The Urus has landed - McLaren Life
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 02-12-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

The Urus has landed

I have few other pics in the wild that I will add. For those of you that havent driven or seen one I recommend you run by your dealer and check it out in person.

Initial thoughts after 3 days of ownership:

- Performance - Speed and handling are outstanding for any car let alone an SUV. In Corsa mode the suspension is tight but compliant. I have some dips in a road near me that are like speed bumps for the 720 and M5 but this thing takes them with ease. Speed-wise it feels as fast as my F90 M5 which is pretty darn fast. I bet track times between the two would be comparable.

- Sound - Better than you would expect. A very nice growl in street mode and when you switch to Sport it really livens up - pops and cracks on downshifts. Corsa is more of the same but even more aggressive.

- Transmission - In street mode it wants to go to the next gear quickly to conserve fuel. In sport it will hold the gear based on how hard you are on the accelerator. Sometimes I find myself early shifting in Sport as there is no need to wind it out but I like the sound. In Corsa mode it wants to redline every shift or you have to manually shift it. I figure I am in break in so taking it easy for now.

- Looks are subjective but I really like the shape and unlike many others I prefer an SUV over most sedans. Mine has the 23" wheel's which fills out the wells but I may add spacers to push the rears out a bit more. To my surprise I have had a ton of people positively comment. I feel like I am driving the 720. I thought this thing would blend in silver but apparently not. I had a lady come to my door and ask if she could check it out. Today a truck driver pulled up and congratulated me. I pulled into BAH parking lot and the security guard came out in the rain to take a look. So apparently others really dig it.

- Electronics - These things have a ton of features, I am working my way through them. Most if it is intuitive. Mine has the ADAS package which gives you all the safety features as well. There is a Lambo app where you can load icons on the display for directions, music, other media, etc. The app on the Android isn't great so far. It works but I think I could be a lot better.

- Fit and Finish - everything is super tight and well done. I do have a taillight with some slight moisture that they are going to look at this week otherwise Lambo did a very nice job differentiating from Audi and Porsche.

Value - A tricky one. IMO, I think these are a bit overpriced. I don't see why they don't come in under $200K with all the right options. I haven't seen the new Porsche Cayenne TTS so I don't have much to compare it to but figure the new X5M will be quite a beast as well for over $100K less. Of course you have the exclusivity of the Urus and the overall performance which is hard to beat but realistically will hardly be used. If I sold it I am not sure what else I would consider other than a Lusso which will fall in a similar price range for a slightly used v12 version. The Urus does offer a lot more leg room front and back as well as enough space in the rear to carry several sets of clubs. A friend of mine is about 6' 4" 270lbs and fit in the back seat without his knees touching the back of the seat. This is a big plus for the Urus.

After a few weeks I should have more seat time and feedback. I am happy to answer any questions.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-13-2019, 02:00 AM
Owner

Wow great color combo congrats silver really shows the lines on it.
Capsfan likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-13-2019, 04:02 AM
Owner

Been looking seriously at the new G wagen...but this is nice too.....still, I think I'd go less exclusive and lust after the new G

post #4 of 25 Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
Been looking seriously at the new G wagen...but this is nice too.....still, I think I'd go less exclusive and lust after the new G
I like the G63 but they are very different. The Urus has way more performance and will be more exclusive. It also has a lot more rear leg room. It depends on what you want, they are both very cool. Mercedes did a great job with the new G.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-13-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
Wow great color combo congrats silver really shows the lines on it.
Thank you. Surprisingly it was the only silver one ordered at this dealer. Most have ordered the grey, blue or white.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-15-2019, 01:45 AM
720s
Owner

Garage
Congrats and enjoy her. What a great all in one car for fun and purpose. I looked at new G63 Monday and it's nice, but looks on the outside (besides lights) like old one--no one can really tell. Then again it's about $90K less ($150 vs say $240). For me a Urus all day everyday over dime a dozen (at least where I live) G wagon.

They will overbuild these things and they have already said that (as it's doubling Lambo output), so buy right and enjoy the hell out of it. I think it's a great looking SUV with some balls to it. RR are soccer mom SUV's, this is one I'd drive in a second.

Look forward to more feedback as time goes on.

I have one built and may have dealer enter it...I postponed after 720 buy, but may add now to replace Raptor.
Attached Images

Capsfan likes this.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-15-2019, 05:22 AM
Owner

I wish you didn't post this. Now I can't stop looking it up and reading about it everywhere I can.
Capsfan likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 AM
720s
Owner

Garage
Maybe not for slopes, but let's be honest outside of Jeremy no one is going to take this up a mountain.

post #9 of 25 Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 PM
InnerCircle

Garage
Love the car, congratulations!

A small consideration: I have a small boat so my SUV has to have a hitch. I am taking delivery of a Cayenne S in a week or so. Saying goodbye to my last and never again AMGs. Somewhat surprisingly the Cayenne S has 434 hp and 408 lb-ft torque with a towing capacity of 7700 lbs! To mix it up a bit, I also opted for a Blk/Red Bordeaux interior and 22" wheels. All this for $103k. So on the value front, I think quite reasonable with the savings going towards a new Speedster.

Phil

post #10 of 25 Old 02-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720sforme View Post

A small consideration: I have a small boat so my SUV has to have a hitch.
The European URUS has the electrically folding hitch (to get it out of the sight) option but apparently that is not (yet?) available for US cars.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-15-2019, 08:40 PM
720s
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
The European URUS has the electrically folding hitch (to get it out of the sight) option but apparently that is not (yet?) available for US cars.
Yes you have to get the added off road drive modes in order to get hitch option.

It's funny I ran into my RR GM at lunch, talked 720, he said time to grab another British car--RRSC. Said thinking about Urus, he said bring that Raptor in tomorrow and pick out RR. Gave me percentage off and emailed me Raptor trade number. Save $100k+ over Urus and get it next week vs waiting. Since it's just a beater car, RR might make more sense.

Will report back tomorrow...
Ducati1199 likes this.
post #12 of 25 Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTX View Post
Congrats and enjoy her. What a great all in one car for fun and purpose. I looked at new G63 Monday and it's nice, but looks on the outside (besides lights) like old one--no one can really tell. Then again it's about $90K less ($150 vs say $240). For me a Urus all day everyday over dime a dozen (at least where I live) G wagon.

They will overbuild these things and they have already said that (as it's doubling Lambo output), so buy right and enjoy the hell out of it. I think it's a great looking SUV with some balls to it. RR are soccer mom SUV's, this is one I'd drive in a second.

Look forward to more feedback as time goes on.

I have one built and may have dealer enter it...I postponed after 720 buy, but may add now to replace Raptor.
I agree on the looks of the G wagons, it is akin to the 911s. They change them but only an enthusiast can tell the difference. I bought my soon to be 16 year old a 2005 G500, put some new wheels on it and cleaned it up. Looks like a $100K car for $40K.

Regarding the Urus, the most surprising thing is how many people freak out about it. This thing gets a lot of attention. I thought the silver would play it down a bit but in fact I think it shows the lines even more.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTX View Post
Yes you have to get the added off road drive modes in order to get hitch option.

It's funny I ran into my RR GM at lunch, talked 720, he said time to grab another British car--RRSC. Said thinking about Urus, he said bring that Raptor in tomorrow and pick out RR. Gave me percentage off and emailed me Raptor trade number. Save $100k+ over Urus and get it next week vs waiting. Since it's just a beater car, RR might make more sense.

Will report back tomorrow...
I have an 18' RR - keep your Raptor. Don't even think about it. I hate that freaking thing but my wife likes it.
post #14 of 25 Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720sforme View Post

A small consideration: I have a small boat so my SUV has to have a hitch. I am taking delivery of a Cayenne S in a week or so. Saying goodbye to my last and never again AMGs. Somewhat surprisingly the Cayenne S has 434 hp and 408 lb-ft torque with a towing capacity of 7700 lbs! To mix it up a bit, I also opted for a Blk/Red Bordeaux interior and 22" wheels. All this for $103k. So on the value front, I think quite reasonable with the savings going towards a new Speedster.
Thats not bad at all. I would have considered the TT version but I wanted something more exotic for a DD. I would take the Cayenne over a RR any day though. In regards to towing capacity I recommend you are careful unless your boat is very light. Although the Cayenne can pull it with ease it is more ideal to have a much heavier tow vehicle. My first boat was a 23' CC and I used a Tundra to tow. if not for the power and weight of the truck I might have had some challenges with people cutting me off, pulling it out of the water etc.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM
720s
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan View Post
I have an 18' RR - keep your Raptor. Don't even think about it. I hate that freaking thing but my wife likes it.
Well, went to dealer this morning and confirmed--19 RR V8 incoming hopefully this weekend. Loaded exactly how I want it specced, blk/blk w/ 22". I do love my Raptor and will probably regret, but RR is nicer for going out at night when 720 isn't a good idea. I like high depreciation vehicles LOL.
Attached Images

Capsfan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in