Lamborghini Aventador S - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
The Aventador has to be nearing the end of it's life right? This edition is just the tide over until the new car comes out?
It's definitely nearing the end of nearing the end. But I don't believe there has been any scoop on a successor just yet. Anyone know more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 10:24 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
So is the RWS actually helping track driving at all then? I know various Japanese cars used to include it back in the '80s and '90s, but then it died a death and many owners had it removed for the weight saving.
It helps a lot when you have to drive in and out of the garage, that is for sure. In very slow corners it won't be there, in faster corners you will see a more stable car, basically as if it were a little bit longer. On the Nordschleife it definitely works.

PS: Weight of the little actuators is probably neglectable.
post #18 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
It helps a lot when you have to drive in and out of the garage, that is for sure. In very slow corners it won't be there, in faster corners you will see a more stable car, basically as if it were a little bit longer. On the Nordschleife it definitely works.

PS: Weight of the little actuators is probably neglectable.
I had a car with, locked it out and removed the actuators. Much improvement.

post #19 of 29 Old 12-19-2016, 11:42 PM

RWS is a huge improvement. Probably one of the most significant performance improvements since the DCT.
post #20 of 29 Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 AM
Owner

Quote:
I had a car with, locked it out and removed the actuators. Much improvement.
Don't think the right engineering went into that car.
post #21 of 29 Old 12-20-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Don't think the right engineering went into that car.
It was regarded as one of the best engineered cars during its time - 1989-1994 - and one of the fastest on the Nordschleife. It operated exactly like people are saying in terms of the RWS but nobody really saw the benefits, so it often got removed as junk. The model was updated twice between 1994 and 2001 but retained the same basic drivetrain. However, when a modernised version of the basic layout was launched in 2008, the RWS was gone but the car once again produced some astonishing times. I remain sceptical about RWS.
post #22 of 29 Old 12-20-2016, 06:13 PM

RWS isn't a purely mechanical development. What it does is based on all sorts of sensor data and interactions with TC, ESP, etc. I have no doubt in my mind that RWS from the early 90s is crap compared to today.
post #23 of 29 Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
I really wonder are the improvements at least as far as performance so increased stability in high speed corners worth it or is it more just about the 'must have' automotive gimmick at the moment.
You would think that F1 would have it first if it was truly helping high speed cornering,...unless it's a weight, or a regulation thing....then again, they could reduce the weight if it was worth it & legal.
post #24 of 29 Old 12-20-2016, 09:32 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
You would think that F1 would have it first if it was truly helping high speed cornering,...unless it's a weight, or a regulation thing....then again, they could reduce the weight if it was worth it & legal.
Benetton trialled it years ago in the driver aid era but Schumacher and Patrese (i think, unsure) didn't find any real benefit. I think by the end of the test they had intentionally switched it off. That was years ago though, with modern sensors, computers and electronic development it's hard to say if that would be the case now.

I think it's banned nowadays anyway in most if not all forms of motorsport.
Mycroft and Kamran like this.
post #25 of 29 Old 12-21-2016, 03:29 AM

Quote:
It was regarded as one of the best engineered cars during its time - 1989-1994 - and one of the fastest on the Nordschleife. It operated exactly like people are saying in terms of the RWS but nobody really saw the benefits, so it often got removed as junk. The model was updated twice between 1994 and 2001 but retained the same basic drivetrain. However, when a modernised version of the basic layout was launched in 2008, the RWS was gone but the car once again produced some astonishing times. I remain sceptical about RWS.
I believe it was ahead of its time, thinking about it now, the reaction and tuning capabilities on today's RWS systems make those of old rather dated. Lockout bar or bust from 89-94...I have not heard much negative talk in the post '94 systems, nothing used in anything serious with these cars (GrpA etc)
post #26 of 29 Old 12-23-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
RWS isn't a purely mechanical development. What it does is based on all sorts of sensor data and interactions with TC, ESP, etc. I have no doubt in my mind that RWS from the early 90s is crap compared to today.
Was back then too, with inputs measured at either 100Hz or 1000Hz depending on the version.
post #27 of 29 Old 12-23-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieGuy View Post
I believe it was ahead of its time, thinking about it now, the reaction and tuning capabilities on today's RWS systems make those of old rather dated. Lockout bar or bust from 89-94...I have not heard much negative talk in the post '94 systems, nothing used in anything serious with these cars (GrpA etc)
It was essentially the same system on Skyline GTRs R32 through to R34, in conjunction with a computer controlled centre-diff, which had previously only been done on the Porsche 959. The R35 GTR was launched in 2008 with no RWS. You would have thought by 2008 that computing would be more than up to scratch and the microcontrollers they tend to use in these apps are nowhere near top end computing technology anyway.

I think in LMP it might be worth it, because there's a regulated minimum weight anyway, and it could help save tyres over a long endurance race. But if it means adding an unnecessary 50kg or so to a road car, which is never lapped for near as long, then IMO the cons outweigh the pros. The only beneficial use I can think of, is helping a 675LT do a 3 point turn.
post #28 of 29 Old 12-25-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
The only beneficial use I can think of, is helping a 675LT do a 3 point turn.
Sold!
eMcL likes this.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-03-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.