McLaren Life banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

McLaren P1 - Mega Mac-F1 Successor

844K views 4K replies 174 participants last post by  SSO 
#1 ·
Autocar just broke the news that an F1 successor is arriving in 2014:D
details are still sketchy but new car rumored to have 5.0 V8tt with 799hp @ 7500rpms with 590lb ft torque Ricardo tuned engine. 7spd double clutch Graz trans. limited production of 500 units with a 4yr run. priced around $570-650K
Car should have performance and 'LOOKS' to match. hoping they keep weight @ around 2600-2800lbs (dry). McLaren has set it's sights on the Veyron this time around. this should be some battle:eek: tho out of my league CAN"T WAIT to see it unfold:)

#1,901 ·
It's possible they entered the displacement of the 12Cs engine on registration documents to fool nosey people, or it is just as likely they decided they could achieve the necessary levels of power without increasing the displacement of the engine. We will have to wait and see what proves to be true.

There are a whole host of things that can be done to make more power from the same sized engine in addition to simply increasing the boost. We know the specs of the 918 but most people are still guessing at specs of the other contenders including the 'journalists'.

>8^)
ER

#1,902 ·
Mclaren can bore it, stroke it and put a new head on it. My suspicion is they will have decided a configuration that balance power to weight target and tree hugging good citizen PR.

Engine capacity bragging rights don't seem to feature in Mclaren DNA, just be the fastest.

Testosterone capacity is definitely a Lamborghini requirement, not sure about Ferrrari other than it seems to be driven by a V12 mentality.

#1,905 · (Edited)
Looks even better with wing sitting low. I always feel that these real world shots, even in full camo with a fake rear, look WAY better than car show pics or picture booth style shots.

#1,911 ·
It is going to be tough for the ferrari to look and be better than the P1 : the prancing horse isn't as beautiful and can't be as aerodynamically efficient as the stylised kiwi mclaren logo. they really start with a handicap, they will have to think about other shapes to design their car!

#1,917 ·
There's been some discussion. Those additions, the changing shape of the hood vents and what appears to be the elimination of the gap below the headlamps seems to be the only changes they are making to the design for production. Well, that and the necessary stuff for federalizing the cars in different markets - wipers, reflectors, lights, etc.

>8^)
ER

#1,933 ·
An American LeMans Series mechanic told me they need a minimum of five laps of any track to "home in" the GPS. Funnily enough, he also said that speed wasn't important when doing this, how does that make sense?

#1,934 ·
This is to calibrate the GPS to the signal it can receive at a given track for telemetry. It has nothing to do with developing software that triggers the KERS where it's most efficient on a given track by GPS as that requires a lot of data gathering, thought and specific programing based on specfic drivers, and many other factors.

This isn't something that any of these hypercars will have.

#1,935 ·
If that is indeed the new Fezza then the P1 has it clearly beaten in the looks department, as that appears ugly to me (1-0). I also find it hard to believe that spec-wise the P1 will be as spectacularly outdone as the rumours suggest, what I think will happen is they will be very similar with a large on track advantage for the P1 (like the 12c and 458 with their respective specs and lap times, for eg, on top gears track).

#1,942 ·
I just watched the unveiling video on youtube again, holy moly does it get me all excited leading up to and when it's unveiled.

Before I wasn't so sure I liked it (always loved the F1) but every time I see that and pictures of it I fall more and more in love with it. Starting to wonder if I'd rather a P1 over a F1 GTR....

#1,951 · (Edited)
I have been remiss in not sharing the rest of my Paris Motor Show P1 photos with everyone so I had some free time this afternoon to clean them up and put them on Flickr. There are about 200 in this set - click the first photo to view more or find the handy link at the bottom.

There are a few shots of the brains behind P1's greatness - Frank Stephenson and Dan Parry-Williams both pictured with F1 stylist Peter Stevens. :cool:

One of the more interesting shots is of Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann coming in for a closer look - noting how the rear of the car comes up to just above his kneecap.

My favorite angle is really this one:

Can't wait to see P1 again! :cool:

McLaren P1 - Paris Motor Show (Day 2)

>8^)
ER

#1,983 ·
P1... reload!

The North American Int'l Auto Show is ~1 month away, it'd be beyond surreal if the P1 was there as a show-stopper (on its revealing journey to Genève). Speaking of which, who's headed to die Schweiz for the formal unveiling?
I have been remiss in not sharing the rest of my Paris Motor Show P1 photos with everyone so I had some free time this afternoon to clean them up and put them on Flickr. There are about 200 in this set - click the first photo to view more or find the handy link at the bottom.

McLaren P1 - Paris Motor Show (Day 2)
Nice share, very nice. Thanks man! :cool:

P1 has arrived in the USA. Images are practically live...
Again, thanks for the head's up on this. Looks like I may have to plan my holiday (in terms of where/when) as-per in the wake of the P1's travels stateside! :D

Some more great shots! :)

See the full album here: http://bit.ly/Rmn9vv
Great set, thanks. Darn watermarks... grrr! :p

#1,956 ·
Wow Peter Stevens, I didn't know he was at the show,
It was very cool to get to say hello to Peter. He's one of the few key players in the F1 project I had not yet had the chance to meet. :cool:

Thanks to the rest of you for the kind words. :)

>8^)
ER

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.