Need help ASAP. Battery too low/dead, can't open door or hood! - McLaren Life
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Need help ASAP. Battery too low/dead, can't open door or hood!

I have a 12C coupe swiper. I've removed the side blade panel and tried putting the manual key in but it doesn't do anything. I've tried twisting it every way I can and the door doesn't open.

How else can I open the hood? There is a post referencing the fender liner hood release but the post isn't accessible for some reason.

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-18-2017, 10:25 PM
MBG
Owner

I remember ZP had the answers. See this:

My battery died and couldn't open the door

MBG

Stay in school kids!

2012 McLaren MP4-12C, Standard Blue, HRE S204 (color matched)
2015 Lamborghini Huracan 610-4, Bianco Icarus / Nero Ade / Rosso Alala, FI Exhaust
2016 Infiniti QX80, a.k.a. "Tankamus" - will run over the McL or Lambo
Instagram: MBGCars
post #3 of 16 Old 03-18-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Jesus this car is a pain in the ass if the battery dies.

WTF is the point of the manual locks near the sideblade if they don't work?!

For future reference if anyone has to do this, the trunk wire is literally straight up. It's not deeper in the wheel well like I though it would be, it's like straight up from the edge of the liner, you don't reach in, you reach up.

Hopefully the battery is fine and just can be charged... trickle charger got the juice flowing, so hopefully the battery holds a charge reasonably well still. Fucking power was out here due to a wind storm, killing power to the garage and trapping the car inside it, during which time the battery got too low.

Last edited by noone2; 03-18-2017 at 11:42 PM.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
power was out here due to a wind storm, killing power to the garage and trapping the car inside it, during which time the battery got too low.
That sucks. How long was the car sitting without the battery being charged? Typically when I park my car the battery monitor advises something like 45 days til dead, but I don't trust that for a moment. I usually plug the charger in if it sits more than a day or two, but yeah, a power outage screws that up...but most outages only last a day or so at the most - unless you are in the boonies? Anyway, interested to hear how long it took for the battery to get into trouble.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary(SF) View Post
That sucks. How long was the car sitting without the battery being charged? Typically when I park my car the battery monitor advises something like 45 days til dead, but I don't trust that for a moment. I usually plug the charger in if it sits more than a day or two, but yeah, a power outage screws that up...but most outages only last a day or so at the most - unless you are in the boonies? Anyway, interested to hear how long it took for the battery to get into trouble.
Honestly, it was less than a month, which is weird.

I think I took it off the trickle on Feb 20-ish when it was fully charged and today it was dead. It was actually pretty warm for most of that time too. I was really surprised it was dead in only a few weeks. I feel like I've let the car sit for like 3 weeks before and it had tons of power still. No idea how it died in like 25 days...
Gary(SF) likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 01:12 AM

The battery is weird. I've allowed my car to sit for months without the battery draining more than 5 or 10%, then about two months ago it went to 0% in less than a week. Fortunately there was just enough juice to allow me to open the frunk and plug in the charger. It charged up to 30% within a day, sat at 30-35% for about a week then went all the way up to 100%. It's been sitting off the charger since then and is still at 95% (just checked). I wonder if one of the auxiliary systems was left on somehow... on a few occasions I've locked up the car and seen IRIS still powered on (music playing and everything), had to open it back up and cycle aux power to get everything shut off properly.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 AM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy155 View Post
I wonder if one of the auxiliary systems was left on somehow... on a few occasions I've locked up the car and seen IRIS still powered on (music playing and everything), had to open it back up and cycle aux power to get everything shut off properly.
I drained mine like this one time.

In hindsight, I think I had turned the car back on with a single press of the Start button, foot off the brake. And then left it that way.

British electrics... <sigh>
post #8 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Owner

Quote:
I have a 12C coupe swiper. I've removed the side blade panel and tried putting the manual key in but it doesn't do anything. I've tried twisting it every way I can and the door doesn't open.

How else can I open the hood? There is a post referencing the fender liner hood release but the post isn't accessible for some reason.

HELP!
After you insert the key you have to push the door a bit to be able to turn the key.
Just trying to turn the key does usually not work.
Be aware that the door window can crack when you try to open the door.
This is why you should leave the window a bit down when you park your car in your garage.

650S MSO
post #9 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another one View Post
After you insert the key you have to push the door a bit to be able to turn the key.
Just trying to turn the key does usually not work.
Be aware that the door window can crack when you try to open the door.
This is why you should leave the window a bit down when you park your car in your garage.
I definitely was shaking the door. The key would turn a little and I can feel something moving inside, but it definitely wasn't opening.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Owner

careful, don't smash the window! same thing happened to my cousin, he pulled the door and the window imploded...

2015 McLaren 650S Spider - 10.3 @ 137.4 MPH
2016 Lamborghini Huracan - 10.4 @ 131 MPH
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider
2005 Ford GT Heffner GT700
2016 Tesla Model S P100D - 10.7 @ 123 MPH
2016 Tesla Model X P90D
post #11 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Fortunately the car had automatically lowered the windows. It should do that on every car when the battery gets low specifically for this reason.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Owner

Quote:
I definitely was shaking the door. The key would turn a little and I can feel something moving inside, but it definitely wasn't opening.
It was a while since this happened to my 12C but as i remember it i had to push the door pretty hard to be able to turn the key. I´m not sure that shaking is the way to go but maybe we all end up doing it if the damn door does not unlock

Then again, the doors have always been a bit of a pain to close so maybe yours is badly aligned? I would have it checked during next service.
Good that you got it sorted anyway.

When this happend to my car the battery was stone dead and the trickle charger would not charge the battery. I had to dig out the battery, disconnect it, use an oldfashioned booster for five minutes and after that the trickle worked.

650S MSO

Last edited by Another one; 03-19-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Owner

Quote:
I was really surprised it was dead in only a few weeks. I feel like I've let the car sit for like 3 weeks before and it had tons of power still. No idea how it died in like 25 days...
Were any of the key fobs close to the car (i.e., within a couple meters, even on the other side of a wall)? If so, the passive-entry system might have been powered up the whole time.

Daily drivers:
1994 NSX - Brooklands Green with 300K+ miles
2012 12C - Racing Green with fewer miles (but still 3rd-highest USA, 13th-highest worldwide)
post #14 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Were any of the key fobs close to the car (i.e., within a couple meters, even on the other side of a wall)? If so, the passive-entry system might have been powered up the whole time.
Thanks. I can confirm. I could never understand why owners had problems with discharging batteries as my 675LT lost only about 1% charge per week and I did not bother to connect the charger for periods of 5 weeks. Until I made the mistake to leave the key inside the car for two days and the battery was down to 23%! Now I understand why. Luckily I noticed it in time.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 06:20 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

*runs to garage and checks that trickle charger is plugged in* Phew...

My 12C is a weekend warrior, so I see an average of 1-5% drop in battery per week without charging, sometimes more. The variability is crazy. As such, I leave that thing plugged in at all times when not driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.