Tracking without insurance? - McLaren Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-06-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Tracking without insurance?

Just wondering how many people do an occasional track day without insurance.
I just signed up for a Porsche club DE and was not planning on getting track insurance. I have done about 10 of these over the years with my 993. I donít push real hard and have never had a spin or gone off track. Am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 PM

Only crazy if you cant afford to fix or replace your car and possibly the track damage, depending on how the track you are on deals with things.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-06-2019, 03:37 PM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex View Post
Just wondering how many people do an occasional track day without insurance.
I just signed up for a Porsche club DE and was not planning on getting track insurance. I have done about 10 of these over the years with my 993. I donít push real hard and have never had a spin or gone off track. Am I crazy?

Can you afford to write off the car?

While you may reduce your risk by not driving 10/10ths, things can happen that are out of your control. Fluid on track (especially a problem with Porsches and their stupid glued-on water outlets), spun out car after a blind corner entry, tire puncture from debris, etc. I've encountered all of these.

Insurance is totally a risk/reward game. Nothing crazy about either having or not having it.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-06-2019, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ive tracked a few times in the P1 without insurance. Self insured as they say. Its very difficult to get track insurance on cars over $300k, and damn near impossible on cars over $1m.

I saw a guy total a 650 sprint on track. Coolant leak. Yeah, @#$% happens.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 03:44 AM
Owner

Garage
I've been tracking since the '80s and been instructing since the '90s and I've never bought track insurance. DE events are inherently designed to be safe. They are actually safer than the drive to the track!

If you have common sense (and check your ego in the pits), you'll be fine. But at the end of the day, it's on you.
PieGuy and Twinscroll like this.

Dino

Ferrari F40, Challenge Stradale, TR, 348, Mondial, 308
March/Cosworth 88C
McLaren 570 S 'Track Pack'
post #6 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 04:31 AM
Owner

Shit very much can happen. CJ and I use opentrack. 10% deductible (value of the car, not of the repair - if the value is more than the repair cost). So binning a 450k car is a 45k deductible. But IMO totally worth it. Ask bayareanady how much faster I was when I got the track insurance.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 AM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
Ask bayareanady how much faster I was when I got the track insurance.

The "confidence mod"...very real.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
I've been tracking since the '80s and been instructing since the '90s and I've never bought track insurance. DE events are inherently designed to be safe. They are actually safer than the drive to the track!

If you have common sense (and check your ego in the pits), you'll be fine. But at the end of the day, it's on you.

A lot relies on this...

I do think, depending on what you are doing track for (fun, self challenge, training?) also should drive your choices.

If you are out there to just push your car a little, and have fun its one thing, if you go to track with a set goal of increasing your ability, it makes sense to either buy a car built for the job or insure yours so that when you reach your talent threshold it hurts your wallet a little less.

It also depends on your track...big F1 event tracks have a crap ton of run-off...compared to small club tracks where they use tires and concrete walls to keep you away from those trees and rocks.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 PM
Owner

Lateapex

In my younger days, I would track a Viper. I was told that if considered a driving school situation, learning how to drive high performance cars, and there was not a transponder on the car, that my normal insurance would cover the car. With that said, I would call my agent, ask if it is an educational track day, if the company would cover you. I have never purchased insurance but I am not going to say I have made the best decision. It really depends on YOUR comfort level but I would ask my insurance agent so you know your risks.

Mike
post #10 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 650S View Post
Lateapex

In my younger days, I would track a Viper. I was told that if considered a driving school situation, learning how to drive high performance cars, and there was not a transponder on the car, that my normal insurance would cover the car. With that said, I would call my agent, ask if it is an educational track day, if the company would cover you. I have never purchased insurance but I am not going to say I have made the best decision. It really depends on YOUR comfort level but I would ask my insurance agent so you know your risks.

Mike

15 years ago, State Farm would cover HPDE events. Things have changed. I dont know of a single insurance company that will cover HPDE events anymore. Most policies have specific exclusions to exclude ANYTHING that may happen at a race track.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Owner

Good to now smokinv10.

Mike
post #12 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 02:22 PM

i never insure a road car for track day usage. but as someone said, depends on your financial comfort, your comfort behind the wheel and how hard you intend to push it on the track
post #13 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Owner

No one ever wakes up and says "today is the day Im going to have an accident". Fact of the matter is that accidents still happen. Even though accidents are rare, Im guessing that most of us would buy auto insurance whether or not it was a legal requirement to hedge against the possibility that the unfortunate unlikelihood becomes the unfortunate reality. There is no legal requirement at the track. Its just your personal opinion of how likely an accident is going to happen. Someone here said that the drive to the track is more hazardous. I disagree. Accidents happen with relatively high frequency at these events. The salient question is how much you believe you can control/how much is chance + what the risk/reward may be. Some here may have the financial means to write off a deep six figure loss as "the cost for fun". Thats not me.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinV10 View Post
15 years ago, State Farm would cover HPDE events. Things have changed. I dont know of a single insurance company that will cover HPDE events anymore. Most policies have specific exclusions to exclude ANYTHING that may happen at a race track.
Hagerty does but with a separate policy specific to HPDE events:

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Tr...e&aff=gusbrdre
post #15 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I am just going to push the car a little and have some fun past the legal speed limit. They moved me back to the D group because I haven't been to the track in 4 years (which I was totally fine with). I can afford to write off the car but I don't think many people could say that it wouldn't be painful. Having been on this track with my 993 I already know the places I am going to have to dial it back with a car with twice the hp. I think other cars and fluids are going to be my main concern. The track (pitt race)is pretty "run off friendly" Not like a Watkins Glenn.
I guess my question really was, are there people out there that don't buy track insurance.. it seems there are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in