Hyper800 Drive - McLaren Life
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: WPB, FL
Posts: 682
Hyper800 Drive

Thad from HyperCar was coming though town and offered a ride in their Hyper800. I've spent some time in the tuner world and normally am not particularly interested in modifying street cars. This is particularly true in the MP4-12C in that is has plenty of power for a 3K lb street car (I know, that is sacrilegious here - sorry). Anyway, it was an interesting opportunity so I met Thad for lunch.

The Hyper800 was a pleasant surprise. Sure, its open exhaust is loud as hell but overall drivability, especially low throttle openings, was very good. The turbos spooled up much quicker than on my car (stock non-sport exhaust 2012 PM4-12C) which dramatically improved the day to day feel of the car. I did press on the right pedal hard once as well and the car goes like stink. How much of that was noise and how much was raw acceleration is hard to discern but I'm sure a Vbox or strip run would answer that question.

If you get a chance and are interested in such things, the car is definitely worth a drive. It is not a hack and remarkably well mannered.
V8ray, hesperus and Thad@HCD like this.

Last edited by lolachampcar; 12-21-2016 at 07:53 PM.
lolachampcar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 PM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,229
When you say 4C do you mean the Alfa Romeo 4C or has the 12c got morphed into something 1/3rd of what it used to be......?
isv is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 12-21-2016, 04:40 PM
kpg
 
kpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
When you say 4C do you mean the Alfa Romeo 4C or has the 12c got morphed into something 1/3rd of what it used to be......?
I used to own an Alfa 4C.. its 2400 lbs so I think he mistakenly said that instead of the 12C.

On a side note, I really miss my 4C... such a fun car... got just as many looks and questions as my 570S to be honest. Its a crazy bargain IMO
kpg is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 Old 12-21-2016, 04:41 PM
 
Valentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 796
With the arrival of cars like P1 and 675LT, the MP4-12C is no longer a "12" on McLaren's scale. As such, I think "4C" is appropriate.

Back on topic, I'm also in the "doesn't need to be faster" camp. For me, the best thing you could do to this platform is widen the torque curve even more. If these cars build maximum torque at say 1700 rpm and kept the top end the same, THAT would be a monumental achievement. You know, for those times when you enter a slow corner, the engine speed is about 2k rpm in second gear, and shifting down to first is not practical.

I'm sure McLaren will answer this call in the P14 platform, but probably by utilizing electric motors at the conventional turbos to spool them up and potentially also harvest energy in the subsequent hybrid models.
Valentin is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: WPB, FL
Posts: 682
Ouch
Tough crowd
lolachampcar is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 12-21-2016, 07:57 PM
kpg
 
kpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
With the arrival of cars like P1 and 675LT, the MP4-12C is no longer a "12" on McLaren's scale. As such, I think "4C" is appropriate.

Back on topic, I'm also in the "doesn't need to be faster" camp. For me, the best thing you could do to this platform is widen the torque curve even more. If these cars build maximum torque at say 1700 rpm and kept the top end the same, THAT would be a monumental achievement. You know, for those times when you enter a slow corner, the engine speed is about 2k rpm in second gear, and shifting down to first is not practical.

I'm sure McLaren will answer this call in the P14 platform, but probably by utilizing electric motors at the conventional turbos to spool them up and potentially also harvest energy in the subsequent hybrid models.
Thats why I am looking to tune my 570, to gain that extra 100+ lb-ft of torque lower in the RPM range.

I assume the P14 will be a scaled down version of the P1 and utilize an electric motor as well.
kpg is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 12-21-2016, 09:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 248
thanks for sharing.

Seems like the Hyper project is among the most thought out AND independently driven car on here. At least that's the impression i get, based on reports from people not really affiliated with the company.

that's a good thing.

no question there's lots of good and reputable tuners out there, but there doesn't seem to be as much objective, VBox or other such verified data to back up many claims, at least relative to say, for Lambos and Porsches.

I'm wondering why this is? just fewer customer cars, given the price point for Mclarens and their relative scarcity?
str8blst and Thad@HCD like this.
hesperus is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 12-21-2016, 10:21 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 28
My data is not VBox but real dyno and I went with the Evolution Motorsports package which I picked up 146 tq and 176 hp to the wheels. This is more than tune!! Turbos, exhaust tune, cooling mods. all I can say is the the Scottsdale McLaren service rep who worked on my car and has driven both Hyper and EVMOS said mine was the stronger of the two. I love the feeling of the car now it's as if someone put a hot poker to the cars ass!! For anyone who needs a little extra I highly recommend them,
ZombiePhysicist likes this.
Boostleak is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 12-22-2016, 03:13 PM
 
Deltron Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpg View Post

I assume the P14 will be a scaled down version of the P1 and utilize an electric motor as well.
Nah. I'm guessing it will be a scaled up version of the 650s with 700+ HP.

I hung out with Safa at an event at Inde Motorports Ranch. Damn that car is fast. There's a good reason the other tuners are trying to get a hold of their setup. They are the only tuner my dealer vouches for and I think they even offer a one year powertrain warranty after the tune.

'12 McLaren 12C | '12 Mercedes CLS63 | '13 MV Agusta F3
Deltron Zero is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 12-22-2016, 06:44 PM
 
str8blst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 116
With all the limited info on Turbo kits for these cars it's nice that a builder/tuner would offer to let potential buyers drive their shop cars. I think they are the only company offering this. I've tried numerous times to get in touch with owners of upgraded turbos and havent found any real info or people that have come forward to give their impressions. Thanks Boostleak for the info on the EVO kit. would love some real world numbers as well!
Thad@HCD likes this.

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC
str8blst is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 12-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Sponsors
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
Thad from HyperCar was coming though town and offered a ride in their Hyper800. I've spent some time in the tuner world and normally am not particularly interested in modifying street cars. This is particularly true in the MP4-12C in that is has plenty of power for a 3K lb street car (I know, that is sacrilegious here - sorry). Anyway, it was an interesting opportunity so I met Thad for lunch.

The Hyper800 was a pleasant surprise. Sure, its open exhaust is loud as hell but overall drivability, especially low throttle openings, was very good. The turbos spooled up much quicker than on my car (stock non-sport exhaust 2012 PM4-12C) which dramatically improved the day to day feel of the car. I did press on the right pedal hard once as well and the car goes like stink. How much of that was noise and how much was raw acceleration is hard to discern but I'm sure a Vbox or strip run would answer that question.

If you get a chance and are interested in such things, the car is definitely worth a drive. It is not a hack and remarkably well mannered.
lolachampcar - thanks for meeting me and your feedback. It was great meeting you and we look forward to attending some Florida track events in the future. I did not forget about your exhaust tips, we have several spare black sets here. Please PM me your address and Iíll ship these out to you.

Once the Hyper800 and Hyper1200 return from Michelinís Pilot Experience product launch in mid January at Thermal, we will take both cars to a local airstrip (that has been made available to us for testing) for the long awaited VBox data. We might have a few other cars there as well to compare. Currently we focused more on side by side comparisons, dyno testing, real world driving, and track torture for real world results and more of a well rounded product.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron Zero View Post
I hung out with Safa at an event at Inde Motorports Ranch. Damn that car is fast. There's a good reason the other tuners are trying to get a hold of their setup. They are the only tuner my dealer vouches for and I think they even offer a one year powertrain warranty after the tune.
Glad to see that you were able to see the car in action there. I heard it was a great weekend and a well organized event!
Thad@HCD is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 12-22-2016, 08:20 PM
Sponsors
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 112
And speaking of real world testing... 0mi-900mi our development 12C was stock. From 901 miles to 26.7k miles, it was transformed in a Hyper800 and nothing but pure abuse for the past year & half
ZombiePhysicist and eMcL like this.
Thad@HCD is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 12-22-2016, 08:46 PM
 
str8blst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 116
Thad... if you are ever in the tristate area I would love to meet up and catch a ride.
Thad@HCD likes this.

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC
str8blst is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 10
I've had two underground cars done in the past, both around 1500hp. You can never have enough power . I won't get a mclaren till mid year, but living in NC, I'll come by and check you guys out.
Thad@HCD likes this.
1fast400 is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 12-22-2016, 11:35 PM
Sponsors
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8blst View Post
Thad... if you are ever in the tristate area I would love to meet up and catch a ride.
str8blst - I actually made a trip all the way up to Connecticut and back this past summer with the car. I will start making announcements when we do a roadtrip or track days. I will make a drive up your way when the weather gets warmer


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast400 View Post
I've had two underground cars done in the past, both around 1500hp. You can never have enough power . I won't get a mclaren till mid year, but living in NC, I'll come by and check you guys out.

1fast400 - PM me if you would like to schedule a visit
str8blst likes this.
Thad@HCD is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome