McLaren Life banner

911 gt3 rs (991)

69K views 554 replies 60 participants last post by  isv 
#1 ·
Could this be it? It looks pretty accurate to me! :cool:

Come on McLaren, bring on your weapon. ;)

See less See more
#480 ·
but.....just think over the overs.. esp rhd UK cars...

which probably ends up being the main point of the car it seems and all the journo gushing. I'd love to know how the reception of the car would be if it were truly made for enthusiasts as claimed and built in an unlimited production run for a decent time frame.....

it seems however there will be a 991.2 gt3 with manual option from the R though. which is good news as at least there's a choice of transmission.

How much it makes sense for a car with an enormous array of computer aids to have a manual though is open to question.

#481 · (Edited)
Overs will be fine of course but 500 Bhp and associated lap times is really showing the flaws in the rear engine platform so one has to wonder whether it's really a drivers car at all. More like a marketing exercise and this side of journos I know very few people who genuinely prefer a manual these day.

We know of course that Stuttgart realises it has reached the limit of usefulness for rear engine

#518 ·
I posted this on my own car forum this morning and thought I'd share..... I live on the Isle of Man and use the mountain road which the TT motorbikes hit speeds of over 180mph. We have no speed limits :).

I went out in my RS yesterday and gave the mountain road a bit of a roasting, the car was fantastic but is definitely underpowered and the front is still loose at speed over 120mph which is worrying. Strangely I have nothing else to say apart from I love the 918 seats.

I then returned home, jumped in the LT and the difference is absolutely massive, the LT is like a surgical instrument cutting precisely where you place this unbelievable beast. Power, yes power, it has bucket fulls, this is "the" car to have, mark my words as the LT is the game changer and will put the RS and anything else to bed, yep it's that good. I stand by my statement that the 675LT is 8 to 10 seconds a lap quicker than a 12C at Spa.

My RS, mmmmm, I'm going to trailer it to Silverstone and weather permitting I'm going to give it some beans and try to fall in love but I have a lead-heart at the moment for it.

#519 ·
I posted this on my own car forum this morning and thought I'd share..... I live on the Isle of Man and use the mountain road which the TT motorbikes hit speeds of over 180mph. We have no speed limits :).

I went out in my RS yesterday and gave the mountain road a bit of a roasting, the car was fantastic but is definitely underpowered and the front is still loose at speed over 120mph which is worrying. Strangely I have nothing else to say apart from I love the 918 seats.

I then returned home, jumped in the LT and the difference is absolutely massive, the LT is like a surgical instrument cutting precisely where you place this unbelievable beast. Power, yes power, it has bucket fulls, this is "the" car to have, mark my words as the LT is the game changer and will put the RS and anything else to bed, yep it's that good. I stand by my statement that the 675LT is 8 to 10 seconds a lap quicker than a 12C at Spa.

My RS, mmmmm, I'm going to trailer it to Silverstone and weather permitting I'm going to give it some beans and try to fall in love but I have a lead-heart at the moment for it.I think i will just go and have a look at your forum Henry.....

#523 ·

So that gets it to the data logging laps I timed on the 675,wonder if there are another 2 to 3 seconds more to come from it in a full blown balls out lap??? :)
Nah. 4-5. Easy. :D

Think mr. Simmons got the RS to go as fast as it will go. Maybe a tenth through blancimont 2

#532 ·
Think mr. Simmons got the RS to go as fast as it will go. Maybe a tenth through blancimont 2
Think there is a bit of time, apparently conditions were pretty cold. i'd agree with Mcdc, from what I heard from a few people who were there with the RS in September, 2:38 should be just about doable. Which to be honest for a 500hp car is impressive. (And i have to admit per mcdc estimate a 12c could get under 2:40 but I'd probably rather not be in one with someone driving at sub 2:40 pace I have to admit!)

#533 ·
Think there is a bit of time, apparently conditions were pretty cold. i'd agree with Mcdc, from what I heard from a few people who were there with the RS in September, 2:38 should be just about doable. Which to be honest for a 500hp car is impressive. (And i have to admit per mcdc estimate a 12c could get under 2:40 but I'd probably rather not be in one with someone driving at sub 2:40 pace I have to admit!)
Certainly cold, maybe even a bit damp. In some ways think a little cold may help as the mpsc2 struggle with heat rather than cold.

Don't see a 675 in the 2.20 for sure. Don't think anyone is suggesting so ? I guess by extrapolation we could suspect someone suggest that

Sub 2.40 in 12 c would indeed be lively. But on trofeo with one of the fast fellows, not utterly impossible?

Anyway. Think the 675 unequivocally faster than RS, but then it should be. It's twice the price. Makes second hand 650s with trofeo very compelling from value perspective ? Particularly orange ones ! @Samelassar @Nudenut @roundincircles !

#545 · (Edited)
So I had my RS back on track yesterday at Dijon Prenois, which for those who don't know is a decently twisty track with a good deal of gradient... its a great fun track I have to say and in a lot of ways suits the Porsche very well...

It was a big day for me and the RS because I was of a mind to sell the car if it didn't work 'properly' this time round..

The good news is that I am keeping the car.. I increased the camber at the front and a little at the rear and we had the roll bars at medium on the front and hard on the rear..

finally managed to get the car to oversteer slightly and the balance is much more neutral than the awful factory understeer settings... car was really fun to drive and felt more like I remember the 997..

couple of points.. I am still not convinced by the electric steering.. it is still vague on track when the tyres are warm, but feels great on the road... (or at least doesn't feel different to hydraulic) .. the sharper turn in can also be felt on the road btw as a result of the camber..

The tyres also held up much better, I guess primarily as there aren't quite so many big stops at Dijon as there are at Barcelona... still the tyres will be past there best for the session by lap 3 or so... but I have now done two 'heavy' track days on this set of tyres and whilst they need replacing there's still something left for sure.. impressed the MPSC2 I have to say overall as a road and track tyre.

I did a 1.27.66 on the day... there was a well driven LT there as well which went to the hi 1.26's I believe.. the cars are a good match for each other through the twisties, although slightly different lines required to make the best of each cars characteristics... I suspect I would be quicker in the LT.. This was my first time at Dijon and also was 'coach-less', so had to work out the lines and so forth myself.. A good exercise in itself..

Also confirm the Porsche Track precision app is really a super piece of software, available for free (although you have to spec the sports chrono pack which isn't !) Also retrofitable for those who have GT3 or RS but didn't spec it at the time. Its further proof I hope of the death of the in car sat nav system... my phone got me there, got me home, recorded video sound and data whilst on track, and the PCM system had no idea where either the track or my home were.. !

Might now soften off the roll bars (to soft on the front and medium on the back), but keep the camber settings to try and find a bit more grip, now that I have found the car to have a nice balance.

Thanks to Mclaren Geneva for letting me run the porker at their McLaren day.. seemed to be a popular thing to do as there were two 991 RS and one GT3 there.. thankfully I think at least 4 LT.. one particularly sinister and well driven one in black and beautiful yellow one.. (sadly not jeap's..)

one other thing of note... I reckon the 650 was as quick as the RS round this track too.. okay driven by an experienced race driver, but shows the car still has a lot of pace despite the bar being raised with the LT.. 12c and 650 remain the performance bargains IMO.. 650 was also on Corsa so at a disadvantage to the MPSC2 shod RS..

#554 ·
Nice write up M.

I have been round the houses with GEO settings, think what I have now is about right for my skill level now, run with 1.9d of Camber front and rear. Rear bar set to firm, front to middle. Pressures set to 31 front 33 rear hot, takes a few dial downs...

I am aware of a few that have had problem's with the front arches, but these have had the front ride height lowered below standard. I was advised not to do this. While it might look a little high when standing, under load on track it soon pulls down on the front due to DF created via the wing outlets.......

My car is like fairground ride round the likes of Club corner, now flat out.....

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.