up in the air on a used 12C - McLaren Life
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

up in the air on a used 12C

First off I truly believe the 12C is a great car. I have been in the market for one but really worried about repair costs. I have heard stories of $50k bills and that would just kill any fun of owning this car. Its not clear if an extended warranty can be obtained on a car bought form a private party. Another issue is that independent auto repair shops don't have access to the info to service the car and therefore locked into dealership for service. There is not a local dealer (San Diego area) and would need to go to the Newport Beach Dealer - not very convenient.

do current owners worry about excessive repair costs? That looks like it may be negatively impacting vehicle values compared to a 458.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-04-2017, 09:38 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Welcome to the Board!

The 12C is truly an incredible machine and has no equal for even for twice the money! It is destined to go down in history as the greatest super car bargain of the century.

You can purchase an extended warranty if you purchase from a private party, the stipulation is that the dealer will require a pre-warranty inspection to be completed first for approximately 1700.00.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-04-2017, 10:49 PM

It should also be noted that some dealers will discount the inspection if you end up purchasing the warranty through them (check with your dealer). A PPI with a McLaren dealer is a must for a car without a warranty, as you will be required to fix anything they find wrong before they will issue a warranty. That's really one of the big reasons prices for 12cs are running ~ $10k-$15k less at independent dealers vs a McLaren dealer. Of course, if the party you're buying from already has the warranty on the car then the balance of the term will transfer to you and you don't have to worry about any of this.

My total costs over 3 years of ownership (had I not had a warranty) would have totaled about $6500-$7500 which isn't bad and less than I paid for the extended warranty. That said, I will be extending it "just in case".

Last edited by fluffy155; 02-04-2017 at 10:55 PM.

post #4 of 29 Old 02-04-2017, 11:08 PM

Call Joe (service manager) at Newport McLaren. He is very helpful. Or Jeramy (sales manager). They might have a car, come close to a price for you and then no hassle. The them Scott (2014 Titanium Spider) sent you)
post #5 of 29 Old 02-05-2017, 01:17 AM
Owner

Do you have your eye on a particular car? At a McLaren dealer, or independent dealer?

I bought my car from an independent dealer. Before the purchase, I floated the VIN around, and a good Samaritan on this forum checked the VIN with his dealer -- who said it was a good car. Indeed it was a good car, no prior engine or transm. issues.

But b/c I was buying from an Indy, I suspected there would be hidden error-codes. And sure enough, there were! It would take appr. 150 miles for them to light, so I had no idea after my test drive. Long story, short, got everything sorted at McL Houston and nothing serious; these cars just have to be sorted and serviced correctly. For example, wrong antifreeze used at indy. One code error was faulty/malfunction CATS. Free replacement due to federal law, but I suspect indy just wanted to avoid the issue. Bottom line: You may face a serious, hidden issue from any car (Ferrari, Lambo, McL, etc.), but try to check the VIN, and if you buy from an Indy, plan on a quick service at a McL dealer to double check for any issues.

I took more risk going with the Indy, but it was the color combo I wanted. If I had to do over, I would hope for a dealer car with a warranty, just for additional peace of mind.

I did spend an extra 5k on issues, but no matter, my car is great !
post #6 of 29 Old 02-05-2017, 01:24 AM

I have owned my 2012 MP4-12c coupe for over 2 years now and love it! My bills would have been around 6-8k mark (Canadian Dollars) if I did not have the warranty. I had my windshield crack a few months ago for no reason I think it was a pressure crack and Mclaren covered this fully after some back and forth. I will be purchasing the extended warranty from the dealer for $12,500 plus the beautiful 13% tax for 2 more years. Anyone know how many years you can keep extending with Mclaren and than what about aftermarket?
post #7 of 29 Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie27 View Post
I have heard stories of $50k bills
I haven't. I've heard of rare cases where McLaren paid tens of thousands of dollars to cover defects under warranty, but that's a $0K bill to the owner.

Daily drivers:
1994 NSX - Brooklands Green with 300K+ miles
2012 12C - Racing Green with fewer miles (but still 3rd-highest USA, 13th-highest worldwide)
post #8 of 29 Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77MP4 View Post
I have owned my 2012 MP4-12c coupe for over 2 years now and love it! My bills would have been around 6-8k mark (Canadian Dollars) if I did not have the warranty. I had my windshield crack a few months ago for no reason I think it was a pressure crack and Mclaren covered this fully after some back and forth. I will be purchasing the extended warranty from the dealer for $12,500 plus the beautiful 13% tax for 2 more years. Anyone know how many years you can keep extending with Mclaren and than what about aftermarket?
12 years (minus a day) is the maximum.
post #9 of 29 Old 02-06-2017, 04:44 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

If you're considering buying a $150,000+ car, it shouldn't be too much of an issue throwing in the ~$8-9k for an inspection and warranty if you are worried about big repair bills. Given the cost of McLaren replacement parts and the "what ifs" of a major component failure, the warranty is a nice comfort to have.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Just buy a nice low mileage one with warranty.

Checkout mine I the for sale section. It's under warranty and only has 3,000 miles.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Garage
458's may be as expensive or more to repair with as high probability of something going wrong. The 12c is a very reliable car imo. Try and get a warranty if you concerned. I currently have warranty and thinking it may not be worth it to extend cause I am betting the car will continue to be reliable.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-08-2017, 02:24 PM
InnerCircle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
458's may be as expensive or more to repair with as high probability of something going wrong. The 12c is a very reliable car imo. Try and get a warranty if you concerned. I currently have warranty and thinking it may not be worth it to extend cause I am betting the car will continue to be reliable.
i guess you go to Vegas because it appears you like to gamble.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Garage
you are gambling buying the warranty in perpetuity as well. at 5k+ a year on in warranty costs it will start to add up quickly. Its a bet either way. The warranty company is betting it will make money on us.

Now if i had a P1 you bet i would be getting the warranty for as long as they offered it. cause what is 5k (assuming thats all they change for a p1) in relation to $2m. I think everyone has to look at it and see if it makes sense for you. I've had good luck w my car and no indication to have concerns. Of the stories of repairs being high most were high as the dealer was covering them. If everyone was paying out of pocket i think you would see more realistic repair numbers and work around fixes like what we have seen recently w the trans. (40k replacement vs. $5 fix in sealant). Its all speculation... but i dont think these cars are any less reliable than a 458 or huracan where several of their owners own their cars w/oi concern out of warranty.

I haven't decided yet... my warranty is good through Aug right now. Just providing my perspective i think these are largely solid / reliable cars for what they are (supercars).
post #14 of 29 Old 02-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhmmax View Post
i guess you go to Vegas because it appears you like to gamble.
If he doesn't gamble, he should: probably the luckiest person in the world to have a very reliable McLaren!

current stable;
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C
- 2006 Ford GT
- 2014 Range Rover HSE SC
- 1999 Kubota 480L tractor
- 1965 Mustang GT350R clone
- Rolls Royce Meteor V-12 tank engine!!
post #15 of 29 Old 02-08-2017, 04:00 PM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner

Garage
I don't understand why anyone would roll the dice with the warranty being available to them. Yes, I agree that the $5,000.00 is quite a chunk of change for warranty, but it certainly gives me peace of mind while driving down the road. We have to realize that we are in a piece of machinery and each and every day we are putting stress on specific parts of this giant machine... Something, at some point, is bound to break! I've owned my car for just under two months and it's already getting warranty work done now. The common air bag sensor failure and tail light condensation is occurring on my 12C. I bet if I was out of warranty, the air bag sensor replacement would be a couple thousand and the tail lights are probably high priced too! I would be willing to bet that this would already equal to or more expensive than my warranty cost.

Current: 2012 McLaren MP4-12C - McLaren Orange / Carbon Black
Past: 2014 Audi R8 V10 / 2012 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante / 2011 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory / 2010 Audi R8 V10 / 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner / 2009 Audi R8 V8 / 2009 Nissan GTR / 2009 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG / 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.