Formula 1 2017 - Page 4 - McLaren Life
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 59 Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
I may be bitterly dissapointed as early as Melbourne but I must say that I am very excited for the coming season to start. This is simply down to the new formula, like it or not, there will be many unknowns and that at least calls for some excitement. At least from me. Interested to see what the new rumored Ferrari Livery will be as well as if Mclaren has anything better than Sensodyne to put on the car
The new cars are wider-have wide tires. And have a larger much lower rear wing. Some of the high speed "corners" will now be taken without throttle lift relying on the wider tires and increased aero downforce. Hopefully an interesting season!
TTM0TION likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 PM

Formula 1 , with the obvious blessing of the FIA has had major mind farts from time to time but they manage to get through them and we keep watching. I remember the economy-run races we had to endure during part of the era when Keke Rosberg and Alain Prost were teammates at McLaren. Rosberg would say screw it and actually try to race to the end and either ran out of gas or had to slow down so much he fell back through the field. The "Professor" on the other hand would drive with a close eye on the fuel computer and took several wins by being disciplined. Fortunately that nonsense went away. We also usually had more than one tire manufacturer to choose from, although most teams had contracts with a single brand. After practice tire engineers would collect the clag in corners to analyze it to improve their own product. As a person educated as an engineer, it leaves me scratching my head that Michelin engineers tires to FAIL; WTF! I think it was during his first championship year that Jim Clark used one set of Dunlop tires for most of his 7 wins that year. Of course they were hard as rocks to start with, but what do you think they were like after a few heat cycles in races? Formula 1 could be interesting again with a few changes. 1) have fewer races; if a country can come up with Bernie's ransom but the average citizen travels via bicycle or water buffalo, what's the point. 2) Fire Herman Tilke with his left-right, left-right no place to pass tracks and go back to proper tracks in France, Germany, Holland, England, and maybe South Africa. Lastly, allow teams in the lower half of the grid to test during the mid-season break to even the field. I guess I'm done, I'll keep watching F-1 and wonder what if.
M8F Mechanic likes this.
post #48 of 59 Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 AM
InnerCircle

Lets hope the new engine layout helps make the Honda engine competitive this year.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ho...ressor-864024/
eMcL likes this.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
post #49 of 59 Old 01-10-2017, 05:45 PM

post #50 of 59 Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Lets hope the new engine layout helps make the Honda engine competitive this year.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ho...ressor-864024/
I'd like to think so but doesn't this put them back on path Mercedes were a few years ago? Something tells me this year will be another steep learning curve.
post #51 of 59 Old 01-16-2017, 03:56 PM

Mark 24th Feb in your diaries gents as the MP4-32 will be revealed. Same day as Fezza.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...unch-date.html
Dash likes this.
post #52 of 59 Old 01-17-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

post #53 of 59 Old 01-17-2017, 04:10 AM
Owner

Man, I'm itching to see these cars and where the season will go. I'm thinking it will be much more competitive than the the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #54 of 59 Old 01-17-2017, 07:45 AM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
I don't think that will come as a surprise to anyone, just waiting for Williams to announce Massa's return now.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
post #55 of 59 Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't think that will come as a surprise to anyone, just waiting for Williams to announce Massa's return now.
Yes the Massa announcement was also confirmed yesterday:--

"Williams needed to secure an experienced replacement for Valtteri Bottas having provisionally allowed the Finn to join Mercedes, and managed to convince Massa to reverse his decision to retire in order to return to the team. The two moves were confirmed on Monday with Massa saying Williams was the only team he would have continued racing in F1 for, and the 35-year-old has confirmed his deal is for one year." By Chris Medland
Neil likes this.
post #56 of 59 Old 01-17-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

"Honda plans to supply a second Formula One team in 2018. The logical partner is Sauber.?The Swiss team has not extended the contract with Ferrari."
Source : Auto Motor Sport

This should be good for McLaren Honda
John Galt likes this.
post #57 of 59 Old 01-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Owner
Owner

Ron's gone.

Bring back the orange.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-livery-revamp
snowhorn and Neil like this.
post #58 of 59 Old 01-20-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Willem Toet has interesting seminar on aero developments:-

Last edited by eMcL; 01-20-2017 at 10:53 PM.
post #59 of 59 Old Today, 07:34 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.