Can you add applications to the IRIS? - McLaren Life
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By OT997TT
  • 1 Post By Sailingmagnus

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Can you add applications to the IRIS?

Hey guys, still learning about my car and since I just got my IRIS fixed few weeks ago, been toying with it and thinking it would be nice to add third party applications to the IRIS like WAZE for instance. Is there a way to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Owner

Garage
570S here, there isn't a way to add third party applications to my IRIS system.

2016 570S Coupe
post #3 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
Hey guys, still learning about my car and since I just got my IRIS fixed few weeks ago, been toying with it and thinking it would be nice to add third party applications to the IRIS like WAZE for instance. Is there a way to do so?

there was a user FTYL that showed some screenshots of a "rooted" iris
but his posts are now gone and he/she never shared how to do it.

hoax? not sure

maybe someone saved pages

if I was more of a techy, I would try to download a rooting app via the mobile browser and see if that would unlock the system.

Last edited by Firstkill; 01-11-2017 at 02:37 AM.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 07:30 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstkill View Post
there was a user FTYL that showed some screenshots of a "rooted" iris
but his posts are now gone and he/she never shared how to do it.

hoax? not sure

maybe someone saved pages

if I was more of a techy, I would try to download a rooting app via the mobile browser and see if that would unlock the system.
Yep. I added posts about it in item 5 in the FAQs here:
FAQ:Common McLaren Questions & Problems

Last edited by ZombiePhysicist; 01-11-2017 at 07:40 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
Yep. I added posts about it in item 5 in the FAQs here:
FAQ:Common McLaren Questions & Problems
Thank you, but for some reason, I cannot view those IRIS jail brake pages. Links tell me that I do not have permission to see it.
In any case, do you have your IRIS jail broken? If so, what apps do you have and how is it keeping up with the applications?

Last edited by SFBayArea; 01-11-2017 at 03:25 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 03:24 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Thank you. Do you have your IRIS jail broken? If so, what apps do you have and how is it keeping up with the applications?
No, if you look at the posts, FTYL never shared how he accomplished the jailbreak/side loading. And since I haven't played around enough with Android, I wasn't going to risk messing up my IRIS. Would love it if someone would do this.

Furthest I got was that Parrot, they actually make our IRIS device, has a website where you can load apps onto the devices they sell, I went to that website to try and download WAZE. Unfortunately, our web browser on IRIS wouldn't download and add the app through their website.

I *suspect* that sideloading would somehow work where you download that app to say a USB thumb drive and then directing your browser somehow to the USB drive (which IRIS probably will see) and getting that app onto IRIS somehow through that method, but I'm speculating.

If you try/succeed at it, please share with the group as I'm sure everyone would love to hear how to do it, I know I would love to figure out how to get WAZE on IRIS.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
I thought this article was interesting in highlighting how OLD the OS is on IRIS 2. From what FTYL found it was running 2.3.7 Gingerbread, and you can see how old and little used that version is (1%) in this article:

https://www.slashgear.com/froyo-fina...ot-1-11471515/
post #8 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Thank you, but for some reason, I cannot view those IRIS jail brake pages.
Sorry, which pages can you not view? The (a) FAQ, or (b) the links in the FAQ to the jailbreak pages? You should be able to see the (a) FAQ page, but yea, I see the links are to the owners lounge, which is where FTYL wanted them, and they are only viewable if you are and owner and have an owner badge.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
if you are and owner and have an owner badge.
Hi ZP, I don't mean to derail this thread, but how do you obtain an owners badge? I did a quick search and nothing came up. I also did send in my S/N for the DB update. Can you point me to a thread on this topic. Thx - OT
post #10 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT997TT View Post
Hi ZP, I don't mean to derail this thread, but how do you obtain an owners badge? I did a quick search and nothing came up. I also did send in my S/N for the DB update. Can you point me to a thread on this topic. Thx - OT
Usually done in 2 steps, (1) show a pic of your car, and (2) send a PM either to @Boxer or @mclarenadmin asking for the owner badge with a link to your message post/photo of your new ride (they are the only ones with the power to flip the switch on the badge).
post #11 of 14 Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Usually done in 2 steps, (1) show a pic of your car, and (2) send a PM either to @Boxer or @mclarenadmin asking for the owner badge with a link to your message post/photo of your new ride (they are the only ones with the power to flip the switch on the badge).
Thank you!
ZombiePhysicist likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Owner

Adding or customizing the apps on IRIS has been one of my desires since day one. I have a background in Computer Engineering but don't consider myself a huge hacker per-say. I can figure things out if I dedicate enough time. To the Original Poster on this thread I started some research and wanted to share some of my findings in hope others can contribute some info as I have not cracked the code yet on how to do this.

Jailbreaking is a way to get into the internal OS of an Apple iOS device. Rooting is a similar term for doing the same thing on Android devices. IRIS/Parrot runs a older version/variant of Android OS. While at my dealer I mentioned this desire to the tech and said oh yeah you have to plug a USB keyboard into the IRIS system and as it boots hit the F2 key to get into the BiOS config. The idea is to tell the BiOS to look at the USB for boot files. Rooting and/or loading files into Android is through a process known as SideLoading. I can't find where the SD Card is on our devices as this is the default place for a boot file to be searched for. Supposedly if you can get into the BiOS you can change this but I had no luck with the USB keyboard getting into any BiOS settings. I have a rootexplorer file that needs to be detected/read by IRIS at boot time to get in. I also attached a text document of the steps.

Here are some useful links that describe some of the process

http://asteroid.doisara.com/rooting-...ndroid-market/
http://atomic-cactus.com/2013/03/23/...mizing-the-ui/

The last link AsteroidTweaker below would be the ideal starting point as it's a utility to boot and customize the IRIS/Parrot OS to address some of the things we'd like to do with our system. I can't get the app to load on IRIS from a web browser and IDK how to get it to copy/run from an SDCard or USB thumb drive.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1298129
http://asteroid.fab-uleux.com/
Attached Files
File Type: txt Rooting_Asteroid.txt (3.3 KB, 29 views)
ZombiePhysicist likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-17-2017, 12:01 AM

ive tried the same thing, browser wont download a file and the usb in the glove doesn't help.
wonder if someone pulled the unit out, if there would be a sd or memory or usb connector on the unit itself that we could access

maybe this weekend ill drag a keyboard in the car and smash f2 while I reboot it.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstkill View Post
ive tried the same thing, browser wont download a file and the usb in the glove doesn't help.
wonder if someone pulled the unit out, if there would be a sd or memory or usb connector on the unit itself that we could access

maybe this weekend ill drag a keyboard in the car and smash f2 while I reboot it.
I know you can use a USB hub with IRIS, so why not use a hub, and plug the USB drive and the keyboard into the hub at the same time?

Ive been using this one without any issues:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.