Forum Search - McLaren Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fastfwd

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2016, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Forum Search

It's clearly pointless to search the forums for words like "I", "the", "in", etc. -- those words are too common to be useful in a search -- so I guess I can see why the forum software simply refuses to search for words with fewer than three characters.

But not all short words are common pronouns, articles, and prepositions. Especially on this particular forum, users are likely to want to search for words like F1, 12C, P1, 650, 570, GT3, Can Am, SLR, Spa, etc. -- and NONE of those searches are allowed.

So would it be possible to modify the search function to allow those words?

Daily drivers:
1994 NSX - Brooklands Green with 300K+ miles
2012 12C - Racing Green with fewer miles (but still 3rd-highest USA, 13th-highest worldwide)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2016, 05:37 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
My best advice.

In google search bar do this:

site:mclarenlife.com AnyThingYouWantSearchFor

I've totally given up on forum search and only use the above. IMO, The results are far superior
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
My best advice.

In google search bar do this:

site:mclarenlife.com AnyThingYouWantSearchFor
Thank you, that's excellent advice.

But still.
ZombiePhysicist likes this.

Daily drivers:
2012 12C - Racing Green with fewer miles (but still 3rd-highest USA, 13th-highest worldwide)

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Regular User
InnerCircle

We could talk to the tech team about dropping down the minimum characters needed to search down to 2-3 but the problem with that is members will be finding that they are getting far less accurate results. I'm not too sure about how the masses will feel if they can search 12C but have to go through 50 unrelated posts.

~Sheena
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenadmin View Post
We could talk to the tech team about dropping down the minimum characters needed to search down to 2-3 but the problem with that is members will be finding that they are getting far less accurate results. I'm not too sure about how the masses will feel if they can search 12C but have to go through 50 unrelated posts.
Thanks for the response, Sheena.

If you disabled the short-word filter, I think users would quickly figure out that they get terrible results if their searches include words that appear in virtually every post. But if you wanted to make sure, the instructions for the search box could explicitly warn users not to include words like "the".

Another possible solution would be to leave the 4-character limit as-as, but allow an exception for a SPECIFIC set of shorter words: f1, 12c, p1, 650, 570, slr, gt3, can am, etc. -- very short words that are very meaningful here on the McLaren forum.

Anoter possibility would be to provide a checkbox to turn off the short-word filter, so searches would normally work exactly as they do now, but a user who wanted to could disable the filter for any particular search.

I'm sure your tech team can come up with additional ideas.

Daily drivers:
post #6 of 6 Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Regular User
InnerCircle

One way we can do this in theory is by way of specific tags, though that would not be retroactive to other threads. We will investigate these options.

Kyle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in