Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 Old 03-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeBeast View Post
here is more info

Aston's $3 million hypercar will be as quick as an F1 car and as beautiful as a One-77. Aston Martin has announced its working on a “ground-breaking hypercar” in collaboration with Formula One team Red Bull Racing. Red Bull’s Chief Technical Officer and the most successful F1 designer of all time, Adrian Newey, and Aston’s Chief Creative Officer, Marek Reichman, who has been the carmaker’s design chief since 2015 will join forces to create “the ultimate hypercar.” Codenamed ‘AM-RB 001,’ the new hypercar will synergize cutting-edge F1 tech with an unmistakable Aston design

eichamn is the man behind such stunning creations as the One-77, Aston Martin Vulcan and the carmaker’s latest offering, the DB11. “We are in the process of developing a hypercar that combines the latest in aerodynamics from F1TM and the stunning design language of an Aston Martin sports car,” said Reichman. “The opportunity to collaborate with Adrian (Newey) and Red Bull Advanced Technologies will be a fascinating experience for everyone involved. Unconstrained by F1TM regulations, we have a unique chance to create a car in its most efficient form that will represent the ultimate fusion of art and technology.”

The designer of ten World Championship winning F1 cars, Adrian Newey, revealed that: “From the age of six I have had two goals in life – to be involved in the design of racing cars, and to be involved in the design of a supercar. Whilst the former ambition went on to form my career to date, the latter has always bubbled away, resulting in countless sketches and doodles over the years. The opportunity to now develop and realize those ideas whilst working with Marek and his colleagues from Aston Martin is tremendously exciting. It allows us to translate the technology we have developed in F1TM into a new arena.” Without revealing details, the single sketch is all we have to go on

Styling will doubtless be heavily influenced by Newey’s 30 years of F1 aerodynamics knowledge, while speaking with Auto Express, Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer said the hypercar will be more focused on being quick around a track than trying to beat the Bugatti Chiron in a drag race. As well as being "spectacularly beautiful" and roadworthy, the hypercar will have the ability to lap a circuit as quick as an F1 or LMP1 racecar. Power is likely to come from Aston's new V12 combined with an F1-style KERS hybrid system. Aston’s hypercar will be ready for launch in 2018. Expect a price tag in the region of $3 million, and a 100-unit limited run production

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/3/1...ercar-7732553/
Attached Images

12 XKR-S 03 Lotus Esprit
06 Ford GT 83 DMC-12
66 Sunbeam Tiger -91 MR2
72 E Type 82 BJ-42
77 Datsun 280Z 76 FJ-45 Pick up
82 HJ-45 15 Jag XJ
96 911 C4
08 MB SLK55
14 50-12C
15 F Type R
16 Project 7
16 Aston Martin DB 9 GT Bond edition
17 Aston Martin Vantage V12 S 7 Sp Manual

Last edited by Zachary; 03-17-2016 at 06:09 PM.
post #3 of 237 Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

A "spectacularly beautiful" road car that is as quick around a circuit as an LMP1 racing car?
I don't think so.
Patricko, Kamran and Robinsmjr like this.

post #4 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 12:56 AM

I think we all remember what happened when the executive of one hypercar manufacturer made some outrageous and inplausible claims about his company's upcoming car...
post #5 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 03:23 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
A "spectacularly beautiful" road car that is as quick around a circuit as an LMP1 racing car?
I don't think so.
Well if anybody can do it, surely Newey? If they incorporate radical active aero and perhaps active ride height, I could see how a somewhat curvy shape could be retained.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 03:40 AM

I wouldn't count Newey out...

There are already modified tin tops running F3 laptimes while being on non-slicks. With true top level underbody setups and a larger surface area to work with compared to said tin tops, and a full carbon chassis, I can see an unrestricted car getting close to lmp1 times.

The car will essentially be a mid engine Vulcan-class car with 200 more horsepower and four to five times the downforce
post #7 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 PM

The most obvious challenge of any road car trying to approach F1 level performance around a track is the Center of Gravity.

A road car has a much higher CoG than an F1 car (or other race car) and that has a huge negative impact on cornering performance. The road car must have a higher CoG because it has to deal with the realities of uneven pavement on public roads, unlike smooth pavement of an F1 racetrack.

Then there are the tires. Obviously street legal tires are far less sticky than race car tires that only have to last a few hundred km. Another big performance disadvantage.

Also, the driver of a road car must be able to see more than a few metres around his car, so there would necessarily be aerodynamic design compromises in a road car that wouldn't be necessary in a race car.

So, if any designer could overcome these (and many other) built in performance disadvantages inherent in a road car, why wouldn't he apply this "secret sauce" to an existing F1 car and thereby make it go even faster than it can go now?
post #8 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 07:07 PM

Simply because they are banned in Motorsport competition/f1.

Many many aerodynamic concepts that simply are not allowed to be used in F1.

There are road based time attack cars with more than double the downforce of f1 cars. They still meet your visibility requirement.

Tires are easy, select mpsc2 for road and something really sticky for the track.

Ride height can be adjusted with active aero/magnetic or hydraulic suspension. Also easy.
post #9 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 07:12 PM

At the race this weekend there was a lot of speculation that there might be more to this venture. We know Red Bull using the Renault block and making their own labeled engines. Talk is Aston Martin be in some way the supplier of F1 engines to their team next year. Just a rumor but stranger things have happened.
post #10 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 07:54 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
At the race this weekend there was a lot of speculation that there might be more to this venture. We know Red Bull using the Renault block and making their own labeled engines. Talk is Aston Martin be in some way the supplier of F1 engines to their team next year. Just a rumor but stranger things have happened.
Yes, in the Alice-in-Wonderland world of Formula One anything is possible, but I cannot imagine how it could make any sense for AM to become an F1 engine supplier.
- Aston Martin have no in-house engine making expertise or capability, and have not done for many years.
- Not long ago AM signed a long-term contract with Mercedes to use Merc engines in all AM production road cars for the foreseeable future.
- As part of that contract Merc took an equity stake in AM.
- As we all know, the Merc engine is currently dominant in F1.
- Aston Martin has no real money. Prior to the announcement of the Merc equity investment, people were wondering how AM would be able to pay for development of their next model

At the same time, despite wanting a "performance" image, Merc have never done a limited edition "hypercar", unless one counts the CLK-GTR which is literally the worst road car I have been in in my life, and of which it took the Mercedes global sales network 6 years to sell 25 units.

For those reasons, to me at least it seems much more likely that the Newey/Aston project would have Merc power, and that any "Aston Martin" engine in F1 would be such in name only.
post #11 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
- Not long ago AM signed a long-term contract with Mercedes to use Merc engines in all AM production road cars for the foreseeable future.
The V12 in the DB11 was designed in house by AM. The V8 though will be from AMG.

Current
2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
post #12 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 10:30 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentownage001 View Post
The V12 in the DB11 was designed in house by AM. The V8 though will be from AMG.
I appreciate that there is a building on an industrial estate in Niehl, Cologne, DE, which is called the "Aston Martin Engine Plant", but I think the fact that the overall industrial estate is titled the "Ford Niehl Engine Plant" summarises the situation.
I'm not trying to criticise them, but AM, like McLaren, do not have the massive funding, staff and institutional knowledge necessary to design bespoke high-performance engines in-house, and that's just road car engines.
As hugely experienced racing engine designers and builders such as Renault and Honda have discovered, to design a currently competitive Formula One engine is nothing less than an enormous intellectual and financial challenge.
In AM's case, even if they had the staff and the institutional knowledge, the business case would not stack up. In a good year, AM might sell 2,000 cars. Their average car sells for meaningfully less than the average car sold by Ferrari, which sells roughly 4x as many cars per annum. Ergo Ferrari's revenue base is probably 6x as big as AM's. For AM to spend as much on F1 engines as Ferrari (for example) do, AM would have to amortise the same huge expense against only 15% as much revenue. It can't work.
post #13 of 237 Old 03-20-2016, 11:38 PM
MSO
InnerCircle
Owner

This is a drawing of the rumored Adrian Newey Aston Martin hyper car. If they build this it would be great. I wonder if Mercedes Benz would build the power plant for it since they have a 10% interest.
Attached Images

post #14 of 237 Old 03-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I appreciate that there is a building on an industrial estate in Niehl, Cologne, DE, which is called the "Aston Martin Engine Plant", but I think the fact that the overall industrial estate is titled the "Ford Niehl Engine Plant" summarises the situation.
I'm not trying to criticise them, but AM, like McLaren, do not have the massive funding, staff and institutional knowledge necessary to design bespoke high-performance engines in-house, and that's just road car engines.
As hugely experienced racing engine designers and builders such as Renault and Honda have discovered, to design a currently competitive Formula One engine is nothing less than an enormous intellectual and financial challenge.
In AM's case, even if they had the staff and the institutional knowledge, the business case would not stack up. In a good year, AM might sell 2,000 cars. Their average car sells for meaningfully less than the average car sold by Ferrari, which sells roughly 4x as many cars per annum. Ergo Ferrari's revenue base is probably 6x as big as AM's. For AM to spend as much on F1 engines as Ferrari (for example) do, AM would have to amortise the same huge expense against only 15% as much revenue. It can't work.
Absolutely!
AM are also massively strapped for cash.
Astons race engines are std units taken from the Ford plant at Cologne and then extensively reworked by Prodrive (who run the AMR teams )

VR 650S Spider 14k miles done in 14 months!
post #15 of 237 Old 03-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
There was a documentary on Adrian Newey a year or so back in which he mentioned his dream of the "ultimate road car"
He actually showed a 3D printed model of it
It wasn't the "free form F1 car" posted in the car buzz link above nor was it like the blue vanquishised 177 above.
I suspect this "deal" is written around realising that model, it will be interesting to see what engine goes in to it and what influence Marek Reichman has over Adrian Newey!

VR 650S Spider 14k miles done in 14 months!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.