The 2016 Ford GT - Page 3 - McLaren Life
 293Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM

^ that

It looks like a pastiche of a few different cars. dramatic, but won't age well because the overall design is too 'gimmicky'

quoted figures make it sound like it'd be on par with a update-version 12C, but definitely not compared to the car that will replace the 650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Owner

I bet it smokes a 12C/650S. Cars don't get worse with time, especially when they're halo cars. If Chevy can make a 2015 Z07 as good as it has, then I don't think it's hard to imagine an equally powerful and even newer car that's like 500lbs lighter being anything short of amazing.
post #33 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
How about the Ford Asterion?
First thing that popped up in my head at first sight! didn't help with that particular shade of color. Good to see something a bit more, erm interesting with forms?

post #34 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone1 View Post
I bet it smokes a 12C/650S. Cars don't get worse with time, .
Cars don't get worse with time, yet you're saying that a car you saw yesterday for the first time will 'smoke' the 12C/650S in the looks department, in time?
post #35 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Owner

Dunno why people say it looked like the Asterion. How could it? It's not like they can whip up a brand new car in the span of a few months. The car/concept was probably designed a year ago at least. If anything, the Asterion looks like a Ford GT.
post #36 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Owner

Quote:
Cars don't get worse with time, yet you're saying that a car you saw yesterday for the first time will 'smoke' the 12C/650S in the looks department, in time?
No, will smoke it in performance. Looks on the other hand definitely can and often do fade with time.
post #37 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Owner

Quote:
Dunno why people say it looked like the Asterion. How could it? It's not like they can whip up a brand new car in the span of a few months. The car/concept was probably designed a year ago at least. If anything, the Asterion looks like a Ford GT.
So the Ford GT was designed a year ago, revealed yesterday and Lamborghini stole the design for their reveal in October? Lamborghini should just go ahead and abandon cars and release their time machine already.
post #38 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I bet it smokes a 12C/650S. Cars don't get worse with time, especially when they're halo cars. If Chevy can make a 2015 Z07 as good as it has, then I don't think it's hard to imagine an equally powerful and even newer car that's like 500lbs lighter being anything short of amazing.
That's not completely true. We had the 70's pretty much make every car worse than its forebears at least performance wise if not looks wise. Many would say that the NSX got worse looking. I think even the NSX HSC concept was way better than the current NSX. Heck, almost all honda's got uglier and in some ways perform worse than their 90's fore-bearers. Some feel the F50 is a step back from the F40.

Not all evolution is progressive.

That said, you'd think the new FGT very much SHOULD be better than all these cars as it is significantly newer. It will have 4 years on a 12C.

Then again, a 12C seems to do a pretty decent job keeping up with a speciale, so its not a lock.

Im jazzed and hope the state of the art advances on all these new cars and makes the predecessors look tame in comparison.
post #39 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
And I see a few places that it's going to be called the Phoenix? I really hope that's not true but I suppose an awful design needs an awful name.
That was the code name for the project. FYI, the last GT was project Petunia. Think about it, Ford have developed this car in absolute secrecy, no spy shots, no idea of what it looked like until the reveal on Monday. How many times have we seen other manufacturers's prototypes driving around with funky wraps? Whatever you think about the car, Ford's security is good, maybe Sony should talk with them....

current stable;
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C
- 2006 Ford GT
- 2014 Range Rover HSE SC
- 1999 Kubota 480L tractor
- 1965 Mustang GT350R clone
- Rolls Royce Meteor V-12 tank engine!!
post #40 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Owner

Quote:
Apparently I'm alone in this thought but this thing looks like an absolute mess. And a V6? I'd rather drive a Mustang. Whoever is comparing this to the P15 must be on a steady diet of crazy pills.
+2. Catastrophic styling and a V6!! WTH!! If I had to buy a new Ford then this would be the one.

12C- Spider, Maserati GT - Convert., NSX, Spec Miata
post #41 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Owner

Phoenix was just a code name (rise from the ashes), Ford codenames all their cars. I don't know where you see catastrophic design, I think it looks fantastic, but what I do see is it took the best from every car and put it all in one, except for the engine. About the only thing unique about it is the interior, although it looks like it was lifted off a Buck Rogers cockpit concept.

Front end: 458
Doors: 12C/650S
Rear quarters and hatch: LaFerrari
Rear taillights: Nissan 2020
post #42 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Owner

Quote:
No, will smoke it in performance. Looks on the other hand definitely can and often do fade with time.
What did I miss about the performance? Are there concrete figures out? How will it smoke the 12C and 650S? You must be referring to all american muscle cars' obsession with burning out tires non-stop. As far a track times and performance figures, it may be close but I don't think anyone will be using the word 'smoke' when comparing it with the McLarens.
post #43 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas mongrel View Post
That was the code name for the project. FYI, the last GT was project Petunia. Think about it, Ford have developed this car in absolute secrecy, no spy shots, no idea of what it looked like until the reveal on Monday. How many times have we seen other manufacturers's prototypes driving around with funky wraps? Whatever you think about the car, Ford's security is good, maybe Sony should talk with them....
Goooooood, Phoenix would have been a terrible name. I couldn't care less about security, for all we know it may not even be fully developed. I don't count a manufacturer being secretive as a plus for me as a consumer.
post #44 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Beyond P1

Garage
I don't see how the design can be considered catastrophic. It pushes the envelope, beautifully combining original GT40 with modern LMP1. Incredible balance between detail and sweeping lines. It's a groundbreaking car.
post #45 of 811 Old 01-13-2015, 06:50 PM
InnerCircle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woppum View Post
Like the looks, the engine sounds like a toy
V6 = I'll pass thanks

Looks are brilliant, love it

McLaren 650 S - custom exhaust, modded turbos bench tune
Porsche Turbo S - RWD

64 not out forever

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.