McLaren P1 - Mega Mac-F1 Successor - Page 182 - McLaren Life

McLaren Life McLaren Forum McLaren P1, F1 ::

McLaren P1 - Mega Mac-F1 Successor

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #2716
Owner

Had a preview today at MTC, stunning, very airy, 2 interesting buttons on the steering wheel, DRS and BOOST, looked great in Volcano Yellow!

---------------------------------------------------
Morgan Aeromax - Ferrari FF -
JamesP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #2717
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Wonderfully focused.
From a man that certainly knows about Hypercar interiors in REAL LIFE instead of living solely on the Internet. And have to say I agree completely.
6th element is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #2718
DLC
InnerCircle
Owner

If one is trying to save weight, simpler is always better. Having buttons and devices scattered between dash, console and overhead console requires considerable wiring looms which can be heavy. The P1 interior is a bit more flashy than the MP4-12C Can Am car and that is spartan. It is very obvious that McLaren is thinking light.

I am very interested to see what P1 "really" weighs compared to the F-150.
DLC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #2719
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
Am I the only one that feels disappointed by the P1's interior?

It's clearly the same MP4-12C interior with a few cosmetic surgery. There is really nothing special about it, for all we know this could have been a facelifted version of the M4-12C.

Actually come to think of it, the whole P1 is just an MP4-12C with a new skin on top and some silicon breasts inside. For the price that McLaren is asking for the P1, which is 3 times the price of the MP4-12C, I expects a lot more from them.

I was told it's gonna cost me 1.15 million to buy one, at that price, I expect a new carbon tub configuration, a new, not tuned engine from the MP4-12C, bespoke interior, etc.
I agree. Hopefully it looks/is more impressive in person.

12C- Spider, Maserati GT - Convert., NSX, Spec Miata
Ritesh is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #2720
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
Had a preview today at MTC, stunning, very airy, 2 interesting buttons on the steering wheel, DRS and BOOST, looked great in Volcano Yellow!
Nice you saw the Geneva car. Paint scheme the same as Paris concept? Or is there more painted bits
widowmaker911 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #2721
InnerCircle
Owner

I think McLaren set the standard too high with the F1 and it's the same standard I applied to the P1. Maybe unreasonable on my part.

F1 has ground breaking packaging, 3 adults vs 2, ample luggage space vs serviceable, F1's styling is unique both outside and inside while the P1 seems like a evolution of the 12C both inside and out. Same for construction-wise speaking, F1 is unique while the P1 seems to build on too much of the 12C, not that the 12C is a bad car to build on.

Performance well, will have to wait as there are no real numbers for P1, F1 was out of this world when it came out.

I have to admit, I HATED the front of the P1 when it first broke cover but it has already grow on me in a short while.
Whoopsy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #2722
Owner

Again, I feel some here are missing the point. Before seeing these pics, I felt that the 12C interior was the best supercar interior I'd ever sat in and maybe the best available in any car, period. Any resemblance in the P1 could hardly be construed as a negative! That said, as much as I'd love to say my 12C has an interior on par with the P1, just looking at these three photos I can tell that the P1's cockpit (like those that have seen it in real life say) is infinitely more special. I mean it's all bare structural carbon and glass and has bespoke seats and instrumentation and everything - it's nothing like a warmed over 12C interior; only the theme is the same, which is McLaren! Why on earth would they style the interior like a Lexus LFA?

Regarding the engine and chassis, don't you think that the design planning for both included the P1 from the outset of the program? Again, this is not a case of the P1 being a tuned 12C; it's a case of the 12C having less developed incarnations of engine and chassis, due to its arrival so early in the program. You guys have it backwards. You have to remember, all the 12C's competitors in its price segment have metal frames!

Last edited by 6th element; 02-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #2723
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
Again, I feel some here are missing the point. Before seeing these pics, I felt that the 12C interior was the best supercar interior I'd ever sat in and maybe the best available in any car, period. Any resemblance in the P1 could hardly be construed as a negative! That said, as much as I'd love to say my 12C has an interior on par with the P1, just looking at these three photos I can tell that the P1's cockpit (like those that have seen it in real life say) infinitely more special. I mean it's all bare structural carbon and glass and has bespoke seats and instrumentation and everything - it's nothing like a warmed over 12C interior; only the theme is the same, which is McLaren! Why on earth would they style the interior like a Lexus LFA?

Regarding the engine and chassis, don't you think that the design planning for both included the P1 from the outset of the program? Again, this is not a case of the P1 being a tuned 12C; it's a case of the 12C having less developed incarnations of engine and chassis, due to its arrival so early in the program. You guys have it backwards. You have to remember, all the 12C's competitors in its price segment have metal frames!
I hear what your saying and to some extent I agree, BUT for over a million bucks (ok comparo with LFA over the top) I would rather have the 918 interior. don't tell me, you don't think the Porsche interior is purposeful. the car guy that you are I'm sure you agree that Porsche did it right. Everything looks so similar to the 12C, which isn't a bad thing, but again for that price point man frank should have done something awe inspiring. F1 you could use for a short weekender, P1 where would you put your stuff. There's no compartments anywhere not even a glove box
widowmaker911 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #2724
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker911 View Post
I hear what your saying and to some extent I agree, BUT for over a million bucks (ok comparo with LFA over the top) I would rather have the 918 interior. don't tell me, you don't think the Porsche interior is purposeful. the car guy that you are I'm sure you agree that Porsche did it right. Everything looks so similar to the 12C, which isn't a bad thing, but again for that price point man frank should have done something awe inspiring. F1 you could use for a short weekender, P1 where would you put your stuff. There's no compartments anywhere not even a glove box
The pics I have see of the 918 interior, it does look great, but I imagine climbing from 918 to the P1, you will notice some key differences. Part of what makes the 12C interior so great is that there is nothing fussy or distracting. You feel like you are in a machine to perform the business of going fast. There's no fluff there to try to convince you that you are something you're not. There is a focus and appeal to that, that appeals to a certain type of customer, I believe. That theme looks to be carried through to the P1.

The F1 only has the extra luggage space because of the 3 seat layout, which was ruled out for the P1. And your idea of awe inspiring is a glove box??

Again, your analogies are backwards. The F150 has an evolution of the F12's engine; does that make it any less impressive? And would it be less impressive if the F150's chassis was an evolution of the F12's? Then it would be made out of metal!! See my point? The fact that the 12C provides so much high tech an amazing cockpit for its price can hardly be used against the P1! That's ridiculous.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #2725
MPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
The pics I have see of the 918 interior, it does look great, but I imagine climbing from 918 to the P1, you will notice some key differences. Part of what makes the 12C interior so great is that there is nothing fussy or distracting. You feel like you are in a machine to perform the business of going fast. There's no fluff there to try to convince you that you are something you're not. There is a focus and appeal to that, that appeals to a certain type of customer, I believe. That theme looks to be carried through to the P1.
That's what I love about the 12c's cockpit. It's so damn tastefully done. It's the Tom Ford suit of interiors.

I know I'll get a lot of flak for saying this but I absolutely hate the interior of Pagani's and I'm so glad McLaren have gone in the complete opposite direction. It's the right thing to do. Look how gracefully the interior of the F1 has aged by not being silly.
MPB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #2726
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker911 View Post
Nice you saw the Geneva car. Paint scheme the same as Paris concept? Or is there more painted bits
It's pretty much a finished car. You can sit in it, see the dash, everything, the rear is as per the concept in terms of lights. The rear end uses the same hex mesh as per a 12cs side intakes etc.

The carbon interior looks superb, very simple and focused, floor is carbon as was just about everything else! Different to Paris car. Flaps in roof for filler and electric plug.

One thing that was telling, it's 6 seconds faster than a GT3 12c round the Catalunya racetrack !!

Morgan Aeromax - Ferrari FF -
JamesP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #2727
MPB

Quote:
One thing that was telling, it's 6 seconds faster than a GT3 12c round the Catalunya racetrack !!
MPB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #2728

~1:45 is pretty damn quick.
MitchF1GTR is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #2729
Honorary Member
InnerCircle

When I visited them I mentioned that I think the sun roof could use the kind of see through sunscreen we laminated to P 4/5's glass and sent them a sample.

Hopefully they incorporate that into customer cars.
Napolis is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #2730
Honorary Member
InnerCircle

Quote:
It's pretty much a finished car. You can sit in it, see the dash, everything, the rear is as per the concept in terms of lights. The rear end uses the same hex mesh as per a 12cs side intakes etc.

The carbon interior looks superb, very simple and focused, floor is carbon as was just about everything else! Different to Paris car. Flaps in roof for filler and electric plug.

If that time is true it will be close to our 6:51 at the Ring...

My guess of 6:55 won't have been too bad.

http://www.creventic.com/uploads/fil...After_Race.PDF
Napolis is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread
McLaren Life McLaren Forum McLaren P1, F1 McLaren P1 - Mega Mac-F1 Successor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.