Probably a dumb question... - McLaren Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark ANTAR
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Probably a dumb question...

But does the back of the car lift up to view the engine? Trying to weigh my options between the 570s and a huracan. The doors on the Mac are a big plus but I like being able to show the engine, and haven't seen a photo of a 570 with that lifted.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 03:57 AM

It's not a dumb question at all. I was wondering the same thing back when I first saw the 570S.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the 570S does not have the ability for you to easily open up the engine cover. For what it's worth, it IS removable. However, it's not a process you'd likely be interested in doing at for instance a car show (which I assume is why you're asking about this). You'd first need to remove two screws located under the small flap that pops up (where you'll find the engine oil filler and coolant filler). After those screws are removed, I believe it's just a matter of lifting up the engine cover on the backside to release it from some retaining clips and then carefully pulling outward toward you, all while being sure not to scratch the palladium gray trim surrounding the engine cover.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 06:10 AM
J1n

@FutureMclarenOwner yeah i was slightly disappointed that it didn't have a see through glass or like you said a cover than can be lifted up easily.

Not sure why they designed it this way.. perhaps cooling & aerodynamics

post #4 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Mark Antar Design
Owner

You can easily see the engine through the mesh though and I hear that it's more visible in person than what we've seen in photos.

For renderings, contact me at: [email protected]
post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM

One of the first things I noticed too
For a design that supposed to be more daily driven and user friendly
I thought the non accessible rear bonnet was a bit weird. I just don't like the idea of not being able to dry and clean all the elements away when needed. Maybe someone can explain the idea behind this versus the traditional bonnet cover?

2018 570s Spider Ceramic Gray
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Mark Antar Design
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndgt3 View Post
One of the first things I noticed too
For a design that supposed to be more daily driven and user friendly
I thought the non accessible rear bonnet was a bit weird. I just don't like the idea of not being able to dry and clean all the elements away when needed. Maybe someone can explain the idea behind this versus the traditional bonnet cover?
Designing it this way makes servicing the car much easier. The mechanic would have to remove only 2 screws and will have access to more components under the skin.
Patricko likes this.
post #7 of 9 Unread 05-16-2019, 05:07 PM

The design of the rear deck lid allows for enhanced blind spot visibility. As for seeing the engine you can see it very well in the daytime.
post #8 of 9 Unread 05-16-2019, 05:46 PM
Owner

Since the 570s is near the end of its model run, the price is likely to drop. How much it drops will probably depend upon the lust which its replacement generates. According to the head of McLaren North America, with whom I had drinks yesterday, the replacement will look radically aggressive. We'll see.
post #9 of 9 Unread 05-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Spec 570 Spider soon

...and most likely will be a hybrid V6 with electric motor assist from the rumor mill I've been listening to...

An adage from the misspent youth of my skydiving days: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast..."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in