post #1 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Lamborghini Aventador S

The updated Aventador has arrived.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/supe...ni-aventador-s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 09:08 AM
Owner

Love the car, but it is a pain to drive.
post #3 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Owner
Owner

front looks a lot better, but still strange from the side...

and will still be super heavy and big!

post #4 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 AM
J1n

I think it looks great.. but ya wide and heavy
post #5 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM
isv
Owner

Interesting lambo have put in 4 wheel steer as well now. that seems all the rage right now (F12 TDF, AMG GT R, 918, 991 GT3/RS etc)... I really wonder are the improvements at least as far as performance so increased stability in high speed corners worth it or is it more just about the 'must have' automotive gimmick at the moment.
post #6 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
Interesting lambo have put in 4 wheel steer as well now. that seems all the rage right now (F12 TDF, AMG GT R, 918, 991 GT3/RS etc)... I really wonder are the improvements at least as far as performance so increased stability in high speed corners worth it or is it more just about the 'must have' automotive gimmick at the moment.
definitely makes the car feel a little more nimble in high speed direction changes... but yeah I suspect you're right that there is an element of the VAG group putting it on all their hi performance models... arguably the aventador is a good choice to have it on though as it's so lardy in the first place..
post #7 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 12:06 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
definitely makes the car feel a little more nimble in high speed direction changes... but yeah I suspect you're right that there is an element of the VAG group putting it on all their hi performance models... arguably the aventador is a good choice to have it on though as it's so lardy in the first place..
In theory I thought rear wheel steer at high speeds is setup to make the rear wheels point in the same direction.. so that has the effect of making lengthening the wheel base and therefore make the car more stable and potentially corner quicker.... I didn't think it'd make it necessarily more nimble as that's more for low speeds when the rear wheels go the other way than the front wheels? Or I suppose it might have some ability to affect rear tyre load that I'm missing I suppose so might make it better at direction changing too....

Last edited by isv; 12-19-2016 at 12:08 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
In theory I thought rear wheel steer at high speeds is setup to make the rear wheels point in the same direction.. so that has the effect of making lengthening the wheel base and therefore make the car more stable and potentially corner quicker.... I didn't think it'd make it necessarily more nimble as that's more for low speeds when the rear wheels go the other way than the front wheels? Or I suppose it might have some ability to affect rear tyre load that I'm missing I suppose so might make it better at direction changing too....
good point,.

language I used is the biggest issue.. it's definitely more stable and that's as you say the most noticeable difference, which in my mind means you have more confidence, making it more 'nimble'... but I guess nimble was the wrong word, but it feels more stable, without losing any of the cars inherent 'nimbleness'..

at slow speed where the car is certainly more nimble that it would otherwise be, I think I've confused the system once or twice with mine where the car has slid when I wasn't expecting it to.. to be fair it must be a nightmare to calibarate for all speeds and corner radii, but heh, that's what we pay them for!
isv likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure someone has a better understanding of 4W steering than I do but in my mind I'm struggling to see how it would work for high powered RWD cars like the TDF. Wouldn't having the power coming from the rear only enduce more oversteer when the wheels are facing the opposite direction?

Didn't the idea come about to help 4WD cars become more agile?
J1n likes this.

Last edited by nicklinacre17; 12-19-2016 at 12:18 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklinacre17 View Post
Wouldn't having the power coming from the rear only enduce more oversteer when the wheels are facing the opposite direction?
in these high end applications like the TDF or RS, the rear wheels turn in the SAME direction as the front above a certain speed. it's only at low speeds that they turn in the opposite direction.

so yeah, you can imagine during a high speed panic lane change maneuver, the rear wheels turning in the same direction as the fronts would help prevent potential tank slappers, at least in theory.
post #11 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
it's only at low speeds that they turn in the opposite direction
Totally understand the stabilisation at high speeds where the wheels turn in the same direction. I'm referring to the slower corners though. High powered RWD cars have a tendency to oversteer when coming out of sharper corners. Wouldn't this be enhanced when having the wheels facing in the opposite direction as there's no power coming from the front for stability?
post #12 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 01:54 PM

Looks way less cohesive than the original. The original Aventador looks the best IMO. Each new iteration got messier and messier.
post #13 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 02:32 PM

The Aventador has to be nearing the end of it's life right? This edition is just the tide over until the new car comes out?

-no McLaren...yet
post #14 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklinacre17 View Post
Totally understand the stabilisation at high speeds where the wheels turn in the same direction. I'm referring to the slower corners though. High powered RWD cars have a tendency to oversteer when coming out of sharper corners. Wouldn't this be enhanced when having the wheels facing in the opposite direction as there's no power coming from the front for stability?
In your example the low speed would still be the high speed ;-). What happens is that the car gets much easier (and I have two cars with rear axle steering) to handle when parking and in city traffic with the rear axle wheels facing in the opposite direction. That is the low speed application and it makes the car virtually "shorter". It works up to approx. 35 mph. There is a speed range between approx. 35 and 55 mph, where the rear axle steering is not active. And above approx. 55 mph the rear axle wheels do face in the same direction, making the car more stable and virtually "longer".

And when I put "approx." in this text, it is because I can't remember the exact numbers right now, but I shouldn't be far off.

Btw. The actuators at the rear wheels turn them only a small fraction, but the results is quite impressive.
post #15 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 06:10 PM

So is the RWS actually helping track driving at all then? I know various Japanese cars used to include it back in the '80s and '90s, but then it died a death and many owners had it removed for the weight saving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.