991 gt2rs - McLaren Life
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,983
991 gt2rs

I am not a Porsche expert but I know there are a few of them among us. Anyone know about this car and when it's due to arrive? I read somewhere that they were skipping the GT2 and going straight to the RS.
John Galt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I am not a Porsche expert but I know there are a few of them among us. Anyone know about this car and when it's due to arrive? I read somewhere that they were skipping the GT2 and going straight to the RS.
Knock yourself out!! And the GT2RS will not be available in Mexico Blue. Moderators please delete this post


http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-g...-gt2rs-42.html

Last edited by eMcL; 12-29-2016 at 10:01 PM.
eMcL is offline  
post #3 of 39 Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Knock yourself out!! And the GT2RS will not be available in Mexico Blue. Moderators please delete this post


http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-g...-gt2rs-42.html
Haha, I stayed away from Rennlist on purpose.
eMcL likes this.
John Galt is online now  
 
post #4 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 12:06 AM
 
Ducati1199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Fran - East Bay
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Knock yourself out!! And the GT2RS will not be available in Mexico Blue. Moderators please delete this post


http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-g...-gt2rs-42.html
And that's just one of about 100 different threads on variations of will the 991.2 GT3 be manual, auto, NA, turbo, blah, blah, blah. Will there be a GT2? will they go straight to the 2RS, etc, etc. Have to admit I stopped reading them - just so much speculations and then there's always the person who knows the cleaning lady at the factory and she saw this, that and the other on the white board!!!!

That being said there's a few threads on the P14 so maybe the MacLifer's are not so different?
eMcL likes this.
Ducati1199 is offline  
post #5 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 AM
Track Rat Advocate
InnerCircle
Owner
 
CJ aka that HyperColor P1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California+Arizona
Posts: 263
Garage
we can talk offline about it if you want mr galt
John Galt and eMcL like this.

me: /P1, CGT, 675LT-S, 997RS, 911R /
wife: /PTS 991RS, 350R SUV stuff/
+2 rescue dogs

Dealer Principal- McLaren Scottsdale/Porsche Fresno
Team Owner- CJ Wilson Racing
CJ aka that HyperColor P1 is offline  
post #6 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 06:26 AM
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 6,887
It is an RS. Sadly the geneva dealer is only getting one and it's therefore not likely to be mine. The numbers will be hugely limited in Switzerland due emissions.

Think it's due end 2017. But I can't remember exactly what was said. I do remember thinking it's longer than I thought.
Mikeyb is offline  
post #7 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 07:09 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 248
one thing's for sure... it's going to be an absolute monster, performance wise.

should be interesting vs the 720S, or whatever the P14 will be called.

of course what really matters will be the 960, when Porsche finally gets around to it
John Galt and eMcL like this.
hesperus is offline  
post #8 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 07:13 AM
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
one thing's for sure... it's going to be an absolute monster, performance wise.

should be interesting vs the 720S, or whatever the P14 will be called.

of course what really matters will be the 960, when Porsche finally gets around to it
Yes true. It will be quite the monster, but will still be behind the p14 I think in most respects except perhaps tyre width which of course could level the playing field a bit.

I wonder although I don't know whether the 960 has been permanently shelved, particularly with the RSR being mid engined and therefore the raison d'etre of the 960 has diminished.
Mikeyb is offline  
post #9 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
I wonder although I don't know whether the 960 has been permanently shelved, particularly with the RSR being mid engined and therefore the raison d'etre of the 960 has diminished.
I was under the impression the reason for being of the 960 wasn't to homologate for racing (i actually think the 911 needs to continue racing, given it's heritage,) but to fill out the product lineup.

There's no question Lambo, Ferrari and Mclaren are making hay in the above $250k (with options) segment. Porsche has nothing between the 918 and the 911.

Sure, special cars like the GT2RS may edge into, if not even eclipse Huracan/488/650S performance, and nibble at the price. BUT there's always going to be people who won't be able to get around paying $300k for "just" a 911, especially when the base car at 1/3rd the price is fundamentally the same car.

Having a bespoke model in that segment will be greenfield for Porsche IMO.

If they could do it with Cayenne... then philosophically at least, this is much easier. (there's also the matter of modular platforms being shared across VAG, so whatever Audi and Lambo are using for the R8/Huracan could easily be Porsche-fied for an all new contender from Stuttgart.
John Galt likes this.
hesperus is offline  
post #10 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I was under the impression the reason for being of the 960 wasn't to homologate for racing (i actually think the 911 needs to continue racing, given it's heritage,) but to fill out the product lineup.

There's no question Lambo, Ferrari and Mclaren are making hay in the above $250k (with options) segment. Porsche has nothing between the 918 and the 911.

Sure, special cars like the GT2RS may edge into, if not even eclipse Huracan/488/650S performance, and nibble at the price. BUT there's always going to be people who won't be able to get around paying $300k for "just" a 911, especially when the base car at 1/3rd the price is fundamentally the same car.

Having a bespoke model in that segment will be greenfield for Porsche IMO.

If they could do it with Cayenne... then philosophically at least, this is much easier. (there's also the matter of modular platforms being shared across VAG, so whatever Audi and Lambo are using for the R8/Huracan could easily be Porsche-fied for an all new contender from Stuttgart.
I believe it was at least part of the reason. But as you say it's quite possible indeed obvious that there's a product gap in the Porsche line up. So lets hope it's still a possibility as I for one would love one :-)
hesperus likes this.
Mikeyb is offline  
post #11 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 07:47 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
So lets hope it's still a possibility as I for one would love one :-)
Indeed. if the Turbo S and RS are as capable and great to drive as they are (i realize they're quite different) based on a "cheap" car, imagine how Porsche could shake up the category if they had a fresh canvas canvass to work with.
Craigy likes this.
hesperus is offline  
post #12 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 AM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,229
As far as I know, the 2rs is going to be announced mid next year and limited along the lines of the R. Personally I think it's going to be stupidly quick as it is Porsche's attempt to catch up with the (inane) laptime war and they have a clear target in the 675 to aim at so I don't expect it to be any slower.
isv is offline  
post #13 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Knock yourself out!! And the GT2RS will not be available in Mexico Blue. Moderators please delete this post


http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-g...-gt2rs-42.html
did someone say mexico blue?
andy c, Mikeyb and John Galt like this.
neoprufrok is offline  
post #14 of 39 Old 12-30-2016, 05:25 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
did someone say mexico blue?
Yeah your color is in there somewhere! Guess he couldn't find a turbo photo.
http://gearpatrol.com/2016/08/18/def...e-porsche-911/

Last edited by eMcL; 12-30-2016 at 05:28 PM.
eMcL is offline  
post #15 of 39 Old 12-31-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,983
Thanks gents, this is what I was looking for
John Galt is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome