Here's a new one...Start Button Fault - McLaren Life
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By AWH
  • 1 Post By AWH

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
AWH

Here's a new one...Start Button Fault

Spent the day at COTA turning several tanks of fuel into brake dust and tire shavings.

At the end of the day, after last session was complete, stopped on pit lane to pack up my stuff. Car would not restart. Message on display was

Start Button Fault - Call McLaren Service Center

Windows were down and ebrake was on. Car was VERY hot, having just come off of track on a high 80-degree day. Center console was also very hot, with the sun directly on it.

Tried lots of ways to reset it. Walk away/sleep/reawaken...OBD scan tool Reset All Codes...disconnect/reconnect battery...no dice. Thought I was going to have to leave the car on pit lane overnight with the windows down.

Texts to service personnel at both Houston and Philly (Thanks for the weekend support, guys!) revealed "never seen that one before".

Eventually was able to get the windows up by repeatedly pushing the Start button while holding the window switch up. Didn't work on the ebrake, though.

Finally was able to power-up by sitting in car with both doors closed, and then locking/unlocking. That reset something and the car started. Drove it to garage, turned off and tried to restart. Fault reappeared. Was able to repeat the lock/unlock sequence to start again, but clearly something is amiss.

Anybody ever seen this one before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 05:56 PM

Luckily it wasn't a "stop" button fault.

In all seriousness, I have ran across "hot start" issues in Porsche 944s and the problem was the starter itself, but it seems that in your case you had trouble even turning the key on, right?

Never ran across this on the McLaren, but then again, I haven't tracked it in hot and humid TX.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago in my 650... service manager said to hold down brake "hard" and HOLD start button ... that did the trick... and the issue hasn't sprung up since.... (knocking on wood)

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC

post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
AWH

Overnight stay in a cool garage and it works as designed again.

So it basically overheated. Texting with a tech at PhillyMac says that all those switches in the pod are a single serviceable electronic unit, not individual assemblies.

I'm going to sit the car out in the sun later this week and see if the problem reappears. I'm also going to carry a can of electrician's freeze spray in the car for awhile...
J1n likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
That's a new one to me. And I've left the car sitting in BROILING desert sun all across the country, 114 in savanah, 117 near death valley. For hours. Interesting, I wonder what's going on that rattling the other switches gets it to work.

Thanks for sharing the experience, please let us know if you figure out anything further.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
AWH

Update...does not appear to be heat-related as it happened again this am on first attempted start when the car was cool. Also happened yesterday at the end of a track day, repeating the COTA episode. But only briefly this time.

We pulled codes on Friday at the dealership and found both a Start button fault and a neutral switch fault. The latter may actually be the root cause, as you can't start the car unless it thinks you are in neutral.

Car will be visiting the service dept this week for further diag. Stay tuned...
smokeygt likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 11:30 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8blst View Post
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago in my 650... service manager said to hold down brake "hard" and HOLD start button ... that did the trick... and the issue hasn't sprung up since.... (knocking on wood)
Had a similar issue, nothing heat related, just wouldn't start, and this did the job for me as well.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenguy28 View Post
Had a similar issue, nothing heat related, just wouldn't start, and this did the job for me as well.
Did either of you actually get a "Start Button Fault" message on the left hand display?

Or did the car simply not start when the button was pushed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.