P14 - What it looks like. - Page 57 - McLaren Life
 819Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #841 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
can we expect a 2.0L then, revving to 15,000rpm? Okay, I'm listening.
that's the logical conclusion isn't it... I did suggest the never ending quest for power in road cars seemed a little daft and a proper lightweight car with perhaps 400 bhp max was the way forward..

lets just say he didn't disagree.. ! ;-)

wouldn't it be cool if they could involve him in bp23..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
oh piss, he said "seamless gearchanging"... no manual then!
Honestly, I don't think it's even close anymore in how much better a dual clutch is than a manual. Don't get me wrong, I still love driving a manual, but you can just do a lot more with the dual clutch (with the exception, perhaps, of rally style driving).

Interesting on the natural aspiration. I wonder if he still feels this way today, when you can shape the turbo curve so much, to do so much more in so many more environments.

Anyway, I certainly get the 'drivers car' vibe. Really interesting, thanks for sharing all those links and interviews gents!
post #843 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundincircles View Post
Ah , that's good to hear, on the tour no doubt. He is a good guy, done some good work. Wonder if Frank is making an appearance in NZ? iT'S A big event.
Frank was indisposed ,I know he wanted to be there.......

The (675) "Beast"
post #844 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 10:09 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
oh piss, he said "seamless gearchanging"... no manual then!
I suppose the answer is... 'it depends' If I'm not wrong, the LCC rocket which he was involved with has a sequential gearbox (with a heck of a lot of gears too) rather than a standard manual box.

To be honest talking about seamless gearchange for acceleration numbers while writing off excessive aero on road cars seems a bit contradictory to me as well in many respects.

Last edited by isv; 12-05-2016 at 10:11 PM.
post #845 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
that's the logical conclusion isn't it... I did suggest the never ending quest for power in road cars seemed a little daft and a proper lightweight car with perhaps 400 bhp max was the way forward..

I thought that was supposed to be my particular stuck record......! So you really did remember me after all
andy c and Mikeyb like this.
post #846 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Owner

From 2 years ago I had it in my head this was going to be a 74?, can't remember whether that was model code and/or power, be good if it was but most opinion seems to be heading for 720.
post #847 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 10:26 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not feeling the love for the design at this stage guys.
No doubt it will be a technological masterpiece but its hardly a looker from what I have seen.

I'm certainly not brave enough to be putting down a deposit at this stage but good luck to those that are.

I want to have a look at 570S LT spider and 488 speciale variants if they come to fruition
KenU likes this.
post #848 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
wouldn't it be cool if they could involve him in bp23..
I don't disagree, on the other hand, McLaren isn't exactly short of design and engineering talent.
Mikeyb and Patricko like this.
post #849 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 10:54 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottL View Post
...on the other hand, McLaren isn't exactly short of design and engineering talent.
McLaren are at the top of their game and everyone else is trying to keep up.
Mikeyb and Craigy like this.
post #850 of 1154 Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB650S View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not feeling the love for the design at this stage guys.
No doubt it will be a technological masterpiece but its hardly a looker from what I have seen.

I'm certainly not brave enough to be putting down a deposit at this stage but good luck to those that are.
Were you at the ball? Have you seen the car in person?
andy c and snowhorn like this.
post #851 of 1154 Old 12-06-2016, 12:05 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB650S View Post

I want to have a look at 570S LT spider and 488 speciale variants if they come to fruition
Wow GRB, surprised that you're thinking of 570 or 488. You think those could possibly be in any substantial way better performing than your 650? Or is it more just getting something new?
post #852 of 1154 Old 12-06-2016, 01:13 AM
McLaren fanatic
Owner

Hi Mark, I'm sure my renderings don't do the car enough justice, but they're slightly representative of the real product, I am sure. I showed the rendering to a friend who works at McLaren and he said that it's almost spot on. He pointed out what's different on the real car, but obviously I didn't adjust the renderings accordingly. I've also made it clear before, my renderings are based on the orange P14 renderings that we saw a while ago, so I've only made some adjustments to it in order to give a better representation of the real deal, so you can say I was doing everyone a favor.
post #853 of 1154 Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark ANTAR View Post
Hi Mark, I'm sure my renderings don't do the car enough justice, but they're slightly representative of the real product, I am sure. I showed the rendering to a friend who works at McLaren and he said that it's almost spot on. He pointed out what's different on the real car, but obviously I didn't adjust the renderings accordingly. I've also made it clear before, my renderings are based on the orange P14 renderings that we saw a while ago, so I've only made some adjustments to it in order to give a better representation of the real deal, so you can say I was doing everyone a favor.
True. Its just a rendering and I think most people know and appreciate that,like I do, you take the time in those dark periods when we didnt see the real car yet
andy c, Mark ANTAR and Kannito like this.
post #854 of 1154 Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark ANTAR View Post
Mark, keep the faith.

We need inspiration and feeding all things P14.

There are some forum members who have the the inside track and get ahead of the baying mob and appear to forget the majority need to feed on the speculation, the conjecture, the myths and dreams until we, too, are exposed to the facts.......how can your renders be misleading when they are clearly your guess at the likely outcome of something we have never seen? Keep feeding the mob Mark.
Mikeyb, Mark ANTAR, DLC and 3 others like this.

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

Various 911's from 1991

650S Spider, 15 Multistrada Touring S, 16 Honda Africa Twin.

12C Coupe and Spider Now History but not forgotten
post #855 of 1154 Old 12-06-2016, 03:42 PM

Lots of encouraging news in here! Can't wait.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.