McLaren Life banner

Must have options

23K views 79 replies 27 participants last post by  Bob L 
#1 ·
I'm looking at listing up some options for a 570/540 if i decide to pull the trigger shortly.. what sorts of options are worth it

Cheers

#2 ·
the basic auto stripped down is best, options cost a lot and all are personal preference. I have a MP4-12c, is full of options and I admit I like all of them but when I look at the extra cost I begin to wonder if they are worth it. the ones I see everyday are carbon fiber inside the auto, after 20 months I still like touching and looking at it. Radio for the MP4-12c is not worth any price as yet except for promises from McLaren saying they will fix it, hope the one in 570 works better.
if you are going to wrap your auto you can maybe eliminate exterior carbon fiber by adding design or colors. whatever you decide you cannot make a mistake, you will love your auto for many years. Enjoy it daily if possible, I have 20,700 miles on mine already.

#4 ·
I was curious about those soft close doors. I tried the doors in the showroom they seems ok standard.

So far I've listed the following but boy those options are pricey
-Side Intakes $5,540.00
-Door Inserts $7,780.00
-Brakes colour $2,340.00
-Carbon Fibre Interior Components $6,540.00
-Security Pack $10,520.00
Includes Vehicle Lift, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Rear View Camera, Car Cover and Volumetric Alarm Upgrade.
-Soft close Door
-Paint $3,620.00
-Sports Exhaust $8,500.00
-Constrast Stitching
-Super-Lightweight Forged Wheel – Silver Finish $9,943.78
-Stealth Wheel Finish $2,920.00

#5 ·
I would agree on the lift as something you should certainly spec. From the reviews on the soft close doors, I think that would be a good one to get as well. I'm getting both of those things on my 570. Other than that, spec it out as your taste dictates, or how your budget demands.

If you're going to put together a spec, have it be exactly what you want, don't spec it for the next guy.

-Jamie.

Reactions: Dash
#6 ·
Holy moly, those options prices are eye-watering now. The loud exhaust is up to $8,500 now! I think it was $6K on my 2012. Now that that is out of the way, I'd pass on the carbon door inserts. I have them, but wouldn't pay for them, you only see them when opening/closing the doors. Security pack sounds like a rip off. Doesn't it have proximity sensors in the front standard? Those are all you really need. The rear camera is bad, and unnecessary.

If you're going to drive it a lot then I would get the soft close doors. I wish I had those.

#9 ·
These are the options I spec'ed out for my 570S. I was inspired by the Volcano Orange P1 color scheme.

Volcano Orange with Stealth Exhaust and Stealth Badging.
Carbon Fiber Exterior Package 1 (side intakes, door insert, and mirrors)
Stealth 5-Spoke Wheel with Polished Brake Calipers.
Nappa Alcantara Interior Trim with Orange Contrast Stitching.
Carbon Fiber Interior Components
Smoked Chrome Bright work.
Lux Package
Sport Exhaust
Vehicle Lift

I'll be happy to share with you my opinions on the options you're on the fence about.

#10 ·
I tried using the configurator but can't really tell the difference between the various interior seat designs.. any inputs?

I'm thinking of ditching these 2 options.. i'm not sure if its the wises move
Carbon Door Inserts $7,780.00
Carbon Fibre Interior Components $6,540.00

#11 · (Edited)
I was told Nappa Sport is more er.... sporty! More noticeable stitching, brighter colours, bolder leather designs, whereas Nappa Design is more subtle, more restrained. Design by McLaren offers perforated leather on some designs, throws in some options unavailable in the others, things like the way alacantera's used etc.

As for carbon, the jury's still out for me, I've seen a few cars in build, some with carbon, some with standard interiors, both look fine to me.

#14 ·
I'm getting the B&W system. Initially I was a bit put off by the center nautilus speaker on the dash but I think it looks fine now. The car I drove had it and it wasn't any distraction. When done with the drive we tried it out a bit but it was just radio and compressed audio so not anything to test quality... It certainly had plenty of kick though.

-Jamie.

#17 ·
I went with a lot of exterior carbon fiber because in person and up close, it adds a lot of depth. (From farther away, it doesn't look that different from the Dark Palladium.) Also, I figured that having a white body color might draw more attention to the CF.

But it is indeed pricey to go all in replacing the Dark Palladium. In order to replace the DP in the front splitter / rear bumper / rear spoiler, you have to get the MSO Defined CF package which runs $USD ~16k.

On the interior, the only CF I'm getting is the interior components. One of the reasons I chose it was for the taller paddle shifters.

Also, I am getting the speaker upgrades because I was really disappointed with the audio quality in my 12C. And if you have ever had any experience with B&W, you would know that the tweeter on the dash is one of their signature designs. I haven't tried the car out yet, but B&W makes amazing speakers.

#18 ·
I think the 570S is worth the extra over the 540C
Exterior carbon is not normally necessary but if the car is white it probably does make a big difference. Internal carbon? Nice- not necessary. Lift! Probably wel, worth it.
B&W sound upgrade? Definatly (only because B&W was my local Haiti shop when I was a kid before the rest of the world heard of them).
I think the 570S can get away with very few options - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't tick all the boxes if I could afford to.
Basic 570S then lift, then soft close doors then whatever you personally like and can afford is the way I'd go.
Whatever you get will be a great car.
Have fun.

#20 · (Edited)
Hard to say, I've specced up a 540 really well for just below the basic cost of the 570.

I'm not too bothered about the £7k brakes or the sound upgrade, the extra ponies would be nice but I'd like to think 530 will be enough for UK roads. The palladium finish looks fine to me and you're going to end up with that somewhere unless you dig deep for the full carbon job in which case you're into low miles, pre owned 650 Spider territory. The standard close doors seem to close without much effort, I'd go for the lift though, a decent splash of paint, nice interior upgrade, job's a good 'un.

The big question for me is how will the 540 be perceived? Will it be the poor relation, or will it be the daily driver bargain? The reviews should be interesting... ;)

#19 ·
Thanks for the input guys.. I've got like a 12 speaker system on my R8 but I found I more often have the window down listening to the exhaust and engine note.. plus for me the sound system seems quite ex here's hoping that the standard 4 speakers setup would suffice.

I'd love to have more carbon bits but what tipped the pricing up in my case was the wheels... i wanted a specific set and colour (as you do) lol

I see quite a few posts recommending the lux package with the electronic & heated seats.. are the standard ones that bad? I'm the only one driving my cars so wasn't sure if the manual seat adjustment was necessary. I had the 8 way with lumbar support on my R8 and I find i never ever touch them =/

#21 ·
I didn't realise you already had an R8

Get no options. Any options you do get will just make you realise what you've been missing. The basic 570S will make you sick enough.

Reactions: J1n
#29 ·
I ended up going the "lux track" route - stealth, CF and alcantara

People may say you can't tell the difference/contrast but have gone MSO carbon fibre literally everywhere except the roof combined with Onyx black. I guess I am doing a poor mans P1.

Interior is also CF, but full Alcantara with McLaren orange contrast stitching MSO are making my powered seats all Alcantara (ie not the leather inserts). I didnt want the CF bucket seats for comfort and egress reasons.

All told it came to 259k and change which I can live with. The car is EXACTLY how I want it.

#30 ·
Different people want different things. Glad you got what you want. Sure it will be awesome - when do you get it and how many minutes after can we expect the pics?

#33 ·
That's for all the input guys.. I've settled my order on the 570s with the following.. I dropped soft close doors as I tested the 650s and the 570s demo that didn't have soft close doors as an option and i think they work fine.

Brakes colour - Red
Carbon Fibre Exterior Pack 1
Security Pack
Paint - Silica White
Mats
Sports Exhaust
Badge Set Stealth
Nappa Sport (Apex Red)
Stealth Wheel Finish

Rationale was to have matching break colors with interior. Car will look like http://youtu.be/fiNJtPMjK9M

#37 ·
Top of my 'must haves' has always been the Security Pack, which gives you the lift, parking sensors, rear view cam, alarm upgrade and a handy car cover, which I probably wouldn't bother with but it's in with the bundle price.

I agree on the memory seats but.... you can't get heated seats without the expensive bits and I want to keep warm in the winter! A win price wise on the Security Pack, lose on the seats I guess!

I'm also adding...

Tracking
Trim Nappa Sport
Leather Sill Finisher
Carbon Components ( depending on final colour choice )
Stealth Badges

I'm still wavering over paint, depends on the final price from MSO. >:)

#38 · (Edited)
Must haves and want are not the same.
Heated seats are almost a must have in the UK but m not so sure in SoCal (I was going to say I looked up socal on Google maps and couldn't find it - but I could!)
When do you have to get your specs finalised Dash?

Reactions: Dash
#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.