McLaren Life banner

Formula One 2016

53K views 592 replies 48 participants last post by  fastfwd 
#1 ·
I figured we could use a thread for just general Formula1 posts that do not have to be McLaren specific.

So to start off, Barcelona Testing!!!

Sounds like Ferrari and MB doing well. McLaren is running which is a positive sign lol.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ve...1-test-674915/

#185 ·
You guys are wrong, that was at least 50% Hamilton's fault. He could judge the closing speed much better than Nico. Slight lift and he probably could have even done him on the outside under braking. Plus 65 more laps to figure out a better place to pass, not to mention with zero risk using DRS. Poor judgement.

Max is the real deal but he was gifted the win today by odd pit strategy not to mention both Mercs out.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

#187 ·
There's no such thing as 50/50 blame. You have to pass when the opportunity presents itself as there's no guarantee you'll have another opportunity later on in the race. The pace Hamilton had in turn 3 was blistering. Nico should've taken his medicine and fought back the right way.

I'm just glad he got collected by Hamilton and didn't get away with a victory and another DNF by Lewis. That would have been totally unjust. The result today wasn't ideal but no real harm done in the points race. Off the track though and as far as the team relationship goes, there was significant damage done today

#255 ·
there it is in black and white.. rules 27.6 and 27.7 and 27.8

27.6 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

27.7 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’.

27.8 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted

#257 ·
27.7 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.

For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’.

Thanks, Mikey.

Interestingly, a strict pedantic reading of those 3 articles would suggest that Rosberg violated none of them.

- not more than one change of direction,

- he was moving away from the racing line,

- he was not on a straight,

- one cannot know whether his action was deliberate, or he was distracted by his engine mode problem.

The only thing that could be argued is that his manoeuvre was liable to hinder another driver although, on that basis, in every race they'd have to penalise the entire field except possibly the Manors.

Just saying....

;)

Thanks @Patricko and @Mikeyb.

NB, I think that's a more selective reading of the rule rather then pedantic ;) I think the video and below still shows that they were indeed and on a straight and for the avoidance of doubt, Lewis's entire front wing and nearly all of his front wheel was alongside Nico's rear wheel

#188 ·
p.s. I hope Lewis is pissed enough to sign with Ferrari. We have to see him and Vettel in the same car before their careers are done.
I thought the same.

I have been telling everyone I know that Lewis is probably in the Ferrari garage signing his 2018 contract.

Lewis needs to leave MB and he may as well go to Ferrari or even better would be back to McLaren.

#192 ·
not true either.. he apologised to the team which they always do and then laid his case about closure speeds and racing lines.. clearly they had both been told to say they accept the stewards decision so as not to precipitate the matter in the media, which is totally sensible IMO

we have to remember the racing line at that part of the track is the left side of the track and lewis went off on the right side of the track

#195 ·
This video is an amazing analysis of what happened.

Nico made a mistake and was in the wrong power mode.

Nico was distracted while trying to correct his mistake.

Lewis knew Nico was in the wrong mode and did what Senna would have done, if you see a gap you take it.

Nico closed the barn door after the horse had bolted.

Nico is very lucky that he was not penalized and it is 100% his fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STJRK71xWow

#196 ·
I'm a Lewis fan.. but I see it both ways.

1) Nico was aggressively over blocking - especially when he was down on power. He reacted poorly, knowing he made a mistake with the engine modes and just decided to shut down Lewis to cover his mistake. In this sense, I side with Lewis.

2) I have a hard enough time seeing other cars in my rear view on track.. i can't imagine how easy it is for Nico to see Lewis and make the super fine moves to avoid closign him too quick.

With that said, I feel like fault is 70% Nico, 30% Lewis.. and I think Lewis would have gotten him and I think Nico knows that - so he shut it down after he made a mistake.

#197 ·
Regarding the crash, herewith the opinion of a 3x World Driving Champion who happens also to be Vice-chairman of the Mercedes Benz Formula One team:

“Stupid,” Lauda said. “It’s very simple for me. It was a miscalculation in Lewis’s head. I blame him more than Nico. For the team and for Mercedes it is unacceptable. Lewis was too aggressive to pass him and why should Nico give him room? He was in the lead. It is completely unnecessary and for me the disaster is that all Mercedes are out after two corners.”

#211 ·
One of the most astute comments I think was Mr. Kravitz on sky TV.. he suggested that if Toto Wolff came out and said 'these things happen', the media firestorm would be over very quickly...

think this is entirely why the no fault was issued, as the whole thing will disappear very quickly (well, more quickly anyway... )

I guess ultimately no one was hurt thankfully and the drivers championship is more interesting as a result (a Mercedes not in 2nd.. my god. !)

#217 ·
One of the most astute comments I think was Mr. Kravitz on sky TV.. he suggested that if Toto Wolff came out and said 'these things happen', the media firestorm would be over very quickly...
Would that make it more likely to happen again? Would the drivers take that to be open season?

Did you see what Mario had to say about it?

https://twitter.com/MarioAndretti/status/731829543418384384

Mario Andretti ‏@MarioAndretti 23h23 hours ago
Feel bad for both @LewisHamilton & @nico_rosberg because this has to be the worse day of their careers #SpanishGP
165 retweets 242 likes

#212 ·
Lewis seems to be in a period where he can't get a break. Another pole lap (has put it on pole every opportunity he has had this year) and this time it was a confidence-sapping lap as far as Nico must have been concerned. But in Spain, it seems the long run to the first corner was enough to give Nico, who got a similar start to Lewis, a slipstream pass. Fair play to Nico, took his chance.

Then clearly made a mistake, took a few seconds to look at his wheel and adjust, then realised Lewis would be coming. I can see why the stewards said 'racing incident' but think if the boot was on the other foot Nico would feel that Lewis had been a bit unsporting by closing the door completely when the game was clearly up. It happened very quickly and was probably because Nico is using so much of his mental capacity to fight Lewis that he was never going to yield (as the season wears on Nico will put more pressure on himself I believe). But he should have. It was the right thing to do since he already knew he had made the mistake.

#221 ·
The reason I see the engine mode as irrelevant is because it was simply one version of a mistake, by Rosberg.

In F1 there are countless situations where the driver in front makes a mistake - locking brakes or oversteer on exit for example - and yet continues to fight for his position with tenacity. A mistake does not mean he must relinquish his position.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

#225 ·
I am quite biased, but it was all Rosberg. Hamilton was doing his job. Rosberg slammed the door absolutely shut when Hamilton was already walking through.

It's a racing incident, but the but-for cause was Rosberg's recklessly closing the door. Whether or not he was entitled to do it.

Lewis wins on skill, Nico on tactics. At some point Nico made the decision that he was going to use every trick in the playbook to keep Lewis out. He has a history of dirty behavior and this is yet another example.

#244 · (Edited)
I quite like that these type of debates and discussions are much more civil than 918 vs P1 track times. I've posted a poll in the lounge, go cast your vote

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/52393-who-blame.html

JG always an observer to say something yet never a participant to the action itself.

I guess you never have raced before. These guys take their lumps and move on. What's that famous line "it's over...
Any chance Nico was busy just finishing his adjustments and just didn't have time to see Lewis?

I never get the opportunity to post stuff like this and can't pass on this one. I'll beat BC to the punch!:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DFya4P2A18

#247 ·
You might enjoy this anecdote as it relates to car racing and fighter pilots.

I used to race at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, a fairly challenging circuit that goes around a mountain. It is in a forest and has a lot of blind crests and blind bends, some high speed sections as well.

On the day before each race, the organisers offer a practice session. In addition to normal practising and testing, you are allowed to put a passenger seat in your racing car and take around sponsors or friends at pretty much racing speed.

A guy on our team was a top pro, been racing since he was a boy, won Le Mans and Sebring outright, that sort of thing. Racing was his life. Knowing that I was American, at one of these practice afternoons he introduced me to a visiting pal of his who was also an American.

I chatted with the American, asked him what he did. Currently he was working as a trauma surgeon at a hospital in Kansas City. Before he went to med school, he said, he had been a fighter pilot, then for several years a flight instructor at the "Top Gun" school.

I asked him how he knew the pro driver. He said that he had been stationed at the Nato air base near Bitburg (about 50 miles from the 'Ring). When there, he had lived in the same apartment building where the pro had grown up with his family. He had been good friends with the pro for 20 years.

I then said something like, "Being friends with 'X' all these years, you must have been to loads of race tracks with him. How do you like the Nordschleife?"

He replied, "Well, actually, I have never been in a racing car before, and never been on a race track."

I was surprised and said, "Well, this is the best track there is. Would you like to come out with me in our car?"

He thought for a moment and said, "Sure, why not? Let's do it!"

As we got him a suit and helmet, I must admit that I was thinking, "This guy was a Top Gun fighter pilot, so he's had physical experiences that would dwarf what he'll get in the car. Now his job is dealing with road crash victims and gang-war casualties. He must have big balls and a cast-iron stomach. I myself wouldn't dare to try the things that to him are normal. I hope he won't fall asleep while I'm driving him around!"

On these passenger laps in practice, you drive at maybe 95% of your normal pace, partly because the car is heavier but mostly because, no matter what, you need to make sure that your passenger stays safe.

I took this fellow around for either one or two laps (it's a long lap; the circuit includes the GP section as well as the Nordschleife on its own), at roughly 95% of my own (limited) ability. Again, I worried that the experience would be so underwhelming that this fellow would wonder what all the Nurburgring fuss was about and think I must be a wimp.

After I'd completed the lap, I brought the car into the box, shut off the engine. This fellow took off his helmet. I said to him, "Well, that was it. I hope it wasn't too boring for you."

Then I noticed that he seemed to be rather out of breath. After a moment he replied, "Thank you. I am really glad that I did that, but I guarantee you that I'll never go out in a racing car again. That scared the hell out of me!"

:laugh:

#256 ·
Thanks, Mikey.

Interestingly, a strict pedantic reading of those 3 articles would suggest that Rosberg violated none of them.

- not more than one change of direction,
- he was moving away from the racing line,
- he was not on a straight,
- one cannot know whether his action was deliberate, or he was distracted by his engine mode problem.

The only thing that could be argued is that his manoeuvre was liable to hinder another driver although, on that basis, in every race they'd have to penalise the entire field except possibly the Manors.

Just saying....

;)

#269 ·
Lots of outlets are reporting that Lewis may miss the Monaco GP this weekend due to some kind of nightclub incident involving stolen pictures. When I first read it, I thought it was preposterous but it now seems to be gaining traction. I hope, whatever has gone on, it doesn't keep Lewis out of the race. Pascal Wehrlein was the driver testing the Merc last week in Monaco and could get the drive if Lewis is out.

#271 · (Edited)
Oh wow I haven't heard anything in regards to that! Would be crazy if it's true. It would be unfortunate if he has a huge fall from grace due to off the track behavior.

EDIT: I checked a few different outlets and don't see anything on this, where are you seeing it?

#273 ·
Mercedes have denied that he will not race.
Hamilton was not up for testing last week at Barcelona. Nonetheless he found the strength to make it to Cannes for some celebrity bullshit.
Unfortunately, for some time now he has been able to rely purely on his exceptional talent to bring him success. In the last year, however, we have seen how drivers who are more dedicated and focused than he have been able to take advantage of his lack of focus and come out ahead of him.
Hamilton has often said that his idol was Ayrton Senna. Say what one will about Senna, there was never any doubt about his dedication to his job. It would be a pity if LH were to squander his natural gift.

#276 ·
Of course McLaren has the technical expertise to win.......but then there's Honda. Interesting to see if Ferrari, Red Bull, or McLaren take the crown first. Did I forget anyone? Renault

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.