The 2016 Ford GT - Page 45 - McLaren Life
 289Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #661 of 802 Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

The 2016 Ford GT

I wonder how many people who have been allocated a Ford GT will, when their actual deposits come due, balk at having to hold them for 24 months after delivery and pass on them allowing people further down the list to get a chance to take the unpurchased cars. There will also certainly be places (states or countries) where that won't be enforceable.

Last edited by MarkNC; 02-13-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 802 Old 02-13-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
So, from what I heard today, don't be surprised if the car sticks around longer, has higher production, etc.
Some buyers won't be pleased with that.
post #663 of 802 Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 PM

I highly doubt production will increase. My hunch, is might decrease, but only a hunch.
As it is, they are quite laborious to roll off the assembly line.

2015 650S Le Mans
2005 Ford GT
2010 GT3RS 3.8
2011 GT3RS 4.0 Black

(incoming) 2018 Ford GT
(recently departed) 2005 Carrera GT, 2016 GT3RS

post #664 of 802 Old 02-13-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ford is not McLaren. When it says 1000, it means 1000 ( not 1000, plus another 1000 spiders, oh, and another 500 special carbon editions!).

As far as the two-year right of first refusal/no sale agreement, I had to sign one when I ordered my 12c. I showed it to my lawyer who laughed and told me"in America, no-one can stop you from selling your possessions" so, at least in the US, it's worthless. If an individual did sell within two years (as is guaranteed to happen at some point) they'll never get a shot at any future special Fords. I've already heard of two brokers offering $1.2 million for a car. They won't be getting mine!

current stable;
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C
- 2006 Ford GT
- 2014 Range Rover HSE SC
- 1999 Kubota 480L tractor
- 1965 Mustang GT350R clone
- Rolls Royce Meteor V-12 tank engine!!
post #665 of 802 Old 02-13-2017, 03:56 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas mongrel View Post
Ford is not McLaren. When it says 1000, it means 1000 ( not 1000, plus another 1000 spiders, oh, and another 500 special carbon editions!).
But Ford did not say 1,000. They never said any number. They simply said they could currently make 250 per year, announced the first two years, then announced another two years. There's nothing stopping them from increasing production or extending the number of years. Now given that they made over 4,000 of the previous car, and they're currently selling for around double the original MSRP, I'm not saying that's a problem.

Quote:
As far as the two-year right of first refusal/no sale agreement, I had to sign one when I ordered my 12c. I showed it to my lawyer who laughed and told me"in America, no-one can stop you from selling your possessions" so, at least in the US, it's worthless. If an individual did sell within two years (as is guaranteed to happen at some point) they'll never get a shot at any future special Fords. I've already heard of two brokers offering $1.2 million for a car. They won't be getting mine!
I think your lawyer is giving you bad advice. I work with contracts a LOT and been involved with contract litigation and I would certainly never hire a lawyer who told me I could disregard any contract I had signed. I've seen that backfire, luckily not for me, in a huge way before.

They can stop you from selling your possessions if you sign an agreement that makes you not the sole owner of something you possess until some particular condition has been met. For example: you're almost never the owner of software you license, especially if it is sold with source code. I talked with a lawyer about this particular issue and he said there might be some states where that's not enforceable but in lieu of a specific state law he didn't see any reason why it couldn't be and if you agree the agreement will be governed under the law of state that allows it then they could haul you into court in that state. This isn't some dealer telling you their shady terms and conditions but rather the Ford Motor Company themselves. They certainly have the resources to go after people who don't comply with their agreements. Now whether they'd do anything about it is another story. But, depending on how they word the agreement, they could conceivably void the warranty for the car and/or refuse to allow their specialized Ford GT service centers to work on it and certainly refuse to sell you another one. They might even be able to claim damages or force you to return the car to them. They could certainly go after the person who bought it if they felt it had been transferred unlawfully because it was encumbered under a contract.
Craigy, Abdulaziz and Mjet507 like this.

Last edited by MarkNC; 02-13-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #666 of 802 Old 02-13-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:

LOL. What? You should really get a new lawyer. Why would you think the terms of such a contract aren't enforceable? They most certainly are.
Craigy likes this.
post #667 of 802 Old 02-13-2017, 10:16 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Quote:

A lot of gaming goes on. Per my understanding (generally not specific to ford); you have to give the dealer first right to buy it at MSRP. If they don't want to then it's up to you to sell it.

Second; people can do bait and switch. Order it in one name and then title it in a different name. Happens all the time in the normal course of buying a car. You order it in your name, but title it in wife's name or company name. Some just do a bait and switch with it.

Other obvious way is to put the car in a company name and then sell the company. Car technically hasn't been sold since title of the car didn't change.

One of my friends received a TDF which they didn't spec because dealer wouldn't sell it to the original customer (person sold their laferrari too early without going through the process). As far as I am aware it has gone down a legal route.
post #668 of 802 Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Sorry guys, I'm comfortable with my comments and stand by them. In thirty years of running my business in the highly litigious oil and gas industry my lawyer never lost a case for me, so I'll take his word over others.
And regarding quantity, look back through this thread and you'll find lots of discussion about there being only 500 or 750, so the odds of them building more than 1000 are negligable: A four year Le Mans programme, plus the ability to only build an absolute maximum of one per production day (i.e. 250 a year), do the math. But hey, there's still 250 up for grabs!

current stable;
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C
- 2006 Ford GT
post #669 of 802 Old 02-14-2017, 05:44 PM

Maybe it will be like Playstations. Stupid price for the first year, then sensible prices after that.
Craigy likes this.
post #670 of 802 Old 02-14-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry guys, I'm comfortable with my comments and stand by them. In thirty years of running my business in the highly litigious oil and gas industry my lawyer never lost a case for me, so I'll take his word over others.
And regarding quantity, look back through this thread and you'll find lots of discussion about there being only 500 or 750, so the odds of them building more than 1000 are negligable: A four year Le Mans programme, plus the ability to only build an absolute maximum of one per production day (i.e. 250 a year), do the math. But hey, there's still 250 up for grabs!
Lamborghini said 4000 Aventadors too, yet they've already sold way more.

Remember, you're assuming Ford will just give up on Le Mans after 4 years instead of creating a new version to keep competing.
post #671 of 802 Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Remember, you're assuming Ford will just give up on Le Mans after 4 years instead of creating a new version to keep competing.
Ford are on record about the four years. If they decide to "create a new version to keep on competing", err, that would be a different car wouldn't it?

current stable;
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C
- 2006 Ford GT
post #672 of 802 Old 02-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Ford are on record about the four years. If they decide to "create a new version to keep on competing", err, that would be a different car wouldn't it?
What's to stop them from going 6 years?
post #673 of 802 Old 02-15-2017, 03:56 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
What's to stop them from going 6 years?
Nobody because they were "on the record" for two years before they went "on the record" for four years. They didn't say "only four years" they simply said they were extending production another two years. They could easily go "on the record" for eight years if they wanted to. They could also move production to a place with larger capacity.
Craigy likes this.
post #674 of 802 Old 02-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Owner

From what I learned the limit is based on the autoclave for the carbon parts. They could easily get another one installed and increase the daily output after a while to two. An adverse effect in the total program cost stops them for now.
Craigy likes this.
post #675 of 802 Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
From what I learned the limit is based on the autoclave for the carbon parts. They could easily get another one installed and increase the daily output after a while to two. An adverse effect in the total program cost stops them for now.
Same company is building the carbon structures for the Aston Martin Red Bull car (AMRB-001) so that probably isn't helping their capacity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.