McLaren Life banner

Porsche 991.2 GT3

16K views 91 replies 16 participants last post by  isv 
#1 ·
#4 ·
It’s a good day to be a petrolhead with Maclife blowing up with official 720S info and Rennlist blowing up with the official announcement of 991.2 GT3 staying NA, 500 HP and a manual option. But note how “slow” the manual is to 60 vs the PDK (3.8 vs 3.2 secs).
I still believe I did right in chopping the 991.1 last year anticipating this day. I could have looked really silly if they had gone turbo though – that would have made a nice nest egg for retirement!! :D

#13 ·
The fact sheet that came out with the announcement contained every detail except red line rpm. I'm not going to hold my breathe on 9000. And I wonder if the manual is that much slower to 60 whether they've put a lower red line on the man vs PDK?

And Porsche are a "for profit" company I can't believe they wouldn't make a .2 RS along with the GT2. These cars are a license to print money. Cali dealers will be rubbing their hands trying to figure out what mark-up to put on them!!

#16 ·
I'll stick with my 991.1 GT3 RS over the 991.2 GT3.

Once the 991.2 GT2 RS (or if they make a GT3 RS) drops, I'll grab that / those too.

The 991.2 GT3 is too "normal" for my taste. All GT3's have been, unfortunately... But that's what the GT3 strives for, and they do indeed nail it. :)

#44 ·
isv I guess I am simply applauding that we can get a brand new car with warranty with an NA engine revving to 9K and a manual box. Honestly thought those days had passed. Do see your point tho (in fact that analog-ness of the LFA paddle box is a fave feature of mine as it suits the car). Not sure if I will buy the 2 gt3, but if P continues to make cars in this vein, I will inevitably end up with one variant or another.

#79 ·
I seem to be spamming you today R. :p

Manual review link if you're interested

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche/911/2018/2018-porsche-911-gt3-first-drive-review/

In particular I found this bit

"There is actually a physical difference between the two cars, other than the gearboxes. Because the PDK car already has a bunch of hydraulic plumbing built in, Preuninger’s team opted to go with an electro-hydraulic locking rear differential. The manual version has no hydraulic veins, so its rearend sports a mechanical locker. Call me a Luddite, but holy damn did I prefer everything about the manual on track. Perhaps it’s because the mechanical diff locks up more slowly than the electric one, but it actually felt more rear-engined—more like a 911—than the PDK car, which feels more mid-engine and a bit more stable yet sterile. "

quite interesting. I've been saying for a while I personally find any car equipped with the fancy fully variable electro-hydraulic locking diffs (Ferrari/AMG/BMW M/991.1 gt3 +rs) all feel very different to the fixed ratio diff cars.

Couldn't say if that's mainly due to the diff or the fact the diff utilises a lot of other background electronics to deliver it's performance though but whatever it is, the cars with them do imo feel quite digitised at risk of using an overly cliched term.

that said, one has to seriously query the credibility of the writer when he can say this in the following paragraph...

"I wasn’t sure how they’d do it. How do you take something with no apparent flaws, no visible weaknesses, and improve upon it anyway? The 991 GT3’s engine was a miracle of engineering.."

Given the number of failures the .1 gt3 engine has had.... I'd really not be able to claim that with a straight face.

#71 ·
for you 6th assuming you haven't already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSAPVwHvIY

that's some chuffing quick cornering speeds. That N1 tyre on the .2 gt3 has got to be a lot quicker than the older N0 on the .1 gt3 to gain 12 seconds over the older car. I don't care what chassis/aero improvements they have made, you don't make 12 seconds without a big tyre step up....

Best thing of all that n1 tyre is a 305/30/20 so will fit any P11 or P14 car ;)

#75 ·
Also, anyone note the HALO seat being used? I know it's only sensible given the pace of the 'ring lap times these days but Porsche quite disinegenously also stated in their press release it's road approved. Poor timo kluck on the 7.2rs never had the chance to use that seat (and was wearing an open face helmet to boot!) nevermind the latest gen Cup2 tyre to set a time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.