Mercedes AMG-GT R - McLaren Life
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Mercedes AMG-GT R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AtXzca-zSY

They claim it's on Cup2 and stock... Tires on the side look a bit slick to me. If it is stock though, it just murdered the 488 and 675LT by 10s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 12:53 AM
isv
Owner

Bloody hell. sportauto so that's the same driver as well that did the 7:22 on the 488...with the same tyres

damn near 280kmh before schwedenkreuz... holy crap

late edit: just checked and it's supposed to weigh bloody 1630kg!!!!

Last edited by isv; 12-08-2016 at 12:56 AM.
post #3 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 04:51 AM
Track Rat Advocate
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
it has an f-duct, mega downforce, and a metric butt load of torque...pretty damn slick technology.

me: /P1, CGT, 675LT-S, 997RS, 911R /
wife: /PTS 991RS, 350R SUV stuff/
+2 rescue dogs

Dealer Principal- McLaren Scottsdale/Porsche Fresno
Team Owner- CJ Wilson Racing

post #4 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 06:45 AM

It sounds meh if you ask me, very monotone but i could be very wrong in person

McLaren Enthusiast
Keyboard Warrior
post #5 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post

They claim it's on Cup2 and stock... Tires on the side look a bit slick to me. If it is stock though, it just murdered the 488 and 675LT by 10s.
Tyres shown at 0:23 are slick, at 0:25 they are Cup 2s, but why were the slicks even there? I don't for one second believe it's faster than a 488.
post #6 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 12:20 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Tyres shown at 0:23 are slick, at 0:25 they are Cup 2s, but why were the slicks even there? I don't for one second believe it's faster than a 488.
Unless you are viewing the video in a hell of a lot better resolution than I am, it is not possible to say whether the tyres shown at 0:23 (lying on the ground) are slicks or treaded. There is certainly not enough information to assert that they are slicks.
post #7 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 12:36 PM
InnerCircle

Garage
love the way the guy just scratches his leg at 38 seconds like he is just driving down the highway.
post #8 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
Unless you are viewing the video in a hell of a lot better resolution than I am, it is not possible to say whether the tyres shown at 0:23 (lying on the ground) are slicks or treaded. There is certainly not enough information to assert that they are slicks.
View it full screen at 0:23 and look immediately right of the car:

However, here's what Sport Auto say.

Quote:
Again: No slicks or cutted slick-tyres were used for the lap time. AMG will offer two different versions of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for the AMG GT R. A normal one, like it is available for the GT S, and a special one for track driving with a more sticky compound. BUT: Both versions of Cup 2 for the AMG GT R are fully street legal! You can compare the sticky Cup 2 for AMG GT R with the Cup 2 for the Corvette Z06. The grip level feels pretty similar!
So again we see the dubious nature of bespoke Cup 2s.
Craigy likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Owner

Quote:
And here we are again with conspiracy theories, and about tires even!

I'm pretty impressed, well done Mercedes!
Mikeyb likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
They were testing the GT3 race car car as well, you can see it fly past the GT R at the 3:15 mark. That car definitely has slicks.

That said, the tires you're looking at are just wrapped to keep them warm. They aren't slick. You can see them here:

Mikeyb likes this.

Last edited by noone2; 12-08-2016 at 03:55 PM.
post #11 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 05:08 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
View it full screen at 0:23 and look immediately right of the car:

However, here's what Sport Auto say.

So again we see the dubious nature of bespoke Cup 2s.
I must say that I am far from convinced that that tyre is a slick. I'm not insisting that it is not, but I really don't think there is enough resolution, even in full screen, for one to be confident that it is.
post #12 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
I must say that I am far from convinced that that tyre is a slick. I'm not insisting that it is not, but I really don't think there is enough resolution, even in full screen, for one to be confident that it is.
The only thing I would say NB is that the tyre they're resting on you can clearly see has a tread pattern.

But as I think Craigy or no one pointed out, they had the gt3 there too so may be the wheel set for that (if indeed they are slick).

Whichever way you look at it the tyres were very good indeed :-)
Mycroft likes this.
post #13 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
They were testing the GT3 race car car as well, you can see it fly past the GT R at the 3:15 mark. That car definitely has slicks.

That said, the tires you're looking at are just wrapped to keep them warm. They aren't slick. You can see them here:

That is the one rear of the two in my picture. There are 2 slicks sitting on top of 1 Cup 2.

Having said that Sport Auto claimed they used a stickier set of Cup 2s (they offer 2 different Cup 2s apparently), which raises a lot of questions about tyre comparisons.
post #14 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 06:43 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
The only thing I would say NB is that the tyre they're resting on you can clearly see has a tread pattern.

But as I think Craigy or no one pointed out, they had the gt3 there too so may be the wheel set for that (if indeed they are slick).

A GT3 wheel would have a centre-locking nut, would it not?

I think you would agree with me that, although it would not be impossible, it would be pretty unusual for a professional crew to have four mounted tyres sitting in a little group of their own, but with the tyres having come from different sets for different cars. Apart from the impracticality, there is too great a risk that someone would put a totally mismatched set on a car and that would cause a crash. If we can see treads on one of the tyres, I would suggest that the reason we cannot see treads on another tyre is not because it didn't have any.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but I do think it very unlikely that Merc or Sport Auto would set a time on true slicks but then pretend that they had been road tyres. If needs be I could find out, but I'd rather not bother someone by pursuing it.
post #15 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc5 View Post
And here we are again with conspiracy theories, and about tires even!

I'm pretty impressed, well done Mercedes!
Well when a front-engined RWD Merc weighing as much as a 918 with the bhp of a 458 beats a 918, naturally people scratch their heads and look for answers. And whilst it may not have been on slicks, the tyres it did use probably aren't that far off slicks wrt performance, because it's the only explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
And that we can all agree on, because there is nothing about this car that screams "faster than a 918 or 488", so that only leaves the tyres. Basic process of elimination. But no doubt Merc fan-boys will still cry foul when up against cars on Trofeos, even though they have the stickiest road legal tyres ever, apart from maybe Kumho V720 ACRs.

Last edited by Mycroft; 12-08-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.