Porsche 991.2 GT3 - McLaren Life
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,362
Porsche 991.2 GT3




Mycroft is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,362
eMcL likes this.
Mycroft is offline  
post #3 of 48 Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,133
Mk. 2, new engine with 500 (n.a.) PS, 6-Speed manual (or PDK). Bye bye 911 R ;-)
Mikeyb and Craigy like this.
Declan is online now  
 
post #4 of 48 Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 PM
 
Ducati1199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Fran - East Bay
Posts: 447
It’s a good day to be a petrolhead with Maclife blowing up with official 720S info and Rennlist blowing up with the official announcement of 991.2 GT3 staying NA, 500 HP and a manual option. But note how “slow” the manual is to 60 vs the PDK (3.8 vs 3.2 secs).
I still believe I did right in chopping the 991.1 last year anticipating this day. I could have looked really silly if they had gone turbo though – that would have made a nice nest egg for retirement!!
Topspeed and John Galt like this.
Ducati1199 is offline  
post #5 of 48 Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 PM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati1199 View Post
the official announcement of 991.2 GT3 staying NA, 500 HP and a manual option.
It's the engine they always wanted to make....

But more seriously it sounds like a bloody good engine at long last after finally having the engine ready for racing. piston speeds at 9k rpm will be bloody high for a 6 cylinder.
eMcL likes this.
isv is online now  
post #6 of 48 Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
It's the engine they always wanted to make....

But more seriously it sounds like a bloody good engine at long last after finally having the engine ready for racing. piston speeds at 9k rpm will be bloody high for a 6 cylinder.
Yes I was waiting for that final detail. 9K with a manual shift will be hard to resist. Especially if it revs even more freely, as claimed.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
6th element is offline  
post #7 of 48 Old 03-07-2017, 11:45 PM
 
Ducati1199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Fran - East Bay
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
It's the engine they always wanted to make....

But more seriously it sounds like a bloody good engine at long last after finally having the engine ready for racing. piston speeds at 9k rpm will be bloody high for a 6 cylinder.

I can’t believe they’ll keep this new engine at 9000 rpm. The RS red line dropped to 8800 rpm. I think they’ll keep it lower to protect the engine as this new one has same HP / liter as the 991.1 so the last thing they need is another stop sale!
Ducati1199 is offline  
post #8 of 48 Old 03-08-2017, 12:14 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati1199 View Post
I can’t believe they’ll keep this new engine at 9000 rpm. The RS red line dropped to 8800 rpm. I think they’ll keep it lower to protect the engine as this new one has same HP / liter as the 991.1 so the last thing they need is another stop sale!
They better keep it, 9000 is the magic number!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
PieGuy likes this.
6th element is offline  
post #9 of 48 Old 03-08-2017, 12:19 AM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati1199 View Post
I can’t believe they’ll keep this new engine at 9000 rpm. The RS red line dropped to 8800 rpm. I think they’ll keep it lower to protect the engine as this new one has same HP / liter as the 991.1 so the last thing they need is another stop sale!
The R had a redline at 8500 or 8600 (can't remember but lower than the RS) so I'm slightly amazed this one goes to 9k. That said, the RS had rev limiter at 8800 but actually outside of 1st gear the limiter actually was 8700 in 2nd and 8600 in 3rd I believe real life experience has found. Perhaps the same variable limit will apply for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
Yes I was waiting for that final detail. 9K with a manual shift will be hard to resist. Especially if it revs even more freely, as claimed.
This one is finally the 991 gt car to get i think. The racing program has undoubtedly imo ironed out the (multiple) issues with the 9A1 high revving engine. However, despite the manual box I still am expecting it to be a very different car from the older 6/7 gt3s... The gearbox itself doesn't make the car (despite what all the mags shortly due to be fawning over the car will say) for me.... I'm sure it'll be a extremly capable car though and for the cost, bloody hard to beat. Probably something like a gt4 on steroids pretty much with an engine worthy of a gt car (unlike the cayman)....
isv is online now  
post #10 of 48 Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
The R had a redline at 8500 or 8600 (can't remember but lower than the RS) so I'm slightly amazed this one goes to 9k. That said, the RS had rev limiter at 8800 but actually outside of 1st gear the limiter actually was 8700 in 2nd and 8600 in 3rd I believe real life experience has found. Perhaps the same variable limit will apply for this one.



This one is finally the 991 gt car to get i think. The racing program has undoubtedly imo ironed out the (multiple) issues with the 9A1 high revving engine. However, despite the manual box I still am expecting it to be a very different car from the older 6/7 gt3s... The gearbox itself doesn't make the car (despite what all the mags shortly due to be fawning over the car will say) for me.... I'm sure it'll be a extremly capable car though and for the cost, bloody hard to beat. Probably something like a gt4 on steroids pretty much with an engine worthy of a gt car (unlike the cayman)....
But there will be a 991.2 RS too tho, right? Also with manual option?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
6th element is offline  
post #11 of 48 Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati1199 View Post
I can’t believe they’ll keep this new engine at 9000 rpm. The RS red line dropped to 8800 rpm. I think they’ll keep it lower to protect the engine as this new one has same HP / liter as the 991.1 so the last thing they need is another stop sale!
In one of the videos Preuninger said they have a new through the crankshaft oiling system and have replaced the hydraulic lifters with solids. These changes allow higher revs with reliability.
Hopefully true!



http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-g...-new-gt3/35880

Last edited by eMcL; 03-08-2017 at 07:18 AM.
eMcL is online now  
post #12 of 48 Old 03-08-2017, 12:53 AM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
But there will be a 991.2 RS too tho, right? Also with manual option?
hmm...............

I don't know. The best info i have (this is from last year August at the 'ring from someone who was spot on about the .2 gt3 ie 4.0 NA with manual gearbox option) is that there will likely not be a .2 gt3rs. Just the gt2 rs coming out over summer, pdk only, I've heard from 2 different people who should really know one says it's limited like the R, the other says not....

I've also heard recently there's supposedly some de-winged sport classic thing (manual) and/or a mid engine street legal RSR homolgation car in the works but these 2 I'm much less sure about whether either or both will be made. Test mules running about are always the precursor to actual models and I haven't seen either.

Oh and there's supposed to be a gt4 rs under consideration that despite all my reservations about the gt4, if this one has a slightly detuned .2 gt3 engine I'd probably be quite tempted again....
isv is online now  
post #13 of 48 Old 03-08-2017, 01:30 AM
 
Ducati1199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Fran - East Bay
Posts: 447
The fact sheet that came out with the announcement contained every detail except red line rpm. I'm not going to hold my breathe on 9000. And I wonder if the manual is that much slower to 60 whether they've put a lower red line on the man vs PDK?

And Porsche are a "for profit" company I can't believe they wouldn't make a .2 RS along with the GT2. These cars are a license to print money. Cali dealers will be rubbing their hands trying to figure out what mark-up to put on them!!
Ducati1199 is offline  
post #14 of 48 Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
hmm...............

I don't know. The best info i have (this is from last year August at the 'ring from someone who was spot on about the .2 gt3 ie 4.0 NA with manual gearbox option) is that there will likely not be a .2 gt3rs. Just the gt2 rs coming out over summer, pdk only, I've heard from 2 different people who should really know one says it's limited like the R, the other says not....

I've also heard recently there's supposedly some de-winged sport classic thing (manual) and/or a mid engine street legal RSR homolgation car in the works but these 2 I'm much less sure about whether either or both will be made. Test mules running about are always the precursor to actual models and I haven't seen either.

Oh and there's supposed to be a gt4 rs under consideration that despite all my reservations about the gt4, if this one has a slightly detuned .2 gt3 engine I'd probably be quite tempted again....
Danke.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
6th element is offline  
post #15 of 48 Old 03-08-2017, 02:00 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati1199 View Post
The fact sheet that came out with the announcement contained every detail except red line rpm. I'm not going to hold my breathe on 9000. And I wonder if the manual is that much slower to 60 whether they've put a lower red line on the man vs PDK?

And Porsche are a "for profit" company I can't believe they wouldn't make a .2 RS along with the GT2. These cars are a license to print money. Cali dealers will be rubbing their hands trying to figure out what mark-up to put on them!!
Right because isn't the R redline lower than RS due to manual? So I am also surprised to see 9000 redline. But Preuninger makes a point of it in the vid so...

If it is 1st gear only, then that does take the shine off, admittedly.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
6th element is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome