Mercedes AMG-GT R - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
A GT3 wheel would have a centre-locking nut, would it not?

I think you would agree with me that, although it would not be impossible, it would be pretty unusual for a professional crew to have four mounted tyres sitting in a little group of their own, but with the tyres having come from different sets for different cars. Apart from the impracticality, there is too great a risk that someone would put a totally mismatched set on a car and that would cause a crash. If we can see treads on one of the tyres, I would suggest that the reason we cannot see treads on another tyre is not because it didn't have any.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but I do think it very unlikely that Merc or Sport Auto would set a time on true slicks but then pretend that they had been road tyres. If needs be I could find out, but I'd rather not bother someone by pursuing it.
Yes you're right. A race car wheel would have a centre lock so those wheels are unlikely to be race car. Also agree we can assume tyre sets would remain together. The two tyres though resting on the third could be slick imo, and to me the car drives like it has slicks on, and whilst merc are offering a sticky mpsc2, I would guess after 13 miles the car would be moving more given its pace and my own experience on mpsc2 .

Whichever way you look at it, merc produce very dynamically capable cars on track so it's inevitable that that knowledge will transfer to their track focused road cars.

It is odd not seeing the driver even flick a paddle !
roundincircles and Mycroft like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 07:12 PM

What also struck me was the lack of tyre squealing. I would have expected the car to sound like a pig being pitch-forked whilst cornering like that.
post #18 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 07:43 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
What also struck me was the lack of tyre squealing. I would have expected the car to sound like a pig being pitch-forked whilst cornering like that.
Seriously? You and I must have been watching different videos!

I thought there were many bends where you could hear the front tyres squealing like a pair of banshees.

post #19 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 08:05 PM
isv
Owner

What's the hockhenheim time? It's been suggested to me that the ring time might be down to Gebhardt being more confident in the car's handling to push it very hard compared to some of the other really high powered mid engined cars (488/918). He was only 2 seconds off the factory gt4 time for example which is a car most people do seem to think is a comfortable one to push hard but a long way off in the 918.
post #20 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Straight from SA:

"Again: No slicks or cutted slick-tyres were used for the lap time. AMG will offer two different versions of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for the AMG GT R. A normal one, like it is available for the GT S, and a special one for track driving with a more sticky compound. BUT: Both versions of Cup 2 for the AMG GT R are fully street legal! You can compare the sticky Cup 2 for AMG GT R with the Cup 2 for the Corvette Z06. The grip level feels pretty similar!"

If those other tires are in fact slicks and not just completely worn out Cup2, they could have also been for this. They announced it 2 days ago as well and it doesn't use center locks. If they had a GT R and GT3 there, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a GT4 there as well.

Last edited by noone2; 12-08-2016 at 08:35 PM.
post #21 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 09:33 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post

Actually, looking at that I'm almost starting to believe the cut slicks theory.

The GT R is pulling some incredible g numbers if they are accurate and the cornering speeds are well in excess (flugplatz apart) of those seen in other Cup2 shod cars in ambient temperatures that should have long meant the tyres are not working at their best. 1.5g at brunnchen, seriously?! There's little camber there and such compared to a lot of other corners only being slightly downhill so that should be mostly lateral grip. That's an insane amount if it's steady state cornering g.

Or Michelin have delivered a special Cup2 that bears very little resemblance to the standard Cup 2 just to help manufacturers game the lap time war. In any case, it's still an incredible achievement for Merc. Even allowing 10 seconds for a special Cup2 over a standard one (which was there or abouts the difference between the Cup and the supersport) which is a lot, at 7:20 it's still awesomely quick.

Last edited by isv; 12-08-2016 at 10:20 PM.
post #22 of 33 Old 12-08-2016, 10:31 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
The two tyres though resting on the third could be slick imo,
Resolution issue on the first picture. Sport Auto apparently put this up later. The tyres just look slick as they have been completely shot. Strange the outer shoulders haven't been worn down first though. They are usually the first areas to go, on the fronts anyway.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/101304507...731480/?type=3

I can't embed the pic properly so I've just dumped in the link.

Last edited by isv; 12-08-2016 at 10:34 PM.
post #23 of 33 Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
Resolution issue on the first picture. Sport Auto apparently put this up later. The tyres just look slick as they have been completely shot. Strange the outer shoulders haven't been worn down first though. They are usually the first areas to go, on the fronts anyway.

Oh FFS mate, everything posted on Fakebook is fake. What are you going to tell me next, that the Pope is a trump supporter??

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
post #24 of 33 Old 12-09-2016, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Make sense that the tires were shot. They were probably doing a lot of laps. You can actually see the previous lap times on the timer on the dash. The lap before 7:10 was 7:14. I think it was 7:44 before that too.
post #25 of 33 Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 AM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
Oh FFS mate, everything posted on Fakebook is fake. What are you going to tell me next, that the Pope is a trump supporter??

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
You mean he's not.....?!

Found another source of the pic. to save people from clicking on facebook links.....

Not sure what this proves re the pope and trump

Last edited by isv; 12-09-2016 at 08:14 AM.
post #26 of 33 Old 12-09-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post

Not the same photo. In previous shot there were two tyres (looking slick) atop 1 Cup 2 and only 1 tyre with a cover to the rear.

post #27 of 33 Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Not the same photo. In previous shot there were two tyres (looking slick) atop 1 Cup 2 and only 1 tyre with a cover to the rear.

LOL. This is the dumbest post ever.

It's the same picture! The first picture came a few minutes after the second picture. The only difference is that they had swapped another tire already.

2 tires with covers, 2 used tires.
1 tire with cover, 3 used tires.

What exactly do you think is happening in a picture of them setting up tires? They're changing the worn out tires.
post #28 of 33 Old 12-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
LOL. This is the dumbest post ever.

It's the same picture! The first picture came a few minutes after the second picture. The only difference is that they had swapped another tire already.

2 tires with covers, 2 used tires.
1 tire with cover, 3 used tires.

What exactly do you think is happening in a picture of them setting up tires? They're changing the worn out tires.
Conspiracy theories are like this, the more evidence you provide, the more likely it is someone will show up with a gun to "self investigate"

[ For those of you lucky enough not to be following American politics at all, you can google for "Pizzagate" if you want to understand the reference ]
6th element likes this.

Last edited by jmc5; 12-09-2016 at 01:55 PM.
post #29 of 33 Old 12-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc5 View Post
Conspiracy theories are like this, the more evidence you provide, the more likely it is someone will show up with a gun to "self investigate"

[ For those of you lucky enough not to be following American politics at all, you can google for "Pizzagate" if you want to understand the reference ]
I'm surprised nobody is talking about the guy creeping from behind the AMG van. I mean look how fekking suspicious he looks! What exactly is HE doing?
Mikeyb likes this.
post #30 of 33 Old 12-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
I'm surprised nobody is talking about the guy creeping from behind the AMG van. I mean look how fekking suspicious he looks! What exactly is HE doing?

I think the car is photoshopped into the image as is the creepy bloke, pitlane and tyres. The tyres are clearly hovering above the surface......ahh, holy moses, low friction levitating tyres, that's just cheating.

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

Various 911's from 1991

Smart 4/2 , 16 Honda Africa Twin.

12C Coupe , Spider and 650S Spider Now History but not forgotten. 720S on order since 2013.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.