Tracking without insurance? - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 Old 04-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex View Post
...I guess my question really was, are there people out there that don't buy track insurance.. it seems there are.
Lots! Have fun and be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

I’ve been doing track days for 20 years and have never gotten track insurance. I do think about it all the time, but typically decide against it. As you move up the run groups incidents become more rare, and I do believe that accidents are typically less likely on the track. If anyone is driving reckless they are removed, if anyone has a 4-wheel-off situation they are black flagged (and typically removed if they do it more than once), and there is usually lots of run off (yes, depends on track and corner, but a lot of tracks have some good run off areas). Track days are very much scrutinized for safety with eagle eyed marshals watching everyone all the time.

The group I see most incidents in is typically intermediate - more skill than a beginner, but also a bit more ego, but once you get to advanced everyone is usually very experienced and fully aware of their surroundings.

In all the events I go to, there are usually at least 100-120 cars in attendance, and maybe 1 “impact” incident, though many times none. Blown engines occur more often. So basically a 1% chance of an incident, but again, that incident is entirely dependent on group and experience.

Only once have I seen two people hit each other - and they were two friends who decided to try to race each other in Civic’s. They were removed.

Yes you can have an incident where a mechanical failure or something causes an issue, but it is rare, and can equally happen on the street (where it will probably be more dangerous with unpredictable road hazards).

Anyway, yes, insurance can give peace of mind, but also think about it - if accidents were common, would OpenTrack or Hagerty be in the business of providing insurance? They are, of course, hedging that the vast majority of people never have an incident over their entire track lifetime!

Thanks!

Z.
Craigy likes this.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-09-2019, 07:40 PM

Cheaper to keep it on the street.

post #19 of 22 Old 04-11-2019, 01:39 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
Shit very much can happen. CJ and I use opentrack. 10% deductible (value of the car, not of the repair - if the value is more than the repair cost). So binning a 450k car is a 45k deductible. But IMO totally worth it. Ask bayareanady how much faster I was when I got the track insurance.
Dont forget to factor in the depreciated value of a wrecked car, at least 10% but could be 20% quite easily depending on model and damage. So that 45k deductable becomes 90k or 135k after its all said and done. Not an issue if you keep the car forever, but if its a car you want to sell someday, buyers will either avoid or expect a discount for a storied car.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-27-2019, 02:49 PM

I have been tracking cars for 30 years. I have on occasion bought track insurance, but as a rule no track insurance. Just did a day at Road Atlanta with Chin and I drove pushed the car a fair bit, but having raced in several series I appreciate that these cars are wicked fast (150+) on the back straight at 130 on the front straight. Then it dawned on my that I am hitting speeds that are legit race car fast and I have a 3 point belt, so I dialed it back on the straights and focused on the corners. If you have sufficient experience behind the wheel you should be able to do fine.
In my previous car (E90 M3 that was very track prepped) I suffered a brake rotor explosion going into the bus stop at WGI. I slid sideways for 500 feet and came to a stop in the middle of the "duck pond" (the grass island in the bus stop). So it is possible to save a car from a failure.
All that being said if the insurance policy makes you sleep better, buy it, but I think that they cap the value at $150,000 so if the car is totaled you will have some exposure.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer37 View Post
I have been tracking cars for 30 years. I have on occasion bought track insurance, but as a rule no track insurance. Just did a day at Road Atlanta with Chin and I drove pushed the car a fair bit, but having raced in several series I appreciate that these cars are wicked fast (150+) on the back straight at 130 on the front straight. Then it dawned on my that I am hitting speeds that are legit race car fast and I have a 3 point belt, so I dialed it back on the straights and focused on the corners. If you have sufficient experience behind the wheel you should be able to do fine.
In my previous car (E90 M3 that was very track prepped) I suffered a brake rotor explosion going into the bus stop at WGI. I slid sideways for 500 feet and came to a stop in the middle of the "duck pond" (the grass island in the bus stop). So it is possible to save a car from a failure.
All that being said if the insurance policy makes you sleep better, buy it, but I think that they cap the value at $150,000 so if the car is totaled you will have some exposure.
Single event coverage has a cap. Annual policy has no Cap. I didn't have track insurance either for a few years. Mechanical/liquid spills on track can't be avoided., no matter how careful/slow a person drives. This incident happened at Sonoma and then I was involved in one a couple of weeks later (I won't show the pictures of the aftermarth (two cars totaled and a person dead).

Watch the entire 1 minute video

post #22 of 22 Old 05-27-2019, 08:17 PM

I did a race at WGI several years ago and there was a cloud burst on the back of the track on the last lap. I spun from 3rd going into the toe of the boot and watched 10 cars hit each other in front of me. Not fun or funny. Horrible track design to have a concrete wall right at the edge. Little more room and the following car would have been ok.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in