P1 Ring Time - Page 43 - McLaren Life

McLaren Life McLaren Forum McLaren P1, F1 ::

P1 Ring Time

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #631
isv
Owner

If evo are right about this and Mclaren do end up never releasing a ring time, they have managed to put foot in mouth over the whole ring time affair quite spectacularly. They are going to quite rightly take a ton of flak for this if true.
isv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #632
McLaren Fanatic

Name: Erik

Yeah - I almost ended my post with "Queue $#!% storm"

I think it's pretty funny and I applaud their bravery. All (or nearly all) the cars are sold, most to people who couldn't really care about the lap time anyway, so good for them.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #633
Owner

Heh. That move caught me by surprise, I'll admit, but it doesn't change my decision to buy one.

I *will* be taking my P1 to Laguna Seca, where I'm already quite calibrated on my 12C lap times. We'll see how much faster the P1 is there, and I'll post the result.

Cheers, Ben (P1 [eta Q3], 458 Spider, 599 GTO, 599XX EVO, F12. 458 Challenge EVO)
treynor is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #634
InnerCircle
Owner

They could be trying to force a time from LAF, before stating theirs?
Drifter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #635
McLaren Fanatic

Name: Erik

Nope, I don't think that's the case. Not if what Nick has written is the end of this story.

I think this will all become clear on (you guessed it) Tuesday in Bahrain.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #636
Owner

I'm hoping that 'never to be revealed' means they just weren't going ti release it to EVO for their issue. Maybe wishful thinking I know. Hoping they do their own announcement in Bahrain.
NVMcLaren is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #637
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
Nope, I don't think that's the case. Not if what Nick has written is the end of this story.

I think this will all become clear on (you guessed it) Tuesday in Bahrain.

>8^)
ER
Interesting, looking forward to Tuesday then
Drifter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #638
Owner

But they did announce.

It's under 7. So we know it's at most 6:59, which is essentially at least tied with the 918's 6:57. Anything within 3seconds is basically a dead wash. But it could also be 6:47, or 6:37, as some of the rumors have suggested.

So from a marketing standpoint, it's kind of brilliant and moronic all at once. Brilliant because it's mysterious and "at least as good as the 918" or potentially faster. It gives it a "Im at the top of the heap, yet above it all" vibe.

It's moronic puffery that apparently McLaren made some assertions on times on the ring (being below 7m) but now are bowing out on details, which looks like wimping out.

I hear what you guys are saying about it being a good thing to deprecate the industry's fixation with the 'ring times. Nevertheless, the best marketing McLaren ever does is when they under promise, and over deliver, and the above doesn't follow that pattern.
jkheit is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #639
Owner

Not sure what to think yet,but going back to the ring and getting rumours going so as to supress the 7.04 over the general internet was better than sitting on their PR hands,so probably a good thing not trying for the best the car can do and risking lives. (I did hear a few months ago that this was an issue,but as it was not confirmed I didn't share)
Also it wont be long before the P1 will be proving itself on the Race tracks of the world by posting irrefutable times in magazine articles and anyone trying to put up its inability to produce a Ring time will look a little bitter if its smashing the competition everywhere else !!

current 997 turbo+bentley GT,Mclaren 12c
past
911e, 911t, 911 sc, 911 3.2,911 964 mod supercharged, db7, 996 turbo mod, 996 turbo more mod, V8vantage, 997 turbo mod
andy c is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #640
Owner

I call by it's name: FAIL! This reeks of manure sky high........!!

Why go the ring, rent it for a whole day, and then turn around and say we never thought the ring time is important? They quite obviously failed to beat or reach the 918 time - now it's PR spin masters to the rescue!

No matter what the fan boys will say on here in defense of the P1 - for the world at large the 918 is the king of the hyper cars on the ring - except if the Fezza comes out and beats the 918, that would put so much egg on Ron's face, no matter what spin machine McLaren employs, they would be done for good.

I am totally disappointed if they indeed do not disclose a time significantly better than 6:57.

Just my humble opinion, of course........
CA_MP4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #641

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
If evo are right about this and Mclaren do end up never releasing a ring time, they have managed to put foot in mouth over the whole ring time affair quite spectacularly. They are going to quite rightly take a ton of flak for this if true.
You are right about that, they kinda fired the first salvo with Ron Dennis' boast.
Gerald is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #642

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_MP4 View Post
I call by it's name: FAIL! This reeks of manure sky high........!!

Why go the ring, rent it for a whole day, and then turn around and say we never thought the ring time is important? They quite obviously failed to beat or reach the 918 time - now it's <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym> spin masters to the rescue!

No matter what the fan boys will say on here in defense of the P1 - for the world at large the 918 is the king of the hyper cars on the ring - except if the Fezza comes out and beats the 918, that would put so much egg on Ron's face, no matter what spin machine McLaren employs, they would be done for good.

I am totally disappointed if they indeed do not disclose a time significantly better than 6:57.

Just my humble opinion, of course........
Well, they did get a whole day's worth of damper testing on the 'Ring from it. I still think the P1 went well under the 918
TougeSpirit is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #643
Owner

Name: Michael

Interesting ...I suppose the only definitive thing is that evo didn't get the invite to go along...however you can also infer that the day we all got super excited, they managed only the sector times again and not a full evidenced video lap...

Anyway we see what happens in Dubai... but yes it's somewhat disappointing if true.. it a a good point that 'this is all getting a bit dangerous chaps' but equally if you say something you need to back it up with hard fact.. reputations are hard won and easily destroyed
Mikeyb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #644

Here's a theory, the nurburgring is irrelevant in the frame the P1 is shooting for. From what I have seen the ring marks little resemblance to a "normal" race track. It's bumpy and representative of neither a road where the car will be soft and comfortable, nor a track where it will be low and firm. Nurburgring developed cars seem to be ruthless on road and will be lacking on a "proper" racetrack where low ride height can properly be harnessed.
Mclaren are possibly distancing themselves from the pissing contest that is the ring. Maybe a video will "leak" of it besting the 918.
Ron is no dil neither is mclaren as a whole. they will have known quite surely how fast the car would be. Possibly changing strategy from a marketing point of view. Maybe not wanting evo to have exclusive stories ergo putting them out with other magazines, lessons learnt from 12c possibly.
Just a thought.
Jake,
LS1TOY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #645
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
Interesting ...I suppose the only definitive thing is that evo didn't get the invite to go along...however you can also infer that the day we all got super excited, they managed only the sector times again and not a full evidenced video lap...

Anyway we see what happens in Dubai... but yes it's somewhat disappointing if true.. it a a good point that 'this is all getting a bit dangerous chaps' but equally if you say something you need to back it up with hard fact.. reputations are hard won and easily destroyed
If it is to be the case Mikey,at least we will get it from the horses mouth in 13 days,4 against 1 should be good odds !!

current 997 turbo+bentley GT,Mclaren 12c
past
911e, 911t, 911 sc, 911 3.2,911 964 mod supercharged, db7, 996 turbo mod, 996 turbo more mod, V8vantage, 997 turbo mod
andy c is online now   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.