Adobe Flash for videos - McLaren Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Adobe Flash for videos

Flash is on the way out.

Facebook's new chief security officer wants to set a date to kill Flash

I have noticed that this site uses Flash for videos. Seeing as I don't have Flash installed on any of my devices I can't see the videos.

Can it be changed to HTML5?

Even just a link to the video would be helpful.

All I get is this.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko View Post
Flash is on the way out.

Facebook's new chief security officer wants to set a date to kill Flash

I have noticed that this site uses Flash for videos. Seeing as I don't have Flash installed on any of my devices I can't see the videos.

Can it be changed to HTML5?

Even just a link to the video would be helpful.

All I get is this.
Here is a COOL work around for your Mac/PC....

http://clicktoflash.com

Install this.

Now here's whats cool about this. When it's installed, instead of giving you the dumb 'HUH PLUGIN" icon error, it will now load in the HTML5 version of the video used for mobile devices. What is great about this (other than avoiding flash) is that now if you right click, you can download the full high quality video any time you like.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

That is a cool work around but I don't like to install things if I don't need them.

This site needs to change with the times...

post #4 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 AM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
That is a cool work around but I don't like to install things if I don't need them.

This site needs to change with the times...
Can you see this one? If yes it isn't a site problem, it's a how everyone is embedding videos problem.

-Jamie.

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion. ― Jack Kerouac
post #5 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 02:39 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh4 View Post
Can you see this one? If yes it isn't a site problem, it's a how everyone is embedding videos problem.

-Jamie.
It's actually a problem that safari has in the way it requests the video. So what he really needs to so is ask that apple update safari to deal with html 5 better and not show the dumb 'flash' icon when html5 is clearly available as an alternative from youtube.

As far as I can tell, the site is making a vanilla embed call. Safari is borking it up. Mobile safari is capable of making the right call, so apple should do do better.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:

-Jamie.
No, I can't see it.

The problem is how the site decides to deliver video to the browser.

When I go to YouTube I do not have a problem...
post #7 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
It's actually a problem that safari has in the way it requests the video. So what he really needs to so is ask that apple update safari to deal with html 5 better and not show the dumb 'flash' icon when html5 is clearly available as an alternative from youtube.

As far as I can tell, the site is making a vanilla embed call. Safari is borking it up. Mobile safari is capable of making the right call, so apple should do do better.
Seeing as I don't have a problem when I go to YouTube to watch the videos I am going to lay the blame with the developer of the platform that this forum uses.

Apple is part of the group that sets the standards, they are not the problem.

I would guess that this site knows that mobile Safari does not support Flash and defaults to HTML5. The could conversely be wrongly assuming that Safari for OS X all have Flash but that would be silly as Apple has not shipped it installed for years.

Judging by the quality of the AutoGuide app I think I can guess where the issue is.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
No, I can't see it.

The problem is how the site decides to deliver video to the browser.

When I go to YouTube I do not have a problem...
The reason I was asking on if you could see that video was that I put what should have been a direct embedded link to the HTML5 video. I'm certainly no expert, but I was hoping the link would work as then maybe the behavior of the 'youtube' tag used to embed video could just be changed to add on the HTML5 path.

For example, normally a video embed is just the ID string for the video:

|youtube|_YZfAJDYeOk|/youtube|

What I tried in the post above was supposed to be a direct link to the HTML5 version:

|youtube|_YZfAJDYeOk&html5=1|/youtube|

Since it didn't work for you though, I guess it doesn't much matter!

-Jamie.

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion. ― Jack Kerouac
post #9 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
The reason I was asking on if you could see that video was that I put what should have been a direct embedded link to the HTML5 video. I'm certainly no expert, but I was hoping the link would work as then maybe the behavior of the 'youtube' tag used to embed video could just be changed to add on the HTML5 path.

For example, normally a video embed is just the ID string for the video:

|youtube|_YZfAJDYeOk|/youtube|

What I tried in the post above was supposed to be a direct link to the HTML5 version:

|youtube|_YZfAJDYeOk&html5=1|/youtube|

Since it didn't work for you though, I guess it doesn't much matter!

-Jamie.
When I click on your video it gives me the Flash Player required message.

The problem is with this forum software.

Thanks for trying
post #10 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Seeing as I don't have a problem when I go to YouTube to watch the videos I am going to lay the blame with the developer of the platform that this forum uses.

Apple is part of the group that sets the standards, they are not the problem.

I would guess that this site knows that mobile Safari does not support Flash and defaults to HTML5. The could conversely be wrongly assuming that Safari for OS X all have Flash but that would be silly as Apple has not shipped it installed for years.

Judging by the quality of the AutoGuide app I think I can guess where the issue is.
I get the error on lots of sites. Apple knows this,. They know about lots of bugs they dont fix. Perhaps youre also right about the defaults, but this site is not alone with the problem.

However, this is what I think the bug is. Apple has a block/sleep javascript/flash feature built into safari (if memory serves it came around 10.9 or 10.10), basically to keep from killing battery. So, because of this feature, I think it doesnt properly report "I HAVE NO FLASH PLUG IN" to the site as it has a feature that will pause flash play anyway.

When you install the CLICK TO FLASH plug in (that apple features on its front page btw https://extensions.apple.com), safari now reports NO FLASH HERE, and the site now provides HTML5 instead.

That Youtube has decided to work around and fix apple's bug is kudos to them. In the mean time, with safari, you'll have this problem on many sites.

Last edited by ZombiePhysicist; 12-30-2015 at 11:31 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
I get the error on lots of sites. Apple knows this,. They know about lots of bugs they dont fix. Perhaps youre also right about the defaults, but this site is not alone with the problem.
We could all be right.

The bottom line is that Flash is dead so I should not be getting that error and the video should be displayed. The developers of this forum software need to get with the times...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in