Working a deal, Dealer "Qualified" comes with 1yr warranty right? - McLaren Life
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Working a deal, Dealer "Qualified" comes with 1yr warranty right?

Sales person does not seem to agree

13' Black 12C Spyder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-08-2017, 09:45 PM

Dealers will vary of course, but just going by the words I would say no. To me "Qualified" would mean you can get the warranty without having to pay for an inspection and additional repairs, but the warranty is still a separate purchase.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-08-2017, 10:28 PM

agreed, McLaren terminology is weird. It likely has some of the existing warranty left by the previous owner.

they can print out the warranty information for you. I think you will have to negotiate extra warranty

post #4 of 17 Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 PM

Garage
My car was a "Qualified" car when I bought it from a McLaren dealer and they gave me an extra year of extended warranty beyond the original warranty. It was always my understanding that a "Qualified" car would come with this extra year warranty from McLaren.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-09-2017, 04:05 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn C View Post
Sales person does not seem to agree
"Qualified" is simply McLaren's name for "Certified Pre-Owned". A Qualified car is eligible for a (paid) extension of the 3-year factory warranty, but it doesn't necessarily come with that extension.

Daily drivers:
1994 NSX - Brooklands Green with 300K+ miles
2012 12C - Racing Green with fewer miles (but still 3rd-highest USA, 13th-highest worldwide)
post #6 of 17 Old 05-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy155 View Post
Dealers will vary of course, but just going by the words I would say no. To me "Qualified" would mean you can get the warranty without having to pay for an inspection and additional repairs, but the warranty is still a separate purchase.
This - Qualified means it doesn't need to be additionally inspected. McLaren has "certified" that this car is up to par and is eligible to have the extended warranty bought and placed on the car.

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
post #7 of 17 Old 05-09-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. Do any of you think its worth it if the car was just certified to put a years warranty on it? It only has 3500 miles on it.

13' Black 12C Spyder
post #8 of 17 Old 05-09-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
This - Qualified means it doesn't need to be additionally inspected. McLaren has "certified" that this car is up to par and is eligible to have the extended warranty bought and placed on the car.
Hey Troy, I follow your Youtube channel

13' Black 12C Spyder
post #9 of 17 Old 05-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Do any of you think its worth it if the car was just certified to put a years warranty on it? It only has 3500 miles on it.
Quote:
Hey Troy, I follow your Youtube channel
Hey! - Appreciate the support!

As for the warranty, yes. I'd get it. Parts are very expensive on these cars (doesn't mean they're not reliable) - it also helps with resale if you choose to sell the car with the warranty still on it.

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

post #10 of 17 Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 PM

Garage
I would definitely get it especially with the low miles as it hasn't been driven as much. With these cars I don't believe less is better. Mine was certified and came with 1 yr from dealer and he offered a second yr at a discount.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 PM
VIN:15XX
Owner

I always though "McLaren Qualified" cars came with a minimum warranty obligation - at least 12 or even 24 mths?
post #12 of 17 Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
"Qualified" is simply McLaren's name for "Certified Pre-Owned". A Qualified car is eligible for a (paid) extension of the 3-year factory warranty, but it doesn't necessarily come with that extension.
This is what I was told.

13' Black 12C Spyder
post #13 of 17 Old 05-17-2017, 02:57 PM

When I bought mine from Newport, they gave me a year as part of the negotiation. It is a good thing to request to "seal the deal".
FatFrank likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-17-2017, 03:52 PM

It's not free unless the dealer pays for it. Qualified means it qualified for the warranty, but it's still up to you if you want to pay for it. It's $3500/year.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
It's not free unless the dealer pays for it. Qualified means it qualified for the warranty, but it's still up to you if you want to pay for it. It's $3500/year.
$4500, but it's negotiable. I believe the price has gone up from that however this year (or will be).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.