Rough suspension help - test drive in LA? - McLaren Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Rough suspension help - test drive in LA?

Hey all.

I am fairly certain the accumulators on my suspension have given out. The car is a 2012 12c with about 15k miles. I brought it to McLaren BH and the tech suggested that all was fine. The suspension is much rougher than I would expect, especially over any large bumps, hence my question:

Is anyone with a 12c in the LA area willing to meet up and take me for a quick ride around the block (I would of course return the favor) to see if it is just me or if there is an issue with my car's suspension? I am located in Tarzana, 91356.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-14-2017, 03:13 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

The accumulators on my car kicked the bucket right around that mileage as well, but there was no outward sign that they were bad. It just felt like the car was in track mode 100% of the time and I'd get an occasional PCC malfunction error. My dealership couldn't find anything wrong so they got in touch with the guys in England, who said to go ahead and swap out the accumulators. Problem solved. I think the issue was that they leak internally so it looks like everything is fine, so just have your dealership push the issue with the factory.
ZombiePhysicist likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-14-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

That's exactly how my car feels! The ride is so bad my wife refuses to drive in the car with me anymore.

I will push the issue with my service center and see what they can do. Thanks!

post #4 of 16 Old 03-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Accumulators. Mine need replacing too I believe. Someone even commented how rough the ride was. When you hit a bump in Normal and it bangs your arm, it's pretty obvious something is wrong.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-15-2017, 03:56 AM

Price to replace the accumulators?
post #6 of 16 Old 03-15-2017, 05:47 AM
2012 12C Coupe - VR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtkeller View Post
Price to replace the accumulators?
I heard it was about $2000.
I got a hard time about it from McNB as well under warranty. Service advisor thought my car felt normal.
Hydraulic pump is on all of the time (high pitched whine) and my ride is rough too without too much difference between NORMAL and TRACK.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-15-2017, 02:17 PM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMathMD View Post
I heard it was about $2000.
I got a hard time about it from McNB as well under warranty. Service advisor thought my car felt normal.
Hydraulic pump is on all of the time (high pitched whine) and my ride is rough too without too much difference between NORMAL and TRACK.
If the pump is always on, service personnel should be able to log that with the MDS on a test drive.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-15-2017, 03:40 PM

Depending on how bad it is, I don't think anyone in there right mind would say a car in much need of accumulators feels normal. It literally feels like driving in track mode with every bump. A moderate pot hole will rattle you and bang your arm on the arm rest.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-15-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
Depending on how bad it is, I don't think anyone in there right mind would say a car in much need of accumulators feels normal. It literally feels like driving in track mode with every bump. A moderate pot hole will rattle you and bang your arm on the arm rest.
Yup. Brought the car in today and they are looking into it. Should be an accumulator swap. I will report back with results.

Thanks for the help guys!
RonMathMD likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-16-2017, 03:32 AM
2012 12C Coupe - VR

Garage
Keep us posted, please. My car is going in for service in a week and I am hoping to get the accumulators replaced under warranty.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-16-2017, 02:29 PM

Garage
If the accumulators go bad will that affect the handling or will it just be like having the car in track mode all the time. I've noticed that my 2012 12c does not ride as smooth as it did went new. There is still a noticble difference between normal, sport and track but I thought the harder ride was from the Michelin PCS2 tires. Maybe my accumulators are going too?
post #12 of 16 Old 03-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc MD4-12C View Post
If the accumulators go bad will that affect the handling or will it just be like having the car in track mode all the time. I've noticed that my 2012 12c does not ride as smooth as it did went new. There is still a noticeable difference between normal, sport and track but I thought the harder ride was from the Michelin PCS2 tires. Maybe my accumulators are going too?
It's a noticeable rougher ride. It will crash harder over bumps in all three settings. It will feel like three variations of track mode. If it doesn't feel like the day you got it, it's the accumulators. The new design fixes this.
Doc MD4-12C likes this.

2012 MP4-12C Alpha 7 - Fire Black
post #13 of 16 Old 03-16-2017, 07:08 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

In addition to riding like you're in track mode all the time, the steering might get a bit spotty at times. It happens infrequently but it will occasionally get a "dead" feeling since the hydraulic system manages steering as well as suspension.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 09:44 PM

did u sort this out? I'm in 91011 if u still need the help
post #15 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Dropped the car off on 3/15. Hopefully I'll get an update on the work early this week. I'll report back when I get the car on the road again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.