P14 - What it looks like. - Page 29 - McLaren Life
 1222Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #421 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 06:51 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
As we all know Ayrton Senna passed away in 1994 at Imola.

GTR 06R was campaigned by Mach One Racing and its team owner, Moody Fayed, whose uncle was the owner of the Harrod's department store brand, was a huge Senna fan (who wasn't, right...?). He chose to have his F1 GTR finished in the yellow and green colors of the Brazilian flag as tribute to Senna the following year. The car also wore a sticker on the center of the rear bumper which read "PER TE AYRTON" or "FOR YOU AYRTON" at most events including the 24 Hours of Le Mans, as shown below.
Oh, okay, a connection in the sense that a car owner admired a deceased driver.

Btw, the green on the Harrods car is not from the Brazilian flag. It is the trim colour used by Harrods department store. ;-)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
People! Please don't suggest to McLaren, or MSO for sake, any more ideas for small batch production runs. Instead of delivering regular cars to people who have ordered, the entire organization and constituency gets distracted by these "editions". Now the debate is already on, if the 650 LM is a "special" car deserving a higher valuation or not, and that already moves on to the Can Am spider, and so forth. At the same time the number of cars in the market measured by annual production is hardly growing, keeping McLaren in a niche. That is bad for all of us.

Actually my idea was for production models with MSO touches suggested by a driver. They can do one a year and in small batches as orders accumulate. I doubt they will do it but who knows. Maybe if I get 20 associates to inquire they might give in to demand. lol

I didn't even suggest more powerful engines like the blue printed ones in the MSO HS or the one in the P14.
post #423 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
As we all know Ayrton Senna passed away in 1994 at Imola.

GTR 06R was campaigned by Mach One Racing and its team owner, Moody Fayed, whose uncle was the owner of the Harrod's department store brand, was a huge Senna fan (who wasn't, right...?). He chose to have his F1 GTR finished in the yellow and green colors of the Brazilian flag as tribute to Senna the following year. The car also wore a sticker on the center of the rear bumper which read "PER TE AYRTON" or "FOR YOU AYRTON" at most events including the 24 Hours of Le Mans, as shown below.

Attachment 120665

Attachment 120641

It even appeared on the 1/18th scale model of the Harrod's GTR by UT.

Attachment 120657

Some old photos of Moody and a large scale model of the Harrrod's GTR can be seen here.

>8^)
ER

New Britain responded some time ago about the Brunei F1's.

How many do you believe are still present in Brunei? I sold one company that had ties to Brunei after my children were born. I did get a chance to pull out a few cars some years ago because of my company, basically referring many special forces personnel to work there. Paperwork is almost non-existent dealing with the lower level staff. I did get a chance to visit the garages of nephews of the Sultan along with the well publicized main garages. One of the nephews is visiting LA this fall and I'm going to ask him if anything is left. It was a while ago but I remember an Orange LM that was almost new. One black & silver(not sure of the model) looked like a sand storm hit it. I know they gave away many of the Mercedes and auctioned some lots off at different times.

I know one of my managers showed me a website that kept track of the Sultans cars but I lost track of that some time ago.

I know mcl1.com tries to keep track but not sure if Brunei cars are track able.

Thanks

post #424 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 AM
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
Btw, the green on the Harrods car is not from the Brazilian flag. It is the trim colour used by Harrods department store. ;-)
Yes, I'm certainly aware of that connection with the exact color used too. The Brazil flag is primarily Yellow/Green so it all worked together with the Uncle's marketing interests to use the darker green. Appreciate how you all keep me on my toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
New Britain responded some time ago about the Brunei F1's.
Happy to talk Brunei inventory, but is there a more appropriate place than this P14 thread? We've already derailed it enough with P1 LT's and espresso machines.

>8^)
ER

Andy Wallace on the McLaren F1 after setting the 240.1 MPH speed record at Ehra Lessien on March 31st 1998:

"I still say this is the best car ever built, ever, and probably will never be beaten."

Last edited by Peloton25; 09-14-2016 at 08:42 AM.
post #425 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
Putt putt? I need to see pics if you can cram a full set of golf clubs in the GT hatch. I can't imagine ever fitting clubs in there. The barely fit a tennis racket in the promo videos.

I recommend packing cubes for the front trunk with the important stuff on top. I could probably fit my entire wardrobe in the front of the McLaren is using cubes. Just fold up a duffel bag and cram it behind the seats and use it for transporting cubes to/from your car. It's not like you need 100% of your clothes in the room at any given time, right? Worst case you make a couple trips from the car. These ones from eBags on Amazon will fit side by side pretty perfectly I think. Could probably fit 10-15 full ones in there depending how tight you want to pack. That's a ton of clothes, for man or woman. I'm almost tempted to just try and fill it up to see how much I can get in there haha. I've packed my whole wardrobe once before, and I'm pretty sure it would fit.
my wife is small, but even her kit won't fit in a cube.. particularly the stuff she likes a lot...

I guess the golf thing is a difference between the Europe and Us... over there, you tend to arrive in your car and hop into a tesla, sorry, golf cart, before setting off... the bag is therefore something that is never going to get carried apart from the poor chap who unloads it ..

in Europe we tend to carry, so bags etc are smaller.. much, in some circumstances.. I agree in the GT the space isn't quite big enough behind the rear seats, for a bag either euro size or US.. the space in whatever we're looking at in these photos looks bigger... time will tell if its enough for a golf bag, but I doubt it.. but I like John Galt's solution anyway...

just think its cool that there's a bit more space in the car... ;-).. now can we talk about MPG!? am tired of all this how fast, how beautiful stuff.. ;-)
andy c and Craigy like this.
post #426 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundincircles View Post
I understand there was lobbying for pushchair space
am at the front of that queue... along with @MarkNC and a few others.. bring on the four seater, espresso machine, breakfast bar special limited marmite edition...
post #427 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
my wife is small, but even her kit won't fit in a cube.. particularly the stuff she likes a lot...

I guess the golf thing is a difference between the Europe and Us... over there, you tend to arrive in your car and hop into a tesla, sorry, golf cart, before setting off... the bag is therefore something that is never going to get carried apart from the poor chap who unloads it ..

in Europe we tend to carry, so bags etc are smaller.. much, in some circumstances.. I agree in the GT the space isn't quite big enough behind the rear seats, for a bag either euro size or US.. the space in whatever we're looking at in these photos looks bigger... time will tell if its enough for a golf bag, but I doubt it.. but I like John Galt's solution anyway...

just think its cool that there's a bit more space in the car... ;-).. now can we talk about MPG!? am tired of all this how fast, how beautiful stuff.. ;-)
Being doing what john does with his clubs since the start..but my shoes are old and the spikes play havoc with the Alcantara

The (675) "Beast"
post #428 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 12:48 PM
Owner
Owner

So back to the topic of this thread...is this the P14 or not?? To me the photos of the car on the road (taken from behind the barrier) seem of car thats nearly finished and without much disguise.

The car at the airport is wearing a lot of disguise and different wheels. So are they the same car? Must say that i prefer the look/stance of the airport car.
post #429 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew-A View Post
So back to the topic of this thread...is this the P14 or not?? To me the photos of the car on the road (taken from behind the barrier) seem of car thats nearly finished and without much disguise.

The car at the airport is wearing a lot of disguise and different wheels. So are they the same car? Must say that i prefer the look/stance of the airport car.

Put those 21" & 20" airport car wheels on the road car and it's a winner.
post #430 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:

That is the question isnít it? It may or may not be, but for what itís worth, I tend to believe this is an unintended glimpse at an undisguised car. For it to be anything else (which, I admit, is possible), the following had to happen:
1. McLaren had to reject the traditional method of teasing a new car
With a conventionally camouflaged car, everyone knows the deal. The maker is saying to the public: here are some pictures to tease you; weíre not willing to show you the finished product yet, but we will give you some hints while doing our best to keep you guessing. This model of marketing discourages the public from making a final judgment on the productóthere simply isnít enough information to do so, and everyone knows that. This is a win-win situation: the manufacturer hasnít misled anyone since design revisions are inevitable, and the publicís curiosity is piqued.
2. McLaren instead decided to tease a new car by building a convincing decoy that looks like an uncamoflaged test car
In this scenario, if certain posts are to be believed, McLaren fabricated a decoy car to look like an uncamoflaged prototype. This has, understandably and predictably, invited the public and the press to judge the product and reach conclusions on its design. And why wouldnít itóif you think you are looking at an uncamoflaged prototype, thereís no reason not to evaluate the car. On the other hand, if certain posts are to be believed, behind the scenes McLaren is trying to assure people that this isnít what the P14 will look like. So if this was the strategy, that strategy was apparently was to trick people into believing this was the car and then immediately try to undo that perception. Under what circumstances is this rational? To mislead and confuse people, then engage in a whisper campaign to walk it back.
Also, if this was the strategy, McLaren had to decide it wanted people to judge the company and the product on the basis of a decoy. That would be bonkers. If someone loved the design, you risk making them feel like McLaren pulled a bait and switch when the real design is revealed. If someone decides the design isnít his cup of tea, you risk pushing that person to make purchasing decisions based on a decoy.
post #431 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Honestly, who knows. Some parts are probably finished and more accurate than other. Tail lights are probably legit, though they might be longer still than what we can see. You can see there is an orange painted car underneath all that matte grey stuff, so clearly they are covering stuff up still. The front intakes look function, but probably not the final form (they look all bent and have weird overlapping panels if you look up close.)

My guess is that some is finished, some is not. We'll just have to wait and see what's what in a few months.
post #432 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Clubs fit in the S just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to digress from such an important topic but more pressing - John, you've got to get that safety sticker off the dash!!!!
Craigy, John Galt and future01 like this.
post #433 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Owner
InnerCircle
Owner

Did anyone get a little insight from this seemingly random entry in "Project" magazine?

post #434 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Owner

[QUOTE=OfNoConsequence;1208377]Did anyone get a little insight from this seemingly random entry in "Project" magazine?

Yes, what this means is that the pricing will be from the future..........

On the other hand we may be entering a sharper , more angular design language/period. It is a developing trend or fashion with Audi, VW, Lambo, Fezza, Aston, Citroen but not Peugot.

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

Various 911's from 1991

650S Spider, 15 Multistrada Touring S, 16 Honda Africa Twin.

12C Coupe and Spider Now History but not forgotten
post #435 of 1552 Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 PM

Sorry Peloton

Yeah I know I'm probably the #1 offender. It's just a thought I'll bring out before it gets buried with other topics and I forget.

Let's get back to the penguins, Galapagos, and fish gills. By the way fascinating work taking place in robotic biomimicry these days. Take for example a robotic arm with the movement of an elephants trunk. In automation this is a site to see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.