LED or brighter light bulbs? - McLaren Life
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bbywu
  • 1 Post By SFBayArea
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 191
LED or brighter light bulbs?

Just wondering if anyone installed brighter light bulbs or LED in their headlight?
SFBayArea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
McLaren Convert
Owner
 
bbywu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 335
Bulbs for the headlight are D3S. I'm not sure if LED bulbs are available as a conversion for them.

I have used Philips 6K bulbs since last year. A little greater spectrum field of light at night.

Headlight bulb
ZombiePhysicist likes this.

2013 MP4-12C Spider

2013 Audi S4
2012 MP4-12C coupe (sold)
2008 997 GT2 (sold)
2007 997 TT Ruf RTurbo conversion (sold)
2005 Cayenne Turbo (120K miles now sold)
2002 996 TT Protomotive tuned (sold)
bbywu is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbywu View Post
Bulbs for the headlight are D3S. I'm not sure if LED bulbs are available as a conversion for them.

I have used Philips 6K bulbs since last year. A little greater spectrum field of light at night.

Headlight bulb

Thank you. That is a good post you pasted.

Do you see any more. better light with the 6k bulbs?
Reason I am asking is that I have placed tinted film on my headlights to cover the outer shell deterioration, hence, now I am thinking I need a little more light to punch through that tinted film.
SFBayArea is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 PM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner
 
SSIIICK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 64
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
Thank you. That is a good post you pasted.

Do you see any more. better light with the 6k bulbs?
Reason I am asking is that I have placed tinted film on my headlights to cover the outer shell deterioration, hence, now I am thinking I need a little more light to punch through that tinted film.
What made you go with tinted film instead of just a clear bra film for the headlights? Mine has a clear bra installed on the entire front end including the headlights and they look brand new.

Current: 2012 McLaren MP4-12C - McLaren Orange / Carbon Black
Past: 2014 Audi R8 V10 / 2012 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante / 2011 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory / 2010 Audi R8 V10 / 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner / 2009 Audi R8 V8 / 2009 Nissan GTR / 2009 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG / 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
SSIIICK is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIIICK View Post
What made you go with tinted film instead of just a clear bra film for the headlights? Mine has a clear bra installed on the entire front end including the headlights and they look brand new.
My outer shell of the passenger headlight started to cheap out. Clear film would show it, hence, had to mask it with the tinted film.
SSIIICK likes this.
SFBayArea is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 135
Does anyone know what bulb the DRL use? I wont mind of those were brighter if there are replacements.
carbon is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 05:38 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 862
Isn't best light output usually 4300k?
MP4Dream is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 AM
McLaren Convert
Owner
 
bbywu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 335
I would think the best temperature should match daylight. After all, humans see in the visual spectrum of daylight. I think 4800K is closest? The Philips bulbs I purchased measured about 106 Lux at 25 feet.

2013 MP4-12C Spider

2013 Audi S4
2012 MP4-12C coupe (sold)
2008 997 GT2 (sold)
2007 997 TT Ruf RTurbo conversion (sold)
2005 Cayenne Turbo (120K miles now sold)
2002 996 TT Protomotive tuned (sold)
bbywu is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbywu View Post
I would think the best temperature should match daylight. After all, humans see in the visual spectrum of daylight. I think 4800K is closest? The Philips bulbs I purchased measured about 106 Lux at 25 feet.
Any idea how many Lux stock light bulb puts out?
SFBayArea is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome