well spent. Won't do it again.

2017 Volcano Yellow 570S
post #81 of 88 Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
I've been following this thread because I am working with Chad & Mike at McPhilly on a 570. I prefer a 17 so I have some manuf warranty left but they said they can get a Mantis 2016 in the 155 range. I have no details on the car yet. I think max id want to spend on a 16 is in the high 140s, what do you all think?

This is where I'm at as well. Would prefer a 17' but would like to stay in the $140's. Lots of these cars have been sitting on lots for months. As mentioned earlier, there is a big supply and low demand at the moment.
post #82 of 88 Old 05-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
This is where I'm at as well. Would prefer a 17' but would like to stay in the $140's. Lots of these cars have been sitting on lots for months. As mentioned earlier, there is a big supply and low demand at the moment.
Luckily I'm in no rush and wouldn't mind waiting until late fall anyways. I have an 18 Cts V to keep me occupied. 140s and complete maint. history is the only way I would get a 16.
post #83 of 88 Old Today, 02:11 AM

How terribly unreliable are these cars? $7k/yr in maintenance and warranty could pay for a lot of things...

In other words - if you DIY your maintenance (oil change, grease, etc) and have the occasional item break, do you think you'd spend $7k/yr? $20k in a 3-year time frame? $20k in breaks is pretty unreliable...
post #84 of 88 Old Today, 02:21 AM
570S Silica White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotykb View Post

When looking for a 570s on the used market, is it wise to call the dealer with the VIN to verify it currently has the maintenance and extended warranty package currently on the car? From what I've read, the extended warranty coverage (~$4800/year) is a must on these cars and to keep that intact, you need to to the maintenance and the dealer right?
Just checked with McLaren SF...570S extended warranty did indeed go up in price, from $3500 to $3999.
post #85 of 88 Old Today, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Just checked with McLaren SF...570S extended warranty did indeed go up in price, from $3500 to $3999.

How much use have you gotten out of your warranty since you've had your car?

The $500 increase sure beats the big one the 12C (and I assume the 650) got.
post #86 of 88 Old Today, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Confirmed. There’s a bit of a discount if you opt for a two-year contract.

Rich
Gary(SF) likes this.
post #87 of 88 Old Today, 01:44 PM
570S Silica White

Quote:
How much use have you gotten out of your warranty since you've had your car?

No use at all. But I see that as a good thing, it's an insurance policy and I'm just as happy never to use it. My car has been just super reliable so I'm counting my blessings, but I'll continue to buy the warranty extension.
Jeff M likes this.
post #88 of 88 Old Today, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBruce View Post
Hey guys I'm considering selling my '17 Volcano Yellow 570S with 3900 miles. What's a fair price for both buyer and seller? Car has the unlimited miles warranty until May 28, 2020. MSRP was $216,480, plus Newport McLaren put on a FULL car clear bar, window tint, and skid plates. I didn't know the car had full car clear bra until after a year I had the car as the clear bra was that clear and good. So how much does a full car clear bra adds to the resale value? I think the original cost was like $8K as this with all the scoops, channels, and aero elements is very difficult to do.
Im still a noob with Mac values but I know a 19 with that msrp can be had under 200. 160s could be fair. See what Newport offers you maybe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in