More track adventures - McLaren Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-27-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

More track adventures

I was on my way to Road Atlanta with Chin last weekend, when my Q7 TDI went into limp mode. Thankfully I was 8 miles away from a dealership. (Audi Columbia, SC) They got me in and diagnosed the issue (bad EGR valve) which at 4:00 on the beginning of a three day holiday weekend the car was NOT getting fixed. A quick call around yielded NO trucks for rent I decide to unload the 570 GT swap wheels (didn't get to change over to McLaren TPMS sensors yet on track wheels) load as much into the 570 as I could and off I went. (REALLY glad for the extra luggage space of the GT!)
Well the car was perfect the whole trip. What a great long distance driver.

Despite a lengthy driving career I opted to drive in a slower group since I was running the stock PZeros (Killed them after 4,000 miles in 8 months of ownership) not the PSC2's. The car was great at the track. I finally got more comfortable with the car and was able to elicit some good rotation through corners. The regular PZero may not offer the ultimate stick of other tires, but when you get the sweet spot for tire pressure (35 front -38 rear) the feedback from the car is great and you can really feel the car move around you. I drove the car home the next day and it was a comfortable fast drive back to Charleston, SC running 90 mph most of the time while getting 27 mpg!

So I need new street tires and was going to opt for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have run them on cars in the past and LOVED them, but some say the PS4 is a better tire. Anyone with experience with both that cares to offer an opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-29-2019, 11:57 PM

I tried switching to the PS4 from the SS on my Vette and after a couple of days parts of the tread were breaking off in chunks from my front tires. I also saw no improvement over the SS in lap times. They replaced the PS4s and gave me partial credit, but because of other car issues I never got to try the replacements. So I can't be sure if all the PS4 are like that or there are just some defective ones. I do know that at least one other person had the same problem.

I would just stick with the SS.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-11-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Great time at Roebling Road Raceway last weekend. The weather was mixed to I back to back tested the PSS and the PSC2. Both are amazing tires. Once you tune the tire pressures correctly the car is great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in