How to post pictures? - McLaren Life
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By hushypushy
  • 2 Post By SFBayArea

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

How to post pictures?

Hey guys, how do I post a picture in my thread or in reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-28-2016, 06:49 PM

Garage
Drag the picture file to the "Drag Files Here to Attach!" area just below the text box
Attached Images

post #3 of 12 Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM

^ You could do that, but the forum software resizes and re-encodes the file, which makes it look worse. Probably acceptable for random shots, but you might want to share your McLaren in high resolution. In that case, I would recommend Flickr. I use it for all my photo hosting; you can upload a photo in any resolution and it will resize it for you automatically.

I uploaded a 2048px width photo, but I usually like to share it at 1024px. Just one click on the photo's page and you get a share link, which you just paste in the reply box on any forum and you get a photo with an automatic hotlink (try clicking on it).

eMcL likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-29-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Wow, can't believe it is that easy. I mean that grayed out text probably threw me off as I was always going into the little "picture icon" on top of the text box and its been always asking me for URL.

EDIT: Ok, it seems that the photo I have is too big and forum software just kicks it out without attaching it.

Hushypushy, how exactly do you attach files from fliker? Should it be the same from Picasa or Google Drive?

Last edited by SFBayArea; 12-29-2016 at 06:30 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
EDIT: Ok, it seems that the photo I have is too big and forum software just kicks it out without attaching it.
Yeah, this is why I suggested Flickr--you upload your original pic and it resizes for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
Hushypushy, how exactly do you attach files from fliker? Should it be the same from Picasa or Google Drive?
Flickr is easy because it has one button for this; when you go to a photo's page, look at the three white icons at the bottom of the black space where the photo is. You should see a Star, Curved Arrow, and Underlined Arrow. Click the Curved Arrow, and in the popup menu, navigate to "BBCode". That's the link for forums.

I'm not familiar with Picasa or Google Drive, but if you get the direct hyperlink to any photo (a web address that ends in .jpg), you can post it on forums by using the [IMG] tag. It will look like this:

Code:
[IMG]*insert URL of photo here*[/IMG]
post #6 of 12 Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 PM
McLaren Fanatic

The easiest way to embed an image that already hosted online is to wrap the URL with vBulletin's Image Tags - [img] & [/img]

Here's the URL of my image:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8464/28937627701_0733754277_z.jpg

Here is that URL with the code applied. Ignore the spaces I've included to display the basic text instead of the image:

[img ]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8464/28937627701_0733754277_z.jpg[ /img]

Stripping out those spaces gives you the desired effect with an embedded image.

In the box where you compose your posts you'll also find this icon which when clicked on brings up a box asking for the URL. Pasting an image URL there will apply the [IMG] tags automagically when you click OK.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are hosting the file externally, don't embed an image that is super high resolution as it will not be scaled down for other forum users and will be difficult to view.

If anyone might be interested in the high res version of that photo, you can grab it here.

SFBayArea - You can also hit quote on my post to see how I used the [url] code to hyperlink that word to the larger image, or quote hushypushy's to see how the code is written when hyperlinking an embedded image to another image.

>8^)
ER

Andy Wallace on the McLaren F1 after setting the 240.1 MPH speed record at Ehra Lessien on March 31st 1998:

"I still say this is the best car ever built, ever, and probably will never be beaten."
post #7 of 12 Old 01-03-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys!
Lets see
post #8 of 12 Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 PM
McLaren Fanatic

Looks like you did the code part correctly but your URL is not pointing to a publicly available image. Some websites - and this may be true of Google albums - block remote hosting of images.

You'll also have better luck with an image URL that ends in .JPG or .PNG

>8^)
ER

Andy Wallace on the McLaren F1 after setting the 240.1 MPH speed record at Ehra Lessien on March 31st 1998:

"I still say this is the best car ever built, ever, and probably will never be beaten."
post #9 of 12 Old 01-03-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Nope, did not work.

Here is the url:

Last edited by SFBayArea; 01-03-2017 at 06:10 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-03-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Give up. All the URLs I have in my google photos are not JPG hence, all of the come up broken :-(.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-04-2017, 12:28 AM
McLaren Fanatic

Looks like you need to find a different hosting site for your images or just use the upload feature here to embed them.

>8^)
ER

post #12 of 12 Old 01-04-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Ok, just found simple re-sizer on the web. So I guess issue solved.

:-)
Attached Images

Peloton25 and eMcL like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.