McLaren Life banner

991 gt2rs

24K views 152 replies 37 participants last post by  MCL1150 
#1 ·
I am not a Porsche expert but I know there are a few of them among us. Anyone know about this car and when it's due to arrive? I read somewhere that they were skipping the GT2 and going straight to the RS.

#6 ·
It is an RS. Sadly the geneva dealer is only getting one and it's therefore not likely to be mine. The numbers will be hugely limited in Switzerland due emissions.

Think it's due end 2017. But I can't remember exactly what was said. I do remember thinking it's longer than I thought.

#56 ·
It is an RS. Sadly the geneva dealer is only getting one and it's therefore not likely to be mine. The numbers will be hugely limited in Switzerland due emissions.
Mikey, are you still hearing that beetle Geneva are only getting one car? I'm hearing it's an open build run and given the Eur/Chf pricing i would have thought anyone who wants one would be able to get one so just in case you were still keen on one :p

#8 ·
Yes true. It will be quite the monster, but will still be behind the p14 I think in most respects except perhaps tyre width which of course could level the playing field a bit.

I wonder although I don't know whether the 960 has been permanently shelved, particularly with the RSR being mid engined and therefore the raison d'etre of the 960 has diminished.

#12 ·
As far as I know, the 2rs is going to be announced mid next year and limited along the lines of the R. Personally I think it's going to be stupidly quick as it is Porsche's attempt to catch up with the (inane) laptime war and they have a clear target in the 675 to aim at so I don't expect it to be any slower.

#16 ·
Is the 991 GT2 RS coming? Yes. Will it have more hp than the last? Yes. Will be available in 2017? Yes, late. Will it have rear axle steering? Yes. Will it be limited in production numbers? Probably/Probably not. Will it have four wheel drive? High chance. Will it have active aero? Yes. Wil it have hybrid technology? No, but the 992. Will it be faster than the P14? Remains to be seen.

Having said that the next generation Porsche models will certainly have hybrid technology and a significant bump in system power available, combined with the high torque from 0 an electric engine provides. These will be interesting sports cars, but the technology is not limited to the 911, but will be used in the Cayenne/Panamera/Macan lines for greater efficiency (in the lower end configurations) and for more power than most people wish for (in the top of line configurations).

The rumored 960 (since 2010!) would probably nowadays have to be completely redesigned, as the original version, to be seen only behind closed doors with the new twin turbo V8, would now have to include many of the features and technologies available for the 991 and planned for the 992.

Having said that I personally believe that Porsche needs and has room for a sports car above the 911 with 800hp + system power and priced in the area of the 488GTB and having a true super car designation. With the confirmed all electric Mission E (we will see how they'll call that car) and the line extensions of the Panamera in the works, I wonder if funding for that "960" will still be made available. I am pretty certain that they won't go along and use the R8 platform for that, although it is decent enough for the Huracan, which itself is a big upgrade to the Gallardo.

Just my five cents.

Happy new year to all on this board!

#17 ·
I doubt that Porsche needs a super sports car above the 911. Today Porsche earns by far the most money per car. I guess a "960" would worsen this balance.

Made Porsche profit with the 918? No. The same could happen with the 960. Except: they will have to be able to sell high quantities, and that would have a negative impact on the 911 sales.

Anyway, maybe you are right. I'm curious what Porsche will do.

#19 ·
believe you're correct Craigy... when they take the drive off two of the wheels and add a big dose of turbo (lag) then most people tend to find that a little bit out of their enjoyment quotient..

however, if you can sell a few carrera with awful interiors (okay and a bigger engine) with the limited tag then why not give it a whirl with another car you're unlikely to sell many of unless its limited...

funny, I rented a jeep cherokee last summer... that was also Limited... I suspected that was more an assertion of its ability, but it was actually pretty good.. ;-)

#26 ·
Picture CUP front with big canards on the front, active aero bladder from the TTS, a little Gurney on the front bumper right in front of the front radiator outlet.
Same front fenders as the 991.1RS but reworked to fit 275/285.

Rear:
Big, semi active rear wing a hybrid wing between the current RS wing that moves like the TTS /918 wing, huge defuser between to cannon-like exhausts.
No manual.
Updated RWS.
Updated electric steering rack.
Updated PDKS gearing and programming. So no longer only granny mode and bat**** mode but sport, sport +, extreme and Race and Race Custom.
Same button with more settings as on the current C2S steering wheel.
Race custom allows you to adjust ABS, e-Diff, SC threshold and 3 settings for downforce.
SC can only be fully deactived with full downforce engaging over 60MPH.

Power
Bigger scoops for the air intakes a la GT4 plus fixed scoops worked into duck tail underneath the active rear wing. 700HP 640lb for 15 seconds on overboost.

Tires:
Next spec MPSC2, 285 / 345.

Colors:
CUP White and German flag colors as Mr Porsche intended are free.
All colors available in PTS from beginning to end of production run.

Brakes:
This time no std PCCB as already proven the 991 steel brake system is plenty strong and durable enough but a little more front brake cooling is added and a proper Movit based CCB system is optional. CF Carbon Revolution and Magnesium BBS wheels optional. Part of two track packages a la Weisach edition of the 918.

Clubsport package now available in the US but must be dealer installed with the CS package interior options reduced to current RS option list.
CS in a box + dealer install is an expensive option but it comes with a Barber track day to explain all the track setup of the systems.

Non-CS cars get sofas dont get the track packages option but all options available on the TTS are available. There will be a valet setting.

Base price $225K, CS package is 20k (Free ROW again c291dcd4e6fe3bfaf961d0b769ce4fcc. ) and can be optioned to well over $350K ...

No bull**** limited number plaque on the dash, same production numbers as the 991.1RS, the GT2RS is a direct replacement. No more NA RS.

Will remain in production along the TTS until 991 production seizes.
This will be the last steel tub, flat6, non hybrid RS.

Next 992RS will be similar with the 918 driveline mated to a flat8 in a CF tub"

#29 ·
It's taken from a post by 'Trakcar' at Rennlist. Most of it sounds correct (i'm very doubtful about tyre size admittedly) and I've met the rennlister at the 'ring as well and he didn't seem the type to be intentionally engaging in BS at all. The bit about open run sounds a little bit odd and is in contradiction to what I've been told by someone else but the numbers thing has been quite contradictory over the last few months afaik.

#30 ·
It's taken from a post by 'Trakcar' at Rennlist. Most of it sounds correct (i'm very doubtful about tyre size admittedly) and I've met the rennlister at the 'ring as well and he didn't seem the type to be intentionally engaging in BS at all. The bit about open run sounds a little bit odd and is in contradiction to what I've been told by someone else but the numbers thing has been quite contradictory over the last few months <acronym title="As far as I know">afaik</acronym>.
225 us seems a very competitive price. Accepting its base. .?

#34 ·
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...-in-705-internal-estimate-reveals-114768.html

One of the spiciest supercars that kept our spy shooters busy last year is the 2018 Porsche 911 GT2. We've seen the prototypes lapping the Nurburgring on tons of occasions and now we have a lap time to discuss.

Nowadays, you simply can't talk about a go-fast machine without adding its Green Hell stopwatch number and Porsche estimates the 991-generation GT2 is able to complete the task in 7:05. At least that's what Auto Express claims about the German automaker.

#39 ·
I've been a Porsche fanboi since I was a young child but this pic from above looks like a Roller Skate lol. The current GT3RS has that look too but this even more so. I hope it's just the camo. The Wheels, fenders, SWB, all just don't look right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.