McLaren GT Grand Touring - Page 15 - McLaren Life
 114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #211 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 02:46 PM

I haven't seen them close enough to tell the difference, but if you look at the 720S Spider, the tub looks the same as the 570GT, but with window frame and rear deck connected to it, but obviously not a continuous piece. I assumed then that they would simply put the 570S stuff inside the 720S structure rather than try to fit the 720S stuff into the 570S structure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewu View Post
The 2018 570GT's optional electrochromic roof has a divider down the middle:

Interesting, because this one didn't have it. Must have been a new version of the glass that they eventually changed it to.

post #213 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
Interesting, because this one didn't have it. Must have been a new version of the glass that they eventually changed it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIMyMAEtJE
Yeah, I'm also surprised that it got a "mid-cycle refresh" -- I have also seen the Long Island dealer video and did a double take when the 2018 MSO 570GT got shown. However, the 720S Spider's electrochromic roof doesn't have a divider…

Last edited by shewu; 05-16-2019 at 02:55 PM.

post #214 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 03:06 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by A West View Post
hmm, so this is the official mclaren forum where only happy thoughts and Mclaren <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym> drivel is ok or Neil?
Not at all! But I am surprised that people go to such lengths to say how much they dislike the car.

I really donít have the time or energy to waste on things I donít like. But maybe thatís why I donít own a McLaren.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
Random McLaren of the day.#McLaren #RMTD
post #215 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen them close enough to tell the difference, but if you look at the 720S Spider, the tub looks the same as the 570GT, but with window frame and rear deck connected to it, but obviously not a continuous piece. I assumed then that they would simply put the 570S stuff inside the 720S structure rather than try to fit the 720S stuff into the 570S structure.

The fact that the tub is called "Monocell-T" rather than "Monocage-T" implies to me that it does not have the windshield frame, but likely has the rear deck frame.
eMcL likes this.
post #216 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 03:16 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Yeah it's part of a SAE standard ó

https://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-e...-to-1825183881
Only 3 golf balls? Thatís not enough to get me to the first hole 🤣
eMcL likes this.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
Random McLaren of the day.#McLaren #RMTD
post #217 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewu View Post
The fact that the tub is called "Monocell-T" rather than "Monocage-T" implies to me that it does not have the windshield frame, but likely has the rear deck frame.
Yes. The 720S is a monocage with support for the roof and door hinge. The 570S uses mono cell as in your photo. The McLaren GT uses the modified mono cell - T

Last edited by eMcL; 05-16-2019 at 03:23 PM.
post #218 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 05:04 PM

I think this car makes sense for many ppl who are current AM or Bentley customers ... especially ppl who only need 2 seats. I guess it is a necessary niche model as the upcoming Sports Series might be more extreme/sporty than the current one and probably wont have the possibility of a GT version with the Hybrid tech which takes up space too, but that is only a guess ...

For me it makes sense for ppl who want sth more sporty than a Bentley GT and also probably a Lusso or AM DB11 (remember the car is over 200kg lighter and accelerates quiet a bit faster than a Lusso V12) so its certainly a more sporty drive than the former mentioned ones ... However this is in no way a super car like the 720s or 812sf (half GT/half supercar in my opinion but much more expensive) and it also does not look like it wants to be that ...

Current Cars:

2019: 720s MSO Atlantic Blue
2010: MB SLS coupe
1957: MB 300SL Roadster
1956: Porsche 356 Conv. A 1600S
+several other Audi Porsche and Mercedes cars
post #219 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 07:14 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I'm surprised by some of the general praise/appeal I'm seeing outside of this form. I personally think it's the worst car they've made thus far. It makes little sense whatsoever. And a few things to note.

1. It's not a game changer in terms of space. Ferrari mid-engines have always been able to fit clubs behind the seat. Hell, even the Spider can fit them behind the seat. And if you want, you can even fit a large duffle on top of them. Fitting a set of club in the McLaren is not impressive. Golfing + supercars is an outdated model anyway. It's Robin Leach-era market research. Who are these people? Do they even exist still? It's probably cheaper to leave a set of clubs are you favorite course or just ship them to your hotel. Not to mention if you're significant other doesn't golf too, you do, you know, have this giant spacious area called the "passenger seat" to put your clubs.

1.5. The space is large in number, but not all "space" is created equally. Long and shallow with curves and weird spaces may be bigger than a box, but last time I checked, most stuff is shaped like boxes, not long shallow boxes. The space is ideal of soft, long bags like duffles, and duffles can already be crammed into many other spaces -- like the enormously deep frunk or behind the seats. Why the hell do I want a long tubular channel in my trunk? All my suitcases are squares and rectangles! So are the boxes of pretty much everything that you buy in a store! I can't of the last time Amazon sent me a package in the shape of a cylinder...

2. Other sport equipment like skis or whatever is meaningless. Who the hell can afford a $200K+ two-seater and would choose that for their ski trip? Just take your damn Cayenne or RR that you obviously have. Or just rent one. McLarens my technically work in the snow, but no who actually has them think it's worth the effort. I'd rather have a roof rack on my McLaren than a weird hatch.

3. A 911 Turbo likely has just as much space in the rear and is higher performance. 812 Superfast is likely more space, more accessible, more comfortable, and just as exotic. Just because this is a rear "mid-engine" doesn't mean it's a game changer. Rear-mid isn't the end-all of sports cars. There are plenty of front-mid cars that are cooler and better than rear-mid.

4. It's not nearly as easy to get into with these doors. No one who is looking for "comfort" and "practicality" thinks a McLaren fits the bill. The 720s is better than this.

5. The 720S already has tons of luggage space for what the average couple will need on any given road trip. The frunk is big and so is the area behind the seats. The idea that older couples plan on taking month-long road trips with huge cargo needs is absurd. If you can afford a $200K, how about you stop being such a cheap ass and overnight your luggage or shopping purchases back home? What does it cost to send a giant suitcase to a hotel or have DHL pick it up? $100? Probably a hell of a lot less than the $2+/mile of depreciation you're putting on your car on such road trips.

So yeah, this car is fucking dumb. It shows the constraints of their limited use platform. If they wanted a GT, they should have made a proper one. I'd rather have a McLaren SUV than a shittier, shittier looking 720S. A used 720S is probably $250K nowadays and probably less by the time the GT arrives. You're nuts if you buy this over a used 720S.

Here is the TLDR for the above: waahhhhh not everyone thinks like me.
post #220 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 PM

We'll see when the sales happen (or don't.) Let's not forget this seems to have an identical interior to P13, so I don't know what they were thinking with that one.

Should we also forget that AM and Bentley, supposed kings of the niche, have poor financial performance? Perhaps the niche just isn't such a good one to pursue in the first place? AM can't turn a profit to save its life.

Last edited by noone2; 05-16-2019 at 07:50 PM.
post #221 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Game Changer (and notorious flop):
NSX flop had more to do with bad looks and performance — run over by the 570S
post #222 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
We'll see when the sales happen (or don't.) Let's not forget this seems to have an identical interior to P13, so I don't know what they were thinking with that one.

Should we also forget that AM and Bentley, supposed kings of the niche, have poor financial performance? Perhaps the niche just isn't such a good one to pursue in the first place? AM can't turn a profit to save its life.
I honestly dont get why youre so upset by this car. Lots of car makers make models that I have no interest in, but I understand others do have an interest in them. I hate SUVs, but I get that most people need/want/like them.

You might be right, and this recipe wont hit a cord, and might not sell well, but then again, good for McLaren giving it a try. But for whatever reason, I really kind of dont care, because this car aint for me. If it was something I WAS interested in and dissappointed in what I thought that model would be, I get being upset or more invested.

Was this a model you were interested in @noone2. I mean not the way it came out, but before then, was it something you were thinking about getting in to?
post #223 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
NSX flop had more to do with bad looks and performance ó run over by the 570S
Agree. They are giving a 20k discount off the best deal you can get. Not sure what that means. They are producing so little. But the base model is 159k, and frankly, I wouldnt upgrade anything on the base model. It's fine. My speculation is you might be able to kick say 9k off in haggling, then another 20k back. At 130k it's a great car.

I wish it had another 20hp or so. I'm also not a fan of hybrids as I just dont want to deal with long term maintenance, but I suspect I'm being a luddite there.
post #224 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
Agree. They are giving a 20k discount off the best deal you can get. Not sure what that means. They are producing so little. But the base model is 159k, and frankly, I wouldnt upgrade anything on the base model. It's fine. My speculation is you might be able to kick say 9k off in haggling, then another 20k back. At 130k it's a great car.

I wish it had another 20hp or so. I'm also not a fan of hybrids as I just dont want to deal with long term maintenance, but I suspect I'm being a luddite there.
Yes. It is a good car to drive ó the AWD is great. Don't think maintenance would be much of a problem, it is a Honda after all and the NSX forum doesn't have too many maintenance issues reported ó some gripes on $700 oil changes! But I agree that the NSX is a complex car and your concerns for the longer term maybe valid.
With all that technology the NSX should have performed better and had McLaren doors Ö. oh well
post #225 of 367 Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
I honestly dont get why youre so upset by this car. Lots of car makers make models that I have no interest in, but I understand others do have an interest in them. I hate SUVs, but I get that most people need/want/like them.

You might be right, and this recipe wont hit a cord, and might not sell well, but then again, good for McLaren giving it a try. But for whatever reason, I really kind of dont care, because this car aint for me. If it was something I WAS interested in and dissappointed in what I thought that model would be, I get being upset or more invested.

Was this a model you were interested in @noone2. I mean not the way it came out, but before then, was it something you were thinking about getting in to?
I'm interested in all rear-mid exotics. I was expecting a completely new car with the underlying 720S architecture. What I got was a 570S with a little more HP. I think a car's interior is more important than its performance and this interior came out 5 years ago, so yeah, it's a disappointment. I would never buy a car with an old interior. This is one reason I think the F8 is so lame -- it's a 488 with new vents.
ZombiePhysicist and kovalser like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in