McLaren Life banner

P1 vs 918

345K views 2K replies 110 participants last post by  NVMcLaren 
#1 · (Edited)
Just went live

#4 ·
That footage at the end was awesome!!

I'm thinking Speciale should do sub 1:14 at the TGTT ie comparable time to Anglesey. I now don't think any of these cars will go sub 1:10 when at Top Gear

#10 · (Edited)
The reason is very simple, the PZero is the original OEM tire on the P1. The PSC2 is the original OEM tire on the 918. The Trofeo R is the optional tire on the P1, just like Porsche is working on the "optional tire" on the 918 with Michelin (to be released in 6 months time).

Interestingly, PSC2 has a wear rate of 180 vs. the Trofeo R's wear rate of 60, which means the Michelin lasts 3 times longer (for better real-world driving and longevity). The fair comparison would be OEM vs OEM tires, which would be Corsa (P1) vs. PSC2 (918).

When Porsche releases the track-oriented tire in the future, then you can compare that tire to the Trofeo R. Having watched the video, I now understand why Evo wouldn't release the video initially because they were made to wait for the retest from Mclaren (who supplied them with the optional tires). Funny, this reminds me of the Pagani Hyuara debacle on Top Gear with the Trofeo Rs....

Again, Porsche showed up with no factory support and one set of tires. From this video, reading between the lines from Jethro, it would appear to me that Mclaren showed up with a support team but one set of tires (Corsa) on the initial comparison test with 918. They got beaten, so they went back and got the optional track tires, came back with a full support team and retested. It lapped faster than the 918 (on OEM tires) and gave Evo the green light to air the episode.

#56 ·
Great video, shame 90% of those who watched it are calling out the P1 because of the use of the Trofeo R's. Some people even saying McLaren had a race team and put the P1 on slicks. Last i checked the race team referred to was Ferrari's and the Trofeo R's are Semi-Slicks. Can anybody confirm? Don't think it is fair to call McLaren out, from what i've seen or heard from owners and journalists the P1 is much more tyre limited by it's Corsas than the 918.

Personally, i'm calling both equally as fast on track. To me 0.2s is such a tiny difference, it makes up for 2.7% of that whole lap, and you could deem that variable related i.e. Wind, Temperature or Driver variations. I mean you could look into this all day, like some of you are, like tyre compounds etc. To me it's just more excuses, when will it end? For me it is much more interesting to see how much quicker the P1 was on Trofeo R's compared to P Zero Corsas. Question though as i'm unsure, are the Trofeo R's road legal?

I do agree with unotaz though. From the sounds of it, McLaren picked the wrong company to let develop the tyres for the P1.

#68 ·
Would be nice to see some tests which favour the P1 a bit more. Some of you say how magazines are favouring the P1 and being kind to McLaren, yet why are all the tracks test comparisons done on short low speed circuits which favour the 918's AWD and more mechanical grip.

The fact the P1 can keep up with the 918, despite being on a track that favours the 918 says a lot for the P1. Anglesey from the looks of it isn't a high downforce track, hasn't got high speed corners so really the P1 has to rely a lot on mechanic grip which the 918 has more of, a lot more of. Just makes me think that on a track like the 'Ring, Monza or Spa the P1 will likely beat the 918, even on Corsas. Stick it on Trofeo R's and well i can't see the 918 standing a chance. Would be nice to see a comparison like this on those circuits just to see if this is true.

As for the roof thing. The P1 was 0.27% slower on Corsas, but 1.6% quicker on Trofeo R's around Anglesey. Most test would deem stuff under maybe 1% variable related and insignificant, i.e. not worth taking notice to :p

#70 ·
I've been lurking on this forum for several months and really enjoy all the banter.

Ultimately the only fair comparison would be one where both cars are on the same tyres but because of optimization that's not going to happen.

Regarding the debate about the Trofeo R vs the MPSC2, there is poster on one of the Ferrari forums who has used both on his 430 scud and has found the Trofeo R to be 1.5 - 2 seconds faster than the MPSC2 around a one minute track. Not saying that the exact same improvement should be expected in the 918 but I think it does give us a ballpark figure.

With like for like tyres, on high speed tracks I'd expect the P1 to be quicker but on more technical tracks the 918 seems to have the edge.

#73 ·
Regarding the debate about the Trofeo R vs the MPSC2, there is poster on one of the Ferrari forums who has used both on his 430 scud and has found the Trofeo R to be 1.5 - 2 seconds faster than the MPSC2 around a one minute track. Not saying that the exact same improvement should be expected in the 918 but I think it does give us a ballpark figure.

With like for like tyres, on high speed tracks I'd expect the P1 to be quicker but on more technical tracks the 918 seems to have the edge.
Agreed +1.

#79 ·
So much debate about nothing.

Trofeo > Cup 2 > Corsa, I think we can all agree.

P1 was .2s off the 918 with Corsas and 1.2s ahead with Trofeos. You use what you have access to. McLaren can run Trofeos and lower ride height and the 918 cannot. It's not McLaren's fault the 918 only has one tire option just as it's not Porsche fault that the standard P1 tires are Corsas.

Tires are a design choice just as much as anything else. You calibrate your car according to the tires. As it stands right now, Porsche has tires in the middle of Corsas and Trofeos. Such was their design choice. 918 has AWD and two electric motors by design too...

Just take it for what it is. You have two cars that are not comparable in any way other than by the fundamental definition of an automobile. If it doesn't make sense to compare Trofeos to Cup 2, then it sure as hell doesn't make sense to compare a RWD TT 903hp car to a AWD NA 887hp car.

#80 ·
If only life were so simple, the tyre debate is raging between people who think

Trofeos ~ Cup2s >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Corsas

And those who think

Trofeos >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cup2s > Corsas

I quoted earlier a Scud owner who gained 2 seconds a lap on a one minute lap going from Cup 2s to Trofeos. Obviously IF this was replicated in the 918 it would make it faster than the P1 on this particular track.

I guess people don't generally consider tyres to be an integral part of a car's design, more of a disposable which can be experimented with. Perhaps that isn't the case with these hypercars but it would be nice to see how they compare on like for like rubber.

#82 · (Edited)
Just curious, can you even spec Trofeo R tires as part of the original equipment on the P1? I don't recall you could. I think there are good reasons why the Corsa tire was chosen by Mclaren as part of the original equipment on the P1. I mean, they did test the Corsa tires over 500,000 Miles. Can you imagine driving the P1 all year round in Britain's weather with the Trofeo Rs??!

#113 ·
It's not the stiffness because the 918 was engineered from the ground up to work as a Spyder. It's the aerodynamic, you lose a bit of speed when you get over 100mph with the roof off. Anybody who does track days knows this, it's just surprising to see Evo tested it with the roof off.

#95 ·
Tires

Hi,

haven driven all of the mentioned tires:

Trofeo R >> MPSCup 1 > MPSCup 2 > Corsa

The trofeo-r is the new goto tire for fast laps on the ring for pretty much every car (including aircooled porsches, which are very picky regarding tires & balance near the limit). Nobody fast drives the Cup2, Cup1 only because they're cheap nowadays.

No comparison.

I'll take the 918, thank you.

Dirk

#96 ·
Hi,

haven driven all of the mentioned tires:

Trofeo R >> MPSCup 1 > MPSCup 2 > Corsa

The trofeo-r is the new goto tire for fast laps on the ring for pretty much every car (including aircooled porsches, which are very picky regarding tires & balance near the limit). Nobody fast drives the Cup2, Cup1 only because they're cheap nowadays.

No comparison.

I'll take the 918, thank you.

Dirk
Good to know.

Do you have any credentials? I only ask because it's your first post and possibly your last considering how random of a first post it was. Never seen you on any other forums, though perhaps your name is different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.