P14 unveiling in NYC who's going? - Page 8 - McLaren Life
 155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #106 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
OK so a little anonymous license taken but here are my observations in no particular order....

1 - Design is clearly Next Gen/Digital/3.0 and a great leap from the now Analog 650/675 language.
2 - Nod to F1 and core aerodynamics apparent
3 - Performance numbers staggering
4 - Quality in cabin materials and detail groundbreaking for sector
5 - Visual carbon pillars internally & glass see through C pillars absolutely awesome
6 - Brake calipers (front) ironically seem smaller & non symmetrical top to bottom. Were highlighted as being more powerful while being lighter so I guess explains the visual but clearly different to what's been seen before
7 - Aero socket headlights will be polarizing and create visual impact (especially side) depending on a dark or light spec
8 - Yes - Luxury spec sees bespoke luggage storage shelf behind seats (straps seen)
9 - ICE/IRIS upgrade sees Garage Door Opener App!!

McLaren has clearly moved the chains on this one and as others have pointed out will have the competitors scratching their heads and wondering what to do next.

Feel free to buy a competitor's car but I'm buying the future.
I can't wait to take delivery of one of the first 400. I'm down for a Sport spec.
Thank you for actually sharing useful information vs the McLaren people were nice and it was great to meet everyone.

Good info and well done.
Peloton25 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 PM

Garage
Are all you guys with deposits down paying MSRP for these cars?

I'm wondering if so, how soon we can start to see the demand ease up and see some more flexible pricing. How long did it take for the 650S to start discounting? Dealers were taking off 20k to 50k towards end of production (and now alot more to make room for the 720). I'm guessing 720S launch cars and probably first 6 months or so of spec'd cars dealers are going to try and hold MSRP with demand so high?

Wonder what best strategy is in ordering one now. I want my own spec so probably pays to wait because that won't get built and delivered until probably fall and then I can't drive anyway here in Northeast.

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS UltraViolet
2015 Ferrari 458 Spider Rosso Corsa
2013 BMW M5 Alpine White Individual
2012 BMW X5M Melbourne Red
a few others....
post #108 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 02:32 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
We had some involvement. More on that after Geneva.
Sweet... I seem to recall a video you posted a while back with a couple of McLaren guys using this new setup to configure a 570S. The gamer geek in me was mightily impressed.. looking forward to the details!

post #109 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

I really believe the car will easily win car Of the year.
str8blst likes this.
post #110 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 PM

So, Guys, what about the retracting dashboard?

1. Is this there?
2. Does this only work on Race Mode?
Or
Can you retract and expand with a button on demand?
post #111 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic_Driver View Post
Are all you guys with deposits down paying MSRP for these cars?

I'm wondering if so, how soon we can start to see the demand ease up and see some more flexible pricing. How long did it take for the 650S to start discounting? Dealers were taking off 20k to 50k towards end of production (and now alot more to make room for the 720). I'm guessing 720S launch cars and probably first 6 months or so of spec'd cars dealers are going to try and hold MSRP with demand so high?

Wonder what best strategy is in ordering one now. I want my own spec so probably pays to wait because that won't get built and delivered until probably fall and then I can't drive anyway here in Northeast.
I don't see dealers discounting these anytime soon, especially if you want to spec your own. I wouldn't expect to ever get a meaningful discount on a new car that you spec. If you don't want to pay MSRP, you'll have to wait for some used ones to come in.
post #112 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I don't see dealers discounting these anytime soon, especially if you want to spec your own. I wouldn't expect to ever get a meaningful discount on a new car that you spec. If you don't want to pay MSRP, you'll have to wait for some used ones to come in.
Interesting. Were spec'd 650's always sold at MSRP in the last year of the production run? I know cars on the showroom floors were at good deal prices but never got much info on spec'ing one of these recently and what pricing looked like. Also, if this is the case don't only have to wait for used ones but any dealer spec'd cars on showroom floor would eventually discount once supply rises and satisfies initial demand for the car.

a few others....
post #113 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisc View Post
So, Guys, what about the retracting dashboard?

1. Is this there?
2. Does this only work on Race Mode?
Or
Can you retract and expand with a button on demand?
Just press button on right of wheel. SIMPLES !
sisc likes this.
post #114 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Owner

Quote:
Interesting. Were spec'd 650's always sold at MSRP in the last year of the production run? I know cars on the showroom floors were at good deal prices but never got much info on spec'ing one of these recently and what pricing looked like. Also, if this is the case don't only have to wait for used ones but any dealer spec'd cars on showroom floor would eventually discount once supply rises and satisfies initial demand for the car.
I'm sure there were some that got deals but it's a big world and there are a lot of different markets, so it's hard to say what someone got on one side of the world can be expected where you are. The 650S also was in its last year as a model, so if some got a good deal on a newly spec'd car, good for them but I wouldn't imagine it was much, if any at all. I also wouldn't expect ANY discount whatsoever on a brand new model at least for a couple years. Now, dealer demos or dealer spec'd cars, are a different story I bet they may give a little bit of a deal but again, I wouldn't expect that for quite some time.
post #115 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:51 PM

I saw the car last night and was absolutely blown away by everything about it. There was not a single angle that the car does not look good from. Interior is a huge leap forward and I like it even better than a P1 interior. I am definitely a huge fan of this car! Mclaren did a great job on this one....

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC
post #116 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Could you reasonably expect to get a dealer spec car for less than MSRP if that car has sat around for a while? Certainly. Will there likely be some deals 12 to 18 months after launch? Probably. Should the P14 depreciation curve be directly equated to what we saw with the 12c and 650s? Probably not. McLaren have, no doubt, learned a thing or two since P11. And really, the McLaren of right now is very different than the McLaren of just a few years ago.

If you want to order one to your spec, and I'd encourage you to, you should expect to pay MSRP.

-Jamie.
Peloton25 likes this.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac

Last edited by nh4; 02-17-2017 at 04:57 PM.
post #117 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Woking preview attendance required a NDA, and a stiff one, I might add.
Standard exceptions to almost all NDAs include, "disclosures by other 3rd parties" so as leaks come by the press/public, you are thereafter free to talk about those topics as long as you were not the source of the leak yourself.

post #118 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 05:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh4 View Post
Could you reasonably expect to get a dealer spec car for less than MSRP if that car has sat around for a while? Certainly. Will there likely be some deals 12 to 18 months after launch? Probably. Should the P14 depreciation curve be directly equated to what we saw with the 12c and 650s? Probably not. McLaren have, no doubt, learned a thing or two since P11. And really, the McLaren of right now is very different than the McLaren of just a few years ago.

If you want to order one to your spec, and I'd encourage you to, you should expect to pay MSRP.

-Jamie.
So at the very least if I'm paying MSRP for my spec I don't have to wonder if others were paying under.

I agree with your assessment that the depreciation curve on this car won't be what the 12C/650S saw. This 720S is too good and I think the demand will be heavier than production for a bit longer than those cars saw.
str8blst likes this.

a few others....
post #119 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Owner

Garage
Just got back from the viewing. The 720S is very impressive in person. I am very excited to pick it up! I don't know if I should feel good or bad about Volcano Orange becoming a heritage color! It's going to be tough to pick a new color! I think anyone who is worried about the design from the spy shots will feel better when they release the real pictures.
snb likes this.

2016 570S Coupe
post #120 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 PM
snb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdqt458 View Post
Just press button on right of wheel. SIMPLES !
Always liked the fact that McLaren never had buttons on the steering wheel (except the P1) but I guess it was inevitable that they do. I'm sure they'll do a better job than Ferrari's mess of a steering wheel.
Kutsuki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.