P14 - What it looks like. - Page 100 - McLaren Life
 1222Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1486 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
I'm fine with McLaren's production strategy. If you want to avoid some depreciation, buy used and/or be patient.

I want the best stuff money can buy at any given time. End of story. I'll pay what I'm willing to pay for it. No one complains about being able to buy the latest and greatest phone every year, so why complain about the latest and greatest car models? There are plenty of places to spend your money if you don't like McLaren's strategy. Plenty of classic and vintage cars that are fun, cool, and even appreciating if that's what important to you.

Bring on the new stuff, year after year!
Cell phone loss $300

McLaren loss $100K (depending upon model)

Hey for those small handful that love to lose money, more power. Happy to lose $300, not so happy with $100K. McLaren will not last as a brand with your strategy--sorry to burst the fun bubble.
New Britain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1487 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 03:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm fine with McLaren's production strategy. If you want to avoid some depreciation, buy used and/or be patient.

I want the best stuff money can buy at any given time. End of story. I'll pay what I'm willing to pay for it. No one complains about being able to buy the latest and greatest phone every year, so why complain about the latest and greatest car models? There are plenty of places to spend your money if you don't like McLaren's strategy. Plenty of classic and vintage cars that are fun, cool, and even appreciating if that's what important to you.

totally agree. Push the envelope as fast as possible. Iterate and improve quickly.

Customers like us will always want the latest technology and fastest best looking toys you can get. Some will wait to buy used or none at all. Mclaren is developing their cars so fast they are now disrupting the supercar market where Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari used to own. I have not purchased my 1st McLaren yet BUT after seeing the 720S they converted me. I was holding off ordering a 488 to see this and after a few Ferrari's and Porsche my next car will be the 720S then probably their spider variant.

I still love the other brands but Mclaren has just busted through the glass ceiling rather quickly. Wait until the remaining non-believers see this go head to head against the usual suspects.

I have to congratulate the 720S designers and engineers. They have produced something quite impressive which isn't easy under any circumstance let alone the short time they have been making cars.

Great time to be a car enthusiast!
andy c, Mark ANTAR, Craigy and 4 others like this.

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS UltraViolet
2015 Ferrari 458 Spider Rosso Corsa
2013 BMW M5 Alpine White Individual
2012 BMW X5M Melbourne Red
a few others....
post #1488 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 03:21 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic_Driver View Post

I still love the other brands but Mclaren has just busted through the glass ceiling rather quickly. Wait until the remaining non-believers see this go head to head against the usual suspects.
Wow. Now you are starting to sound like me too! Pretty soon everyone will be singing my song.

Remember this one: A rising tide raises all boats!
andy c, Exotic_Driver and hesperus like this.

post #1489 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 03:24 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbodaclown View Post
Not too sure about the glowing engine. Bit F&F Tokyo Drift to me...
If you don't like it I'm sure you'll be able to turn it off. A couple of LEDs don't take up any significant weight or add an significant complexity. McLaren said they're there to add a little theater which is great to see them not taking themselves so seriously. It's like a breath of fresh air. Can't wait to drive it and see if they've dialed in the kind of fun factor that makes me beg my wife to let me drive her 570S!
post #1490 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 07:26 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
I would put it another way - that at this point McLaren's customer base is not broad or deep enough to enable them to sell the (essentially) same model for as many years as Porsche and Ferrari can do. Relative to those more established car-makers, McLaren cannot generate sufficient volume unless it comes up with new models and variants. Too many of McLaren's customers feel the need to have the latest thing, rather than just having the best thing, the right thing, or a really good thing.
Quote:

You would appear to be one of the McLaren customers whom I was describing.
post #1491 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
Wow. Now you are starting to sound like me too! Pretty soon everyone will be singing my song.

Remember this one: A rising tide raises all boats!
When the tide rises too far too quickly, your basement gets flooded.
Rarity and John Galt like this.
post #1492 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic_Driver View Post
...I have not purchased my 1st McLaren yet BUT after seeing the 720S they converted me. I was holding off ordering a 488 to see this and after a few Ferrari's and Porsche my next car will be the 720S then probably their spider variant.
Not to crash the excitement surrounding the 720S, but this statement caught me off guard and pisses me off. Nothing against what you said, but what that statement just revealed to me pushes my buttons. I own a 12C and I showed a real genuine interest in putting down a deposit at my dealer whom I see for my yearly maintenance. When I asked if I could get an invite to the NY preview, I was told by the owner of the dealer "No offense, but you don't own a P1 or 675LT, this preview is reserved for owners who own two or three McLarens." Those were his exact words. I really wanted to see this car, but I told him I understood the situation. Now I hear that some who have never owned a Mac got to see it.

This makes me

2012 MP4-12C Alpha 7 - Fire Black
post #1493 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQB_Aw2h_Bs/

Looks like somebody didn't put their phone away....
Im so excited! I go tonight at 7pm to see it!

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC

Last edited by str8blst; 02-16-2017 at 03:44 PM.
post #1494 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTX View Post
Cell phone loss $300

McLaren loss $100K (depending upon model)

Hey for those small handful that love to lose money, more power. Happy to lose $300, not so happy with $100K. McLaren will not last as a brand with your strategy--sorry to burst the fun bubble.
So how do you explain RR and Bentley surviving? How about Huracans losing over $50K within less than a year?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are more rich people in the world than you'd care to admit. How many people on here make $50K/month? You think they're hurting over a couple months income over the life of their car? Don't think so.
Craigy and Exotic_Driver like this.
post #1495 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Not to crash the excitement surrounding the 720S, but this statement caught me off guard and pisses me off. Nothing against what you said, but what that statement just revealed to me pushes my buttons. I own a 12C and I showed a real genuine interest in putting down a deposit at my dealer whom I see for my yearly maintenance. When I asked if I could get an invite to the NY preview, I was told by the owner of the dealer "No offense, but you don't own a P1 or 675LT, this preview is reserved for owners who own two or three McLarens." Those were his exact words. I really wanted to see this car, but I told him I understood the situation. Now I hear that some who have never owned a Mac got to see it.

This makes me
Was this the Chicago dealer?

Maybe each dealer had a limited number of people they could send. That said, I'd stop by the dealer and tell them that and see what they say. I don't see any point in limiting who can see the car unless it's just a matter of time and space. If I had customers who wanted to see it, I'd do my best to get them in. McLaren customer relations are actually really good and I really don't think corporate care if you just have a 12C or a P1.

I'd also point out that having a P1 or 675 LT doesn't make you any better of a customer than a "lowly" 12C owner. I think owning a 12C for 3-4 years is just as good for the brand as the guy who buys a new one every year. In some sense I'd argue that keeping your car for years is actually really good for the brand and what they needed most. 12C/650S residuals weren't shit because of the owners who actually hung onto their cars long periods of time...

Last edited by noone2; 02-16-2017 at 04:06 PM.
post #1496 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You would appear to be one of the McLaren customers whom I was describing.
I buy used.

I don't have to be first on the block and the patience awards me a "free" car every few purchases. My thoughts are this:

Guy 1 buys day one, keeps it 3 years, then buys the new model day 1.
Guy 2 buys 1 year used, keeps it 3 years, then buys the new model 1 year used.

Both guys drove the same cars for the same amount of time. Why would I care about being Guy 1?
post #1497 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
When the tide rises too far too quickly, your basement gets flooded.
John Galt likes this.
post #1498 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
i buy used.

i don't have to be first on the block and the patience awards me "free" underwear every purchase. My thoughts are this:

Guy 1 buys new underwear, keeps it 3 years, then buys new underwear.
Guy 2 finds 1 year used underwear, keeps it 3 years, then finds more 1 year used underwear.

Both guys wore the same underwear for the same amount of time. Why would i care about being guy 1?
f.i.f.y.
post #1499 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 04:41 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I'd also point out that having a P1 or 675 LT doesn't make you any better of a customer than a "lowly" 12C owner. I think owning a 12C for 3-4 years is just as good for the brand as the guy who buys a new one every year. In some sense I'd argue that keeping your car for years is actually really good for the brand and what they needed most. 12C/650S residuals weren't shit because of the owners who actually hung onto their cars long periods of time...
My experience:

Person who buys numerous cars, leases them, holds onto it for six months, sells it on consignment and then goes into the next car is the ideal customer for car dealers.
Craigy likes this.
post #1500 of 1552 Old 02-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Owner

Quote:
Was this the Chicago dealer?
Yes it is. But I asked to be put on the list for the car back in March or April of last year. I did this in person, while I had my Mac in for maintenance, not on the phone. I was told back then the list was small at the time. I never got a call back, was never offered to put a deposit down. I called last fall, was told the list was long with priority going to owners of multiple Macs. I was never called to put a deposit down, and I was told that I would likely not even get the first model year. I then spoke on the phone with one of the owners of the dealer about at least seeing the car, which is when I was politely told I couldn't because of the limited availability. I was actually "ok" with all of this treatment, I figured it's just the same BS priority Ferrari does. Despite all this I was "ok" about not being able to see the 720S, I'm not a high roller, I understand. I thought I had a good relationship with the dealer, I stopped in to test drive the 650S and 570S when I was getting service and I have even brought along a new serious client. I was even "ok" with being swept under the rug and forgotten when deposits were taken... people forget, lose names, whatever happened I don't care. But when I hear that other second hand 12C owners, even some that never owned a Mac, got to see the 720S, while I wasn't good enough... I think I have a reason to be mad when I showed repeated interest in the car.

On the flip side, I'm #3 in line for the Performante, will get to see it in a private showing next week, and have never owned a Lambo. I'm not taking any current Lambo owner's spot in seeing the car either, they still have vacant openings for private showings. Despite all this, I will likely still keep my 12C because it's such a great car, but I don't think I'll buy a new Mac based on how I have been treated as a lowly 12C owner. I gave my Mac dealer a fair chance, unfortunately the next closest one is 8 hours away. I will likely just enjoy my Mac and build a relationship with Lamborghini from this point forward. They don't seem to care what I have owned before, but have pulled out the red carpet for me every time I stop in. That goes a long way in my book. In the past, I have bought a brand based on the customer experience alone.

Again, not to detract from the 720S, it seems it will be a great car, my experience may just be a dealer problem. I'm sure the 720S will be an even better car for those that have a great relationship with their dealer, and that's what's most important.
Mikeyb likes this.

2012 MP4-12C Alpha 7 - Fire Black

Last edited by Excelsior; 02-16-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.