Looking to possibly make a move - McLaren Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-29-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Looking to possibly make a move

Ladies and gents,
Hello!! I'll get right to it. Have been mostly a Porsche/BMW M guy. Am going thru my due diligence of seeking out the right MP4 for the right money. Would have never considered one had it not been for a 30 minute test drive that remains very vivid in my mind. I currently own a very drivers oriented GT4 that I built 5 months ago that I will part with. I am looking for any members that made the transition either good or bad and there comments, views etc. Any/all info would be much appreciated. Thanks Sparcodog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Owner

Long time lotus esprit owner here. Then I bought a Porsche C4S (naturally aspirated). But the C4S would not compare to your GT4 (turbo, I assume). My C4S seemed as quick as anything taking off, solid vehicle.

I traded the C4S for my MP4 (get use to saying 12C rather than MP4 ... everybody just drifted to '12C')

Just so different. Aesthetically, in the Porsche, people would say "nice car". In the 12C, magnify that by 100 X ! Mobs of people everywhere you will stop, pics, etc.

I like to cruise in the 12C at 105 mph @ 3000 rpm's -- reminds me how much more there is. I drove my Lotus to 170 mph, Porsche to 165 and 12C to 190 mph. The mid-engine cars seemed better handling.

Hopefully, a McLaren owner who has tracked a Porsche GT4 can help you here. Good luck!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-29-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Have owned multiple versions of 911s and both a Cayman GTS and now GT4, as well as many M3s and an M4 about 6 months ago. Have considered a 991 GT3 but as I said in my original post, the 12C seemed to be within reach and has my attention. My test drive was about 30 minutes in an 8K mile example. I was given the green light to drive as you wish without getting stupid. I have to admit I was taken back by how compliant the suspension was and my overall thought was I have to consider one of these. I was just in Vegas 2 weeks ago and rented a 17 R8 for 4 hours. No complaints with the car but very uninvolving, which keeps making me consider one of these. We will see
post #4 of 8 Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 AM

I just left a 991 c2s.
Is there a way to swing both? its nice to keep an NA car in the stable

stuff that would have kept me from leaving my 991.
1. full leather interior with contrast stitching
2. hard top convert

if i had these options i would have kept it and tried to convince the wife for 2 "sports cars" in the garage.
with Porsche cpo warranty or new warranty and huge dealer network, I wouldn't be too worried about the car. The McLaren will always have the question mark in my mind.

ill be sure to get into another p-car one day, maybe as a daily driver. But for now the McLaren puts a huge smile on my face and you only life once.

As for the R8, great car, but I don't think id spend the money vs a nice used 991tt or just save a little more and get a huracan.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-01-2016, 05:48 AM

You can make a move or bust a move. Sorry couldn't resist going old school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4FXhkm6Nw

Flat out 'til you see God, then brake!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-01-2016, 07:24 PM

Garage
I owned a 997 Carrera S that I sold and moved into a 2013 Ferrari California 30 which I sold and bought a 2013 12c spider. I have had it for 2 mons and love it and don't look back for one second. The handling, the looks and the attention you get since no one sees McLarens on the road are all great. Most important though is you can buy a $ 300K+ super car at a great price point today. Find the right car that has been approved at a dealer with warranty left and enjoy the experience.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-02-2016, 03:04 AM
CPB

Have been a Porsche guy for a long time. Don't own one currently, but will again soon. Regardless, the 570 GT is a much different drive so far. Smaller inside, a bit more cramped. Electronics are a bit fiddly. But it is a supercar vs. an incredibly competent sports car like the Porsche. The 570 GT is proving to be just what people have said. Very comfortable, very fast and usable. Great fun so far.

Definitely worth trying a McLaren on for size.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-02-2016, 03:26 AM
Owner

Garage
TONS of info on here with regards to what your looking for. The search button is your friend.

If your slightly interested in getting a Maca (which you obviously are), a test drive of a 650S will sell you.

Good luck!

Current - 2009 Ferrari Scuderia / 2014 Jeep Rubicon Ultimate Hard Rock / 2015 Italkart with IAME MY09

Past -
2015 650S
1996 Corvette Grand Sport
2008 Scuderia
2015 C63 AMG 507 Coupe
2006 Gallardo SE
2004 Challenge Stradale
2002 Z06 (712rwhp)
2003 Z06 (455rwhp)
2004 Ram SRT-10 x 2
2005 Ram SRT-10 CE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.