New Member From Staffordshire - McLaren Life
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By 55TC
  • 1 Post By mikey k

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

New Member From Staffordshire

Hi guys

I collected my first Mclaren yesterday so thought I would join up. I have a few other cars and my daily smokers are a G63 AMG and a C63 AMG.... I don't travel far to work!

I had an itch for a new car and this has been a hard choice! I set a budget of £100k for this car which soon went out of the window!! I test drove the following new/demo (specced up) cars... AMG GTS £120k, Audi R8 plus £140k, Carrera 4s £120k, 540c £140k, 570s £160k, Huracan £190k, used 458 £175k....

I have had great fun test driving all those cars!!!!

I have had a couple of "garage queen supercars" and this does not work for me, I like to have it out ready to use every day come rain or shine!

I ended up with a new high spec 540C which I got yesterday... I have no issues with this being the "entry Mclaren" it suited my needs the best out of all of those cars. I find it a great everyday car with a fantastic sense of occasion!

A quick review of each, don't shoot me this is only my opinion!! AMG GTS - Fast but not a supercar, R8 - Really really fast but big money for an Audi!, CARRERA 4S - Extremely boring, 570S - Not worth 20k more for me, HURACAN - R8 with Lambo Badge, FERRARI - Just not my taste!

Had a great 2hr road trip home in the car in convoy with a friend in his new F Type!
Attached Images

andy c, TTM0TION, C2 VXT and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 07:07 PM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner

Garage
Looks great! Love the stable of cars you got there! Welcome to the family and enjoy the car to the fullest! Love to hear you will be daily driving it... I will be doing the same with my 12C.

Current: 2012 McLaren MP4-12C - McLaren Orange / Carbon Black
Past: 2014 Audi R8 V10 / 2012 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante / 2011 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory / 2010 Audi R8 V10 / 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner / 2009 Audi R8 V8 / 2009 Nissan GTR / 2009 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG / 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Owner

Great looking car and a fantastic drive. Enjoy in good health!!

post #4 of 13 Old 01-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
Welcome from just over the "border" in Shropshire
There is a great UK owners club here
http://www.mclarenowners.org.uk/
andy c likes this.

VR 650S Spider 14k miles done in 14 months!
post #5 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 PM

Hey congrats on the purchase. I am also in Staffordshire and have been pondering on a Mclaren 540 / 570s purchse for a few months.

As this would be my first supercar I have been back and fourth through 3 main contenders, 458, Hurracan and 540 / 570.

Other than the reduced HP and slightly slower 0-60 times what are the main differences between 540 and 570?
post #6 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

It would be worth while trying to drive a 570s and 540c back to back.. my thoughts were the 570s felt more track biased as the suspension is slightly harder... to achieve the 0-60mph sprint in 3.1 or 3.5 you would need to launch control the car each time and trying to tell a 0.4 second difference in that sense is not going to happen... They are both bloody fast.. I used to ride super bikes so cars don't ever feel scary fast to me but both these cars did over and above the Ferrari and the lambo.. I love the power delivery from the turbos, there is lag and you've got to find the right gear for the punch but when you do it's fantastic. I chose the 540c as the power vs price difference was not there even in the slightest for me.. This is also a road car for me and I live 2 miles up a crappy bumpy lane so the softer suspension was better.. if for a moment I felt the 540c was underpowered I would have bought the 570 no questions.. I've owned and own supposedly faster/quicker and more powerful cars than the 540c and if I drive it in track mode on the road I am still shocked at how quick it feels.. I have a 911 turbo S and the 540C feels quicker if you punch it right.. The 20k saving just means I will be able to get another Supercar a little bit quicker !
post #7 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 08:09 PM

Cheers for the reply. I did also here the suspension felt a little softer.

Did you order new? Which dealer did you use and what was the lead time?

Also did you go for any extras?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Cheers for the reply. I did also here the suspension felt a little softer.

Did you order new? Which dealer did you use and what was the lead time?

Also did you go for any extras?
Talk to Ian Groves at McLaren Birmingham
He will get you in both for a test drive

post #9 of 13 Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM

Cheers Mikey, is that the Solihull one? I went for a drive over their today just for a peak through the window.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-29-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55TC View Post
It would be worth while trying to drive a 570s and 540c back to back.. my thoughts were the 570s felt more track biased as the suspension is slightly harder... to achieve the 0-60mph sprint in 3.1 or 3.5 you would need to launch control the car each time and trying to tell a 0.4 second difference in that sense is not going to happen... They are both bloody fast.. I used to ride super bikes so cars don't ever feel scary fast to me but both these cars did over and above the Ferrari and the lambo.. I love the power delivery from the turbos, there is lag and you've got to find the right gear for the punch but when you do it's fantastic. I chose the 540c as the power vs price difference was not there even in the slightest for me.. This is also a road car for me and I live 2 miles up a crappy bumpy lane so the softer suspension was better.. if for a moment I felt the 540c was underpowered I would have bought the 570 no questions.. I've owned and own supposedly faster/quicker and more powerful cars than the 540c and if I drive it in track mode on the road I am still shocked at how quick it feels.. I have a 911 turbo S and the 540C feels quicker if you punch it right.. The 20k saving just means I will be able to get another Supercar a little bit quicker !
Good to meet you today TC and talk cars etc

Folks, if you are in the UK join the Supercar Drivers Club it is very enjoyable.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I opened mine up today a bit and it feels very rapid indeed. If feels faster than my 458 and R8 V10.

Problem I find is, no stretch of road is clear enough to test it. It needs to be tracked sooner rather than later.

Taylor, buy a 540 you won't regret it.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Cheers Mikey, is that the Solihull one? I went for a drive over their today just for a peak through the window.
Yep Hockley Heath

post #12 of 13 Old 03-12-2017, 07:06 AM

Stunning looking car �� What colour is it? I have just ordered a 570S in Fire Black, through Ian G @ Solihull. I had ordered a 991.2 Turbo S, following a boyhood dream. However I was quickly seduced on a test drive by the 570S.

Only 172 Days to wait until delivery ��
post #13 of 13 Old 03-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Fantastic write up and congrats on the new car!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.