P14 unveiling in NYC who's going? - Page 7 - McLaren Life
 155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

I went to the event in NYC this morning and thought they did a great job. They had a bunch of folks, including the principal designer, the CFO of the company, the head of product development and Bruno Senna, there to answer any questions about the car you cared to ask. They also let people get inside the car and play with the gadgetry as much as you could without starting the car (which turned out to be quite a lot actually). I learned more about the car than I knew previously and, as I suspected all along, there are some really cool subtle things that will surprise and delight people when they are revealed at Geneva and beyond. My dealer was there and I was able to confirm my launch edition specification so it was a very productive day for me personally. My plan is to purchase my dealer's first launch car then trade it back for a custom ordered car, with a little MSO stuff, later in the year.

Well done McLaren!
Patricko, nh4, bdl99 and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 AM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Jamie - I've known you're a great guy since I met you. I guess you met some others yesterday who now rknow the same.

I think you are mad the way you obsessed over your specs - but you ended up with a really great spec. So I guess it was worth it.

Have you started working on your 720S spec yet?
Madly obsessed. Wha... What? Me? You say that like I e-mail myself ideas for my ideal sports series LT spec or something... Oh... wait...

Do I have a 720 spec in mind? Not yet. I'm sure I'll do my due diligence once the configurator is on-line though! That said, I think the dealers will have the VR one that was at the previews. It will be worth making a trip just to play around with it.

-Jamie.
Neil likes this.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac
post #93 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 02:56 AM

Move from Analog to Digital

OK so a little anonymous license taken but here are my observations in no particular order....

1 - Design is clearly Next Gen/Digital/3.0 and a great leap from the now Analog 650/675 language.
2 - Nod to F1 and core aerodynamics apparent
3 - Performance numbers staggering
4 - Quality in cabin materials and detail groundbreaking for sector
5 - Visual carbon pillars internally & glass see through C pillars absolutely awesome
6 - Brake calipers (front) ironically seem smaller & non symmetrical top to bottom. Were highlighted as being more powerful while being lighter so I guess explains the visual but clearly different to what's been seen before
7 - Aero socket headlights will be polarizing and create visual impact (especially side) depending on a dark or light spec
8 - Yes - Luxury spec sees bespoke luggage storage shelf behind seats (straps seen)
9 - ICE/IRIS upgrade sees Garage Door Opener App!!

McLaren has clearly moved the chains on this one and as others have pointed out will have the competitors scratching their heads and wondering what to do next.

Feel free to buy a competitor's car but I'm buying the future.
I can't wait to take delivery of one of the first 400. I'm down for a Sport spec.

post #94 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemy View Post
Sharing is caring -
I will do my best. In short, sex on wheels. A hypercar for supercar money. The car is definitely a game changer. Mclaren put on an amazing showing. First off Tony Joseph, Mclaren North America CEO was there and was treating everyone like they were old friends. Bruno Senna was there, and a bunch of designers, engineers and other staff members from Woking. Everyone treated us like family and friends. You could tell that the creators of the 720s really put their heart in soul into this car.

I noticed everyone from Mclaren were wearing Mclaren lapel pins on their suits. I asked Tony Joseph where I can get one, he took his off and gave it to me. It was a cool moment cause I gave him my lapel pin from David August and now we are like blood brothers. 8-)

The car is spectacular. No one could really explain it and give it the justice it deserves. It really needs the presentation that Mclaren put on with all the different speakers to get to know the car. Back up by some sweet music, it was an epic event.

The car is unrivaled. The aerodynamics, the front end is so damn sexy. The rear difusser is amazing. The side profile makes it seem like the car is always hauling ass. The lights were an area of concern of mine after seeing that ugly leaked photo that I think really shocked some of us. Once you get up close, and you see the lights and the way they are designed to work, make them a true work of beauty. I am so excited about the car. I've had a deposit on one, I told them as soon as I get back, I am sending them the 2nd check. I don't care if it is early, I want my money there and waiting. I can't imagine this being a car that doesn't take the world by storm.

All I kept thinking about was, "I wish I could see the faces at Lamborghini and Ferrari when they see this car." This car is a game changer. It really showed me that it is only a matter of time before Mclaren is recognized by everyone as the undisputed king.
Peloton25, Mark ANTAR, DLC and 4 others like this.
post #95 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
Oh one more thing I will confirm. The droopy butt in the spy photos is not accurate. There is no droopy butt.
I like big butts and I cannot lie.
ZombiePhysicist and hesperus like this.
post #96 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:05 AM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodini View Post
I will do my best. In short, sex on wheels. A hypercar for supercar money. The car is definitely a game changer. Mclaren put on an amazing showing. First off Tony Joseph, Mclaren North America CEO was there and was treating everyone like they were old friends. Bruno Senna was there, and a bunch of designers, engineers and other staff members from Woking. Everyone treated us like family and friends. You could tell that the creators of the 720s really put their heart in soul into this car.

I noticed everyone from Mclaren were wearing Mclaren lapel pins on their suits. I asked Tony Joseph where I can get one, he took his off and gave it to me. It was a cool moment cause I gave him my lapel pin from David August and now we are like blood brothers. 8-)

The car is spectacular. No one could really explain it and give it the justice it deserves. It really needs the presentation that Mclaren put on with all the different speakers to get to know the car. Back up by some sweet music, it was an epic event.

The car is unrivaled. The aerodynamics, the front end is so damn sexy. The rear difusser is amazing. The side profile makes it seem like the car is always hauling ass. The lights were an area of concern of mine after seeing that ugly leaked photo that I think really shocked some of us. Once you get up close, and you see the lights and the way they are designed to work, make them a true work of beauty. I am so excited about the car. I've had a deposit on one, I told them as soon as I get back, I am sending them the 2nd check. I don't care if it is early, I want my money there and waiting. I can't imagine this being a car that doesn't take the world by storm.

All I kept thinking about was, "I wish I could see the faces at Lamborghini and Ferrari when they see this car." This car is a game changer. It really showed me that it is only a matter of time before Mclaren is recognized by everyone as the undisputed king.
I was also there this evening and couldn't have described it any better than you, Hoodini. Well, done!!!
Hoodini likes this.
post #97 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenU View Post
I was also there this evening and couldn't have described it any better than you, Hoodini. Well, done!!!
Only negative about the trip was that I didn't get to meet any of the fine lads from the forum. Hopefully soon.

Every time I try to think about the car I am just blown away at how special it is. I just keep thinking sex on wheels. Lol
post #98 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:18 AM

First off I want to say thanks to NH4 for organizing the gathering prior to the 4PM showing yesterday. It was a pleasure to meet some of you in person. Everyone seemed a genuine Gear head and knew what they were talking about (for context I have allot of Lambo friends) lol

The event I thought was put on very well. Everyone who spoke was overflowing with excitement about the car which just magnified my own excitement and I think everyone else's eagerness for the reveal.

Im staying quiet right now because they asked nicely :P, Im with Zombie had there actually been an NDA i would be frustrated right now and trying to find a loophole/ frantically drawing everything I touched or viewed.

I'm a huge form follows function nerd to the point of annoyance. That being said what I saw yesterday well done. I thought the new styling pushes the boundaries of all the things we associate with the modern supercar. Admittedly the whole time I was eying the 720 and imagining how my GT would look next to it. Would anyone be able to tell if they were from the same manufacture? I think when you really start dissecting the body you start to find family resemblance here and there. small things that are overlooked at a first glance. Job well done McLaren!

The specs haha Seriously who can make the Adolf hitler subtitle youtube video lolol It would be hilarious. Ol Adolf buys the Ferrari "SuperFast" and then his advisers have to explain the 720 am I the only one who thinks this would be hilarious?

Why yes....It would look great next to the GT!
DLC, nh4 and ZombiePhysicist like this.

"Ut pallens nusquam"
post #99 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 04:36 AM
ruf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
One of the coolest things was the VR setup and configurator. If I'm not mistaken, MarkNC's shop was behind this? If so, bravo! Sticking my head into the engine was pretty mind warping. All those drinks beforehand probably weren't the best idea though...
This is the best thing I've heard in a while! Back in 2014, I remember bringing a PC and VR headset to my dealer, convincing them to let me show MTC, and finally MSO. I had commissioned a virtual previsualization of my ridiculously brown 650S using assets off the internet. Everyone was blown away by it, and it really gave me peace of mind that my interior spec wouldn't look terrible. I'm so excited that this is becoming an official thing, and I'm sure that this version is light years ahead! As awesome as the P14 is, I really just want to check out the VR configurator, but I'm not cool enough to warrant a preview invite. Rightly so, since I'm not in the market right now.

Last edited by ruf; 02-17-2017 at 05:35 AM.
post #100 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
It's funny storm. They didn't make us sign or do any NDAs. They just asked really nicely. What's funny is, that's all they had to do, at least for me. So no one us under any kind of legal obligation, but for me, just by asking nicely, they got the same effect, perhaps better. If it were a real NDA, I'd be so annoyed I'd likely be looking for loopholes.

Anyway, no one here should really sweat it, the wait won't be too long now...
Woking preview attendance required a NDA, and a stiff one, I might add.
post #101 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 AM

placing an order. My sales guy calling me next week. I will seek to custom order vs taking one of the 400 launch cars. Want more choices. My 570s is fully loaded and my 12c was a launch car and I always felt it was missing something. So this time, I will pick what I want. So, I prob wont get delivery until mid 2018 I would think at the earliest!
nh4 likes this.

Current stable:
2016 McLaren 570s
2016 Range Rover (Fuji white, black roof)
2016 Porsche Panamera 4S
Others

Past cars
'12 MP4-12C Stealth Package - gone but will be missed
Endless Porsche 911s, Ferraris etc....
post #102 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Sort of
One of the coolest things was the VR setup and configurator. If I'm not mistaken, MarkNC's shop was behind this? If so, bravo! Sticking my head into the engine was pretty mind warping. All those drinks beforehand probably weren't the best idea though...
We had some involvement. More on that after Geneva.
Peloton25, Mikeyb, DLC and 2 others like this.
post #103 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Send us the files, Mark?
post #104 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 PM

Anyone care to explain the glass C-Pillar?

Glad to see my vision was correct in spotting those luggage straps in the leaks

This car is going to offer it all. Sounds better and better with each report from the reveal. If I knew on which continent I'd be living, I'd be tempted to put my deposit down already.
post #105 of 187 Old 02-17-2017, 01:37 PM
McLaren fanatic
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
Anyone care to explain the glass C-Pillar?

Glad to see my vision was correct in spotting those luggage straps in the leaks

This car is going to offer it all. Sounds better and better with each report from the reveal. If I knew on which continent I'd be living, I'd be tempted to put my deposit down already.
The area highlighted in orange should be where the glass goes.
Attached Images

Peloton25 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.