12C or new GT3? - McLaren Life
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

12C or new GT3?

Thinking about taking the plunge and getting a used 12C. Has to be orange (I think). Probably a spider, since there are so few tradeoffs in the 12C platform. Budget may put me closer to a coupe however.

I would be moving from a 911 4S, which I love and which I would like to avoid selling... but likely will if I upgrade to something in this price range.

Posted here a week or two ago on getting a 12C and what to consider. Now I wanted input from the McLaren side of things on pros/cons of getting a 12C vs. getting a brand new 991.2 (next facelift) GT3. Which will of course also have to be orange.

Maybe this is a bit apples/oranges but my expectations are:
1) Both will be a blast to drive
2) Both are similar-ish in terms of performance (slight edge to the 12C, I think, but probably not much)
3) Both will cost me a similar amount up-front (after adding a warranty to the 12C...)
4) I expect both will hold value pretty well (can't envision either dropping below $100K in next 5 years, other than following a big market shock)

In both cases, and even for my current 4S, they would be weekend cars only. Figure about 1k-3k miles per year.

Appreciate thoughts and feedback. Realize it is a personal preference decision...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 06:34 PM

Garage
Hands down the 12c in my opinion. I owned a 2005 Carrera S Cab. Great car, great reliability low maintenance cost but no "it " factor. When I looked to upgrade I considered a Turbo S, GT3 or GT3RS. The problem is all the high end
Porsches while great cars look the same and feel the same.

I bought my 12c and love it because it drives great, you have a normal suspension setting that won't rattle your kidneys which the GT3 doesn't. Also it has the "it" factor. You rarely see another one. People love to take pictures and look at your
car. For me with my love of sports cars this car combines performance with exotic that you won't get from Porsche except the 918.

Of all the cars I have owned the 12c and I am sure the 570 and 650s will do the same, combines all of the things I have looked for in a car into one car....At an incredibly reasonable price compared to other exotics.
post #3 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM

Garage
12c hands down if you want something more exciting to drive. If you want to blend in then the gt3 in manual would be a nice choice. You just get sooo much more for your money w the 12c. Carbon tub, active aero, active suspension, twin turbo / rwd, amazing handling and looks and feels like an occasion to drive.

Porsches are great... but Imo overvalued vs. 12c which is undervalued and the better car & deal. Get one before others fig this out and price go up on the 12c's.
bbeavers, RonMathMD and future01 like this.

post #4 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 07:10 PM
isv
Owner

If you can get the gt3 at list without markup get it. It's almost a no risk trade (perhaps less so in the US where you are vs the UK).

The 12c's will always be there and Mclaren are making variations on the same theme (turbo, dual clutch, mid engine sports car), there aren't very many new NA 9k rpm cars you can get so the gt3 genuinely offers something different. You can always sell the gt3 for little or no loss within a few months if you really still want the 12c but at least then you can make the choice between the 2.
17bhub likes this.
post #5 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 07:32 PM
2012 12C Coupe - VR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by future01 View Post
Hands down the 12c in my opinion. I owned a 2005 Carrera S Cab. Great car, great reliability low maintenance cost but no "it " factor. When I looked to upgrade I considered a Turbo S, GT3 or GT3RS. The problem is all the high end
Porsches while great cars look the same and feel the same.

I bought my 12c and love it because it drives great, you have a normal suspension setting that won't rattle your kidneys which the GT3 doesn't. Also it has the "it" factor. You rarely see another one. People love to take pictures and look at your
car. For me with my love of sports cars this car combines performance with exotic that you won't get from Porsche except the 918.

Of all the cars I have owned the 12c and I am sure the 570 and 650s will do the same, combines all of the things I have looked for in a car into one car....At an incredibly reasonable price compared to other exotics.
+1

I completely agree. I contemplated the same thing (used 12C vs used GT3 or Turbo S) when I got my 12C a little over a year ago. The 12C is so much more exciting to drive and own than a Porsche. The PCC suspension is wonderful (reasonably gentle yet handles so well). The car is lightening quick. The DCT SSG transmission shifts gears so fast. The 12C is a true EXOTIC SUPERCAR whereas the Porsches are sports cars.

The only issue you may have with the 12C is the extreme amount of attention you get. You can't go anywhere without drawing attention. All 911s (even GT3s and TTSs) just get passed over in parking lots and gas stations (at least here in So Cal). The amount of attention you get with a 12C is ridiculous. You just need to remember to be polite and kind to everyone who comes up to you with questions and compliments...
bbeavers and KenU like this.
post #6 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
get the 12c drive it and let it keep you company until the gt3 comes out. if you like the 12c then keep it, if not go into the gt3.

I'm assuming you won't get the new gt3 for a while.
17bhub likes this.
post #7 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 08:24 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

I think you will be surprised how the 12C is beyond he Porsche in terms of performance. It's comparing a sports car to a legitimate supercar. Different leagues despite auto journalist reviews.

I went from 911 TTS to the 12C and it was a bit step up in many regards. Plus it has billionaire doors!

All that said, the GT3 will be a great investment car. Buy list if possible, keep for a year, the sell at 1.25-1.5 list (same as 991.1 GT3 was doing).
post #8 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Great responses (even if a bit biased, though not unexpectedly so!).

The attention aspect is funny... being in Michigan has meant that I get an unusual amount of attention even in my somewhat under-the-radar 911, if only because it isn't a vette or mustang. I can only imagine what an orange 12C would do, though I don't think an orange GT3 is going to be all that subtle either.

The super car aspect of it is pretty alluring. I used to be a big fan of Ferrari but I've found their customer treatment pretty poor overall and no longer really lust over the cars.

Porsche has treated me very well and I'm a big fan of the brand and the product, even if most of what I see on the road today are their SUVs doing grocery store runs. The GT3 will be much more familiar and less of a "step up" in many respects, including for the reasons many of you have mentioned. Though I don't really think there is a whole lot of performance gap at that level vs. a 12C. Porsche is notoriously conservative with their stats and are estimating 3.2 sec 0-60 time, which likely means it is going to be a sub-3 second, naturally aspirated rwd car. Pretty impressive!

I am guessing that driving a 12C is more of an event. The thought of having one in my garage...
post #9 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 PM
Sponsor

I will probably never buy another porsche sports car after driving a McLaren. I owned 911s and Cayman. No comparison, at all. Well, except resale on some models.
post #10 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
Great responses (even if a bit biased, though not unexpectedly so!).

The attention aspect is funny... being in Michigan has meant that I get an unusual amount of attention even in my somewhat under-the-radar 911, if only because it isn't a vette or mustang. I can only imagine what an orange 12C would do, though I don't think an orange GT3 is going to be all that subtle either.

The super car aspect of it is pretty alluring. I used to be a big fan of Ferrari but I've found their customer treatment pretty poor overall and no longer really lust over the cars.

Porsche has treated me very well and I'm a big fan of the brand and the product, even if most of what I see on the road today are their SUVs doing grocery store runs. The GT3 will be much more familiar and less of a "step up" in many respects, including for the reasons many of you have mentioned. Though I don't really think there is a whole lot of performance gap at that level vs. a 12C. Porsche is notoriously conservative with their stats and are estimating 3.2 sec 0-60 time, which likely means it is going to be a sub-3 second, naturally aspirated rwd car. Pretty impressive!

I am guessing that driving a 12C is more of an event. The thought of having one in my garage...
Get the 12c... the porsche gt3 manual is one of the best Porsche's youll have an opportunity to get, but between the two, you get sooo much more with the mcLaren. I grew up in Michigan, I would love to bring my Mclaren back to east Lansing to see the responses maybe road trip this summer from Chicago.
post #11 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 09:00 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Find Chris Harris' YouTube video on comparing the GT3RS vs Aston Martin GT12 vs 650s. There is an unquestionable performance gap from the best of Porsche (barring 918) to the Big Boys. The 12c and 650s are very similar so not much in it there. Then go drive a 12C.

After that, the performance gap should be more real than speculation for you.

Either way you go, can't lose!
post #12 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 PM
VIN:15XX
Owner

12C all day
post #13 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 11:24 PM

"slight edge to the 12c???" LOL!

The GT3 is a special car that provides a different experience, but having gone from a GT3 to a 12c I can tell you they are nowhere near close in performance except maybe on a very tight track, regardless of the 500hp the new now will have.

Much wider breadth of ability in the 12c in my opinion, and while GT3's are relatively rare, the 12c is rarer still.

With what the 12c's are currently listing for, it's an absolute no brainer.
post #14 of 72 Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 PM

I'm curious what type of driving you do that would make you change from a 4s to a GT3?

if its just "because and for fun" I get that.

If you worry about reliability and updated technology get the gt3. you will have full support, easy to get things taken care of and plenty of indy shops and dealers to chose from.

for something different, you got to get your self into a spyder 12c. And be prepared to deal with the headaches if there are any. expensive dealers/so so support
warranty cost.

I think the 12c at any year, currently will have minimal depreciation, so it might be worth it to try it out. if you dont like it, back to the 991.2 is easy.
post #15 of 72 Old 03-18-2017, 12:22 AM
CPB

I'd take a GT3 over a 12C.

Have a 570GT and really love driving it. But McLaren has moved past the 12C. GT3 for me, still love Porsches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.