Time for new tires - McLaren Life
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Unread 05-27-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Time for new tires

Well it took 4,000 miles, half of which were on the track, but I finally killed the OE PZeros on my 2018 570 GT (sport package). I know many people say negative things about them, but all in all I was pleased with them. Not super sticky but consistent and easy to read, I found them a good way to learn the limits of the car.
I have plenty of experience with the Michelin PSS, and they seem to be the "go to" tire of choice, but I am debating between the PSS and the PS4. Any feedback on both would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 05-27-2019, 09:59 PM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer37 View Post
Well it took 4,000 miles, half of which were on the track, but I finally killed the OE PZeros on my 2018 570 GT (sport package). I know many people say negative things about them, but all in all I was pleased with them. Not super sticky but consistent and easy to read, I found them a good way to learn the limits of the car.
I have plenty of experience with the Michelin PSS, and they seem to be the "go to" tire of choice, but I am debating between the PSS and the PS4. Any feedback on both would be helpful.

If you want to stay in the same class of tires as the PZero, the PS4S is your droid. Best in that class of tires. When they built it to supercede the PSS, they focused on improving wet performance...which is now spectacular, w/o hurting dry performance. Have a look at Tire Rack's comparo of PS4S vs Conti ECS vs Pirelli PZero here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223

And here's some testing I did for GRM of PS4S versus Conti ECS on my 12C: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...laren-mp4-12c/

Note the PS4 is not the same as PS4S. PS4 is a Euro-only tire (and a few sizes here in North America). Not at the same level as the PS4S.

If you want something that is a little stickier, but still fine to drive around on the street even in the rain, consider the Bridgestone RE71R...it's typically two seconds a lap faster than the PS4S in the dry, but slower in the wet. Also a little more harsh on the street.

If you want to take a bigger step up, there's various r-comps like NT01, R888R, PZero Corsa, Trofeo R, etc. But doesn't sound like want that sort of thing.

Last edited by AWH; 05-27-2019 at 10:07 PM.
post #3 of 7 Unread 05-28-2019, 03:02 AM
Owner

How.is road noise vs the pzero with foam inserts?

post #4 of 7 Unread 05-28-2019, 12:08 PM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
How.is road noise vs the pzero with foam inserts?

Road noise with PS4S is just a touch more harsh than PZero...mostly due to less void in the tread design. Though fresh PS4S will be quieter than worn-down PZero.

If road noise is a concern, I'd recommend Conti ECS over the PZero, anyway. Way better tire, super quiet on the highway, can drive aggressively in any non-freezing weather, cuts through deep water like it isn't even there.

IMO, there is simply no good reason to put a PZero back on one of these cars.
post #5 of 7 Unread 05-28-2019, 01:28 PM
Owner

For a mostly street tire, i like PS4S as well. The PZero’s are fine, though, at the same price point i’d go Michelins but would consider the Pirellis if they were much cheaper (no such luck) or came OEM like the 570s does.

But are you going to continue to track the car as frequently as you have? If so, would you consider the PSC2? They aren’t as great in the rain, though, from my personal experience
post #6 of 7 Unread 05-28-2019, 08:36 PM
Owner

Thanks Andy appreciate all the info on tires
post #7 of 7 Unread 06-03-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I have a second set of wheels with PSC2's on them for the track. I ordered the PSS. I have had good luck with them in the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in