Ferrari J50 - McLaren Life
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari J50

New limited run car announced by Ferrari today.

http://www.evo.co.uk/ferrari/488-spi...rrari-in-japan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari J50 - Special Projects model celebrates 50 years of Ferrari in Japan

"Ferrari has a history of building special, limited-run creations based on its higher-volume models, and this is the latest - the Ferrari J50.
Based on the Ferrari 488 Spider, the J50 has been officially revealed at the National Art Center in Tokyo, and the clue to its purpose is within its name, as it celebrates 50 years of Ferrari in Japan.
Like the 488 Spider, it's a two-seat, mid-engined roadster and develops 681bhp from its 3.9-litre turbocharged V8 - 20bhp more than the regular car. No performance figures have been announced, but it's fair to expect incremental improvements over the production 488.

The greatest changes are to the Spider's styling. For its J50 transformation, the car has adopted a more futuristic - and it has to be said, a slightly more cohesive - look. Gone, for a start, is the Spider's folding metal roof, replaced by a pair of carbonfibre targa panels, but the result reduces the visual bulk that storing a folding roof entails. It's rendered sleeker still by a windscreen that appears to wrap around the cabin, visor-style.

The front end is also more aggressive, with slim horizontal lights in place of the tall standard items, and more pronounced, raised front wings. A distinctive mark is left by the black dividing line that stretches around the J50's nose and into the side air vents.
At the rear there's a return to twin tail-lights on each side - a detail not seen on a Ferrari of this size since the F430. Every line seems more prominent than it is on the 488 Spider and gives the car an impression of its bodywork being stretched over the arch-filling 20-inch forged wheels.

The cabin is less remarkable and more conventional, but there's new trim and a tasteful red and black colour scheme to the leather and Alcantara details.
The work of Ferrari's Special Projects department - previously responsible for the 458 MM Speciale, Eric Clapton's SP12 EC and the P540 Superfast Aperta among others - just ten examples of the J50 will be built, each tailored to its owner's individual tastes."
post #3 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 01:12 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
The "original" on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcA2-N2r0Lc

post #4 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 01:51 PM

I think it looks horrendously ugly lol

McLaren Enthusiast
Keyboard Warrior
post #5 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 01:59 PM
CPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklinacre17 View Post
New limited run car announced by Ferrari today.

Pretty.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 02:58 PM

I like it.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 07:22 PM

I like it too. Best thing from them in a while
post #8 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Owner
Owner

Definitely up my alley. Even if it is diesel.
Kannito likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 08:17 PM
McLaren Fanatic

I think it looks incredible - far better than the 488 it is based upon.

Ferrari keep doing this with their special project cars. The one-off SP275 RW Competizione that was delivered during Finali Mondiali is another example of an exceptional design from them.

>8^)
ER
Mark ANTAR likes this.

Andy Wallace on the McLaren F1 after setting the 240.1 MPH speed record at Ehra Lessien on March 31st 1998:

"I still say this is the best car ever built, ever, and probably will never be beaten."
post #10 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 08:25 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Wow, I think that looks way better than the 488 as well. But isn't it a little odd that the car is left hand drive in a right hand market? I wonder if all 10 will be left hand drive. Also I wonder if the car is only being offered in Japan to Japanese Ferrari collectors or if the 10 cars went to the 10 biggest Ferrari collectors in the world. The problem with making 10 of something is that you'll have hundreds of disappointed people who would have wanted one and happily paid for one. McLaren has the same problem with BP23 and they're making 106 examples.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-13-2016, 09:05 PM
McLaren Fanatic

I don't really understand it, but apparently it's a status thing to have a LHD car in Japan. Perhaps they will make them both ways?

Some articles suggest they will be limited just to Japanese customers much like the 10 F60 America's were limited to North American buyers.

>8^)
ER

Andy Wallace on the McLaren F1 after setting the 240.1 MPH speed record at Ehra Lessien on March 31st 1998:

"I still say this is the best car ever built, ever, and probably will never be beaten."
post #12 of 16 Old 12-14-2016, 02:01 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

I like it!
post #13 of 16 Old 12-14-2016, 03:17 AM
Owner

It looks like some out of grand theft auto. Like when they want it to look like a ferrari but not too much lest ferrari come down on them.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
I don't really understand it, but apparently it's a status thing to have a LHD car in Japan. Perhaps they will make them both ways?

Some articles suggest they will be limited just to Japanese customers much like the 10 F60 America's were limited to North American buyers.

>8^)
ER
The Japanese for whatever reason want the real/original experience and as Ferraris are made in Italy with steering on the left hand they want that for their Japanese cars as well. Having rented a 488GTB for the International Cavalcade around Kyoto this autumn, i was also surprised to find a left hand driven one. Pretty much every car there had the steering wheel on the "wrong" side...
post #15 of 16 Old 12-14-2016, 08:54 AM

i think it looks STRIKING, if not necessarily "pretty".

it certainly has the impact befitting an uber limited edition car.

i wish there was a coupe version!

and those wheels are GORGEOUS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.