991 gt2rs - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 Old 12-31-2016, 07:25 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,163
Is the 991 GT2 RS coming? Yes. Will it have more hp than the last? Yes. Will be available in 2017? Yes, late. Will it have rear axle steering? Yes. Will it be limited in production numbers? Probably/Probably not. Will it have four wheel drive? High chance. Will it have active aero? Yes. Wil it have hybrid technology? No, but the 992. Will it be faster than the P14? Remains to be seen.

Having said that the next generation Porsche models will certainly have hybrid technology and a significant bump in system power available, combined with the high torque from 0 an electric engine provides. These will be interesting sports cars, but the technology is not limited to the 911, but will be used in the Cayenne/Panamera/Macan lines for greater efficiency (in the lower end configurations) and for more power than most people wish for (in the top of line configurations).

The rumored 960 (since 2010!) would probably nowadays have to be completely redesigned, as the original version, to be seen only behind closed doors with the new twin turbo V8, would now have to include many of the features and technologies available for the 991 and planned for the 992.

Having said that I personally believe that Porsche needs and has room for a sports car above the 911 with 800hp + system power and priced in the area of the 488GTB and having a true super car designation. With the confirmed all electric Mission E (we will see how they'll call that car) and the line extensions of the Panamera in the works, I wonder if funding for that "960" will still be made available. I am pretty certain that they won't go along and use the R8 platform for that, although it is decent enough for the Huracan, which itself is a big upgrade to the Gallardo.

Just my five cents.

Happy new year to all on this board!
John Galt likes this.
Declan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 39 Old 12-31-2016, 08:34 AM
InnerCircle
Owner
 
Iron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 233
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Is the 991 GT2 RS coming? Yes. Will it have more hp than the last? Yes. Will be available in 2017? Yes, late. Will it have rear axle steering? Yes. Will it be limited in production numbers? Probably/Probably not. Will it have four wheel drive? High chance. Will it have active aero? Yes. Wil it have hybrid technology? No, but the 992. Will it be faster than the P14? Remains to be seen.

Having said that the next generation Porsche models will certainly have hybrid technology and a significant bump in system power available, combined with the high torque from 0 an electric engine provides. These will be interesting sports cars, but the technology is not limited to the 911, but will be used in the Cayenne/Panamera/Macan lines for greater efficiency (in the lower end configurations) and for more power than most people wish for (in the top of line configurations).

The rumored 960 (since 2010!) would probably nowadays have to be completely redesigned, as the original version, to be seen only behind closed doors with the new twin turbo V8, would now have to include many of the features and technologies available for the 991 and planned for the 992.

Having said that I personally believe that Porsche needs and has room for a sports car above the 911 with 800hp + system power and priced in the area of the 488GTB and having a true super car designation. With the confirmed all electric Mission E (we will see how they'll call that car) and the line extensions of the Panamera in the works, I wonder if funding for that "960" will still be made available. I am pretty certain that they won't go along and use the R8 platform for that, although it is decent enough for the Huracan, which itself is a big upgrade to the Gallardo.

Just my five cents.

Happy new year to all on this board!
I doubt that Porsche needs a super sports car above the 911. Today Porsche earns by far the most money per car. I guess a "960" would worsen this balance.

Made Porsche profit with the 918? No. The same could happen with the 960. Except: they will have to be able to sell high quantities, and that would have a negative impact on the 911 sales.

Anyway, maybe you are right. I'm curious what Porsche will do.
Iron5 is offline  
post #18 of 39 Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 PM
 
Craigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 936
Was the last GT2 RS limited production? It seemed like the 997 was not limited per-se (like the 911R, 918, etc), just priced very high, limited for a very short period of time, and thus only a small quantity was sold.
Craigy is offline  
 
post #19 of 39 Old 01-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 6,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Was the last GT2 RS limited production? It seemed like the 997 was not limited per-se (like the 911R, 918, etc), just priced very high, limited for a very short period of time, and thus only a small quantity was sold.
believe you're correct Craigy... when they take the drive off two of the wheels and add a big dose of turbo (lag) then most people tend to find that a little bit out of their enjoyment quotient..

however, if you can sell a few carrera with awful interiors (okay and a bigger engine) with the limited tag then why not give it a whirl with another car you're unlikely to sell many of unless its limited...

funny, I rented a jeep cherokee last summer... that was also Limited... I suspected that was more an assertion of its ability, but it was actually pretty good.. ;-)
A West likes this.
Mikeyb is offline  
post #20 of 39 Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,363
Mycroft is offline  
post #21 of 39 Old 01-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 6,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
thanks.. wasn't (initially) that hard to get one
Mikeyb is offline  
post #22 of 39 Old 01-03-2017, 05:29 PM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Was the last GT2 RS limited production? It seemed like the 997 was not limited per-se (like the 911R, 918, etc), just priced very high, limited for a very short period of time, and thus only a small quantity was sold.
Yes, 500. Initially it was set up as either/or between the 2RS and the 4.0RS (600 cars) from what I was told for the major buyers. Later on into the build run it certainly wasn't the case as far as I am aware as quite a few people could and did get both from the factory. Neither car ended up being impossible to get new at the time (unlike say the 991R now).
Craigy likes this.
isv is online now  
post #23 of 39 Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
believe you're correct Craigy... when they take the drive off two of the wheels and add a big dose of turbo (lag) then most people tend to find that a little bit out of their enjoyment quotient..
And yet 20 years later someone buys a 993 GT2 for about £2m.
Mycroft is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 01-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 6,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
And yet 20 years later someone buys a 993 GT2 for about £2m.
I know. I cancelled my order for the gt2 RS. Thought it was going to depreciate like a...... heh ho..
Craigy likes this.
Mikeyb is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 01-03-2017, 09:23 PM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
And yet 20 years later someone buys a 993 GT2 for about £2m.
Well, hardly a surprise when it's a bloody rare car and someone worth billions is determined to have it.
isv is online now  
post #26 of 39 Old 01-09-2017, 09:32 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,363
Picture CUP front with big canards on the front, active aero bladder from the TTS, a little Gurney on the front bumper right in front of the front radiator outlet.
Same front fenders as the 991.1RS but reworked to fit 275/285.

Rear:
Big, semi active rear wing a hybrid wing between the current RS wing that moves like the TTS /918 wing, huge defuser between to cannon-like exhausts.
No manual.
Updated RWS.
Updated electric steering rack.
Updated PDKS gearing and programming. So no longer only granny mode and bat**** mode but sport, sport +, extreme and Race and Race Custom.
Same button with more settings as on the current C2S steering wheel.
Race custom allows you to adjust ABS, e-Diff, SC threshold and 3 settings for downforce.
SC can only be fully deactived with full downforce engaging over 60MPH.

Power
Bigger scoops for the air intakes a la GT4 plus fixed scoops worked into duck tail underneath the active rear wing. 700HP 640lb for 15 seconds on overboost.

Tires:
Next spec MPSC2, 285 / 345.

Colors:
CUP White and German flag colors as Mr Porsche intended are free.
All colors available in PTS from beginning to end of production run.

Brakes:
This time no std PCCB as already proven the 991 steel brake system is plenty strong and durable enough but a little more front brake cooling is added and a proper Movit based CCB system is optional. CF Carbon Revolution and Magnesium BBS wheels optional. Part of two track packages a la Weisach edition of the 918.

Clubsport package now available in the US but must be dealer installed with the CS package interior options reduced to current RS option list.
CS in a box + dealer install is an expensive option but it comes with a Barber track day to explain all the track setup of the systems.

Non-CS cars get sofas dont get the track packages option but all options available on the TTS are available. There will be a valet setting.

Base price $225K, CS package is 20k (Free ROW again c291dcd4e6fe3bfaf961d0b769ce4fcc. ) and can be optioned to well over $350K ...

No bull**** limited number plaque on the dash, same production numbers as the 991.1RS, the GT2RS is a direct replacement. No more NA RS.

Will remain in production along the TTS until 991 production seizes.
This will be the last steel tub, flat6, non hybrid RS.

Next 992RS will be similar with the 918 driveline mated to a flat8 in a CF tub"
Mycroft is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 01-09-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,008
991 gt2rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Picture CUP front with big canards on the front, active aero bladder from the TTS, a little Gurney on the front bumper right in front of the front radiator outlet.
Same front fenders as the 991.1RS but reworked to fit 275/285.

Rear:
Big, semi active rear wing a hybrid wing between the current RS wing that moves like the TTS /918 wing, huge defuser between to cannon-like exhausts.
No manual.
Updated RWS.
Updated electric steering rack.
Updated PDKS gearing and programming. So no longer only granny mode and bat**** mode but sport, sport +, extreme and Race and Race Custom.
Same button with more settings as on the current C2S steering wheel.
Race custom allows you to adjust ABS, e-Diff, SC threshold and 3 settings for downforce.
SC can only be fully deactived with full downforce engaging over 60MPH.

Power
Bigger scoops for the air intakes a la GT4 plus fixed scoops worked into duck tail underneath the active rear wing. 700HP 640lb for 15 seconds on overboost.

Tires:
Next spec MPSC2, 285 / 345.

Colors:
CUP White and German flag colors as Mr Porsche intended are free.
All colors available in PTS from beginning to end of production run.

Brakes:
This time no std PCCB as already proven the 991 steel brake system is plenty strong and durable enough but a little more front brake cooling is added and a proper Movit based CCB system is optional. CF Carbon Revolution and Magnesium BBS wheels optional. Part of two track packages a la Weisach edition of the 918.

Clubsport package now available in the US but must be dealer installed with the CS package interior options reduced to current RS option list.
CS in a box + dealer install is an expensive option but it comes with a Barber track day to explain all the track setup of the systems.

Non-CS cars get sofas dont get the track packages option but all options available on the TTS are available. There will be a valet setting.

Base price $225K, CS package is 20k (Free ROW again c291dcd4e6fe3bfaf961d0b769ce4fcc. ) and can be optioned to well over $350K ...

No bull**** limited number plaque on the dash, same production numbers as the 991.1RS, the GT2RS is a direct replacement. No more NA RS.

Will remain in production along the TTS until 991 production seizes.
This will be the last steel tub, flat6, non hybrid RS.

Next 992RS will be similar with the 918 driveline mated to a flat8 in a CF tub"

Well, that's probably all the info one could ask for, thanks mycroft



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by John Galt; 01-09-2017 at 02:29 PM.
John Galt is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 01-09-2017, 03:02 PM
 
TTM0TION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 846
Mycroft, not doubting challenging or implying anything but is that your "guess" or you know that for fact? I hadn't heard much of that but some very interesting details there.

-no McLaren...yet
TTM0TION is online now  
post #29 of 39 Old 01-09-2017, 06:59 PM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,268
It's taken from a post by 'Trakcar' at Rennlist. Most of it sounds correct (i'm very doubtful about tyre size admittedly) and I've met the rennlister at the 'ring as well and he didn't seem the type to be intentionally engaging in BS at all. The bit about open run sounds a little bit odd and is in contradiction to what I've been told by someone else but the numbers thing has been quite contradictory over the last few months afaik.
TTM0TION likes this.
isv is online now  
post #30 of 39 Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 6,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
It's taken from a post by 'Trakcar' at Rennlist. Most of it sounds correct (i'm very doubtful about tyre size admittedly) and I've met the rennlister at the 'ring as well and he didn't seem the type to be intentionally engaging in BS at all. The bit about open run sounds a little bit odd and is in contradiction to what I've been told by someone else but the numbers thing has been quite contradictory over the last few months <acronym title="As far as I know">afaik</acronym>.
225 us seems a very competitive price. Accepting its base. .?
Mikeyb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome